Captain Corsaro

dougburns

Just had an e-mail from a good friend in England who talked to Captain Corsaro recently. Apparently, he is planning to retire next year. IMHO that will be a big loss for Silversea. He is, without a doubt, one of the two best captain we have cruise with. They don't come any better!

doug, Capt. Corsaro and his CD Fernando on our Spirit maiden crossing (Jan 2010) handling our 25 yr and Lynn and u'r 35 yr wedding vow renewals on the Spirt bridge--remain one of Ida and my tip top cruise memories--what class---Angelo will be missed.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

He is a lovely man ... and I remember observing his manoeuvrings on many mornings. I said to him once "you don't like reversing do you ... you seem to go to considerable trouble to avoid it!"

He seemed to be surprised that I'd noticed and he said, "Manfredi, he doesn't like his captains to prang his ships ...."

He also seemed to be particularly popular with his staff and accessible to passengers.

☑️☑️☑️

Jeff

sorry, but lots of staff will be happy he is going, they probably can not wait and will have a celebration when he retires.

I can think of at least two senior members of staff who will be happy if they never sail with him again. To guests he has always been polite and approachable.

I must admit to being a touch disappointed to read some whom appear to have claimed to have been discussing with SS staff how they like their boss. Why on earth do they think it is their business? :confused:

I find it odd, but sadly not surprising. My opinion is that the discussions are entirely inappropriate and disrespectful and even if true, are inconsequential. I do not believe good staff will ever have this conversation with passengers, only bad staff. If they were working for me I probably would have fired them.

Anyone who has genuinely managed people of varying degrees of performance - will know that effective managers will be demand and expecting managers to improve their performance and will be sometimes monitoring and seeking improvement, and consequently make themselves unpopular. Anyone who has genuinely mentored and coached and managed managers will be highly suspicious of the effectiveness of any manager who is either universally liked or universally disliked. Excellent managers demand excellence, and they therefore often make themselves unpopular.

I am surprised that anyone thinks it is somehow bad or surprising or wrong or negative that he is good when meeting customers and disliked by some staff to me means that he is doing an excellent and balanced job, and I think self indulgent bad-mouthing him in this ignorant way is inappropriate.

Jeff

I must admit to being a touch disappointed to read some whom appear to have claimed to have been discussing with SS staff how they like their boss. Why on earth do they think it is their business? :confused:

I find it odd, but sadly not surprising. My opinion is that the discussions are entirely inappropriate and disrespectful and even if true, are inconsequential. I do not believe good staff will ever have this conversation with passengers, only bad staff. If they were working for me I probably would have fired them.

Anyone who has genuinely managed people of varying degrees of performance - will know that effective managers will be demand and expecting managers to improve their performance and will be sometimes monitoring and seeking improvement, and consequently make themselves unpopular. Anyone who has genuinely mentored and coached and managed managers will be highly suspicious of the effectiveness of any manager who is either universally liked or universally disliked. Excellent managers demand excellence, and they therefore often make themselves unpopular.

I am surprised that anyone thinks it is somehow bad or surprising or wrong or negative that he is good when meeting customers and disliked by some staff to me means that he is doing an excellent and balanced job, and I think self indulgent bad-mouthing him in this ignorant way is inappropriate.

Jeff

My old boss at harvard, may years ago, would say explain it in one paragraph, what the hell are you talking about?

• 3 weeks later...

Captain Corsaro was the Master on our first Silversea cruise in 2005. It was not until August last year that our paths crossed again. During one of his post dinner tours of the ship, we got into conversation and remarked that we had dined with him during that first SS cruise. On the last night of the August cruise, we again were invited to join his table. At the end of a delightful evening he thanked us for our company and said he hoped it would not be another nine years until we sailed with him again.

For a man with so many responsibilities, we were most impressed that he had remembered a casual remark to him a week earlier.

We will miss him.

Regards

Master Echo

• 1 year later...

We are now on Captain Corsaro's last voyage.He will be leaving the Whisper in Southampton.One of his wishes in retirement-to go on a cruise.Though a river cruise.

He has just had an interview with the cruise Director,Vicki van Tassal.A couple of photos-

29300379941_e99fda15e5.jpg.

28755570774_a1dbd0572c.jpg.

• 6 months later...
sorry, but lots of staff will be happy he is going, they probably can not wait and will have a celebration when he retires.

I woked side by side with him and I can assure that Capt. Corsaro has been always very professional with everyone,asallof us he has defects . The only fact that a guest mention the staff compalins is the demostration of the poor prfesionalism of teh crew staff that made such comment.

Ciao Angelo abbiamo avuto le nostre differenze ma sei stato il migliore Cari Saluti NS