Silversea Cruises-free alcohol on board?

AprilNavyWife

I would say it varies a bit from ship to ship; cruise to cruise. That said, my experience has been included Single Malts include: the three Glens and 10 yr old Macallan. On a Vancouver to Tokyo recently I may have drank them out of Macallan so they substituted Aberlour. Other included spirits I drank included Makers Mark and Tanqueray. We are not real wine people but I have always been able to get the Sommelier to recommend a Cote du Rhone which we enjoy when having steak at Hot Rocks. I'm sure you'll get a lot more experienced responders offering more useful help. But here's a start.

Greg

Thanks, that helps some. Trying to convince the hubby to do a luxury cruise line, he's not sure they are worth the extra price. Hubby is seriously into peaty single malts-Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Talisker, Oban, Glenlivet Nadurra...

I keep Macallan's and Laphroaig at home ( just about opposite ends on the Single Malt tasting matrix:rolleyes:) and my dad drinks Talisker. I have had Talisker poured on a Regent ship some years ago; but, I believe your hubby's favorites be available but at extra cost:mad:.

Sorry,

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

thanks, that is what I figured, as he doesn't drink cheap Scotch. Still hoping someone will post about wines, as both of us are interested in which wines available onboard (included in fare). I know you can buy higher end wines (at extra cost), trying to find out how good the "free" wines are.

If you are basing your decision on whether to take a luxury cruise solely on the brands of scotch or kinds of wine poured I would say do not do it. There are so many more elements which make a luxury cruise superior and one needs to consider the forest, not just one tree. It would be like saying I may not buy a Mercedes if I don't like one color.

Thanks, that helps some. Trying to convince the hubby to do a luxury cruise line, he's not sure they are worth the extra price. Hubby is seriously into peaty single malts-Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Talisker, Oban, Glenlivet Nadurra...

Appreciate this good question and the previous responses. Personally, I am not a "Scotch guy", so part of single malts are little above my pay grade.

Below is some "photo evidence" from our Silver Cloud sailing a few months back. I did these photos from the main bar near the theater on the ship. Hope this answers some questions and gives ideas for certain of your options. PLUS, also ask if you have a specific need/interest. Just because a brand and/or type is not shown does not mean that the bar people do not have "it" hidden and/or available from another area of the ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 24,426 views for these postings.

From the Silver Cloud in February 2015, here is a sampling for what was shown and available at the main bar near the theater. The fifth picture shows two of the "best" associated with these beverage options. The bar staff was totally wonderful. Plus, super friendly!! Monteza is so spectacular in being everywhere, flowing well with her super personality and being totally helpful, etc. And Russel is behind the bar doing his magic to prepare great drinks.:

June2015A13_zps6d56japf.jpg

June2015A11_zpshk0spm1d.jpg

June2015A12_zpsmoemxivo.jpg

June2015A10_zpspu6v79hg.jpg

June2015A14_zpsr8wh6gam.jpg

Terry, great pictures of the bottles ..... but what was actually in them? ;)

Appreciate the wonderful and important question by Jeff. BUT, I must plead total "GUILT". I did not personally sample/check each of the liquid items within all of these bottles. If I can get a "scholarship" to pay for a few months cruising, then I can attempt that "RESEARCH" challenge. Any sponsors willing to fund these serious efforts??

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 180,259 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate the wonderful and important question by Jeff. BUT, I must plead total "GUILT". I did not personally sample/check each of the liquid items within all of these bottles. If I can get a "scholarship" to pay for a few months cruising, then I can attempt that "RESEARCH" challenge. Any sponsors willing to fund these serious efforts??

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 180,259 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Research might not help. :D

You might recall the observations on earlier threads that the contents aren't always what is on the label. :)

It doesn't seem to bother everyone though. I remember wifey commenting on the strange taste of her Vodka and Orange and telling me it tasted odd, and me telling her it was because they had somehow managed to mix gin in with the vodka bottle.

None of us like to think of it much but we have to acknowledge the blending and mixing of bottles from suites. The remnants and dregs are not thrown down the sink now are they? .:eek:

None of us like to think of it much but we have to acknowledge the blending and mixing of bottles from suites. The remnants and dregs are not thrown down the sink now are they? .:eek:

Your last comment grossed me out (kind of an American phrase:) ) Although most of us would never pick up a bottle of alcohol and take a swig from the bottle, I am not convinced that no one would. I suppose any germs that went into the bottle would get drunk and die but the thought is truly disgusting. I do recall an issue on Silversea that had to do with mixing bottles. Really hope they do not take remnants from the suites and mix them.

Edited by Travelcat2

Your last comment grossed me out (kind of an American phrase:) ) Although most of us would never pick up a bottle of alcohol and take a swig from the bottle, I am not convinced that no one would. I suppose any germs that went into the bottle would get drunk and die but the thought is truly disgusting. I do recall an issue on Silversea that had to do with mixing bottles. Really hope they do not take remnants from the suites and mix them.

Yes your memory matches mine .....

But what else do you think they might do with hundreds of partly used spirit bottles at the end of a cruise ... ?

Research might not help. You might recall the observations on earlier threads that the contents aren't always what is on the label. I remember wifey commenting on the strange taste of her Vodka and Orange and telling me it tasted odd, and me telling her it was because they had somehow managed to mix gin in with the vodka bottle. None of us like to think of it much but we have to acknowledge the blending and mixing of bottles from suites. The remnants and dregs are not thrown down the sink now are they? .:eek:

Not sure, Jeff, as to what is exactly and honestly totally true or not. In America, there is a phase called . . . an urban legend. Do not know if that term is used and/or familiar in the UK. It refers to a story about an unusual event or occurrence that many people believe is true but that does not actually happen on a normal or regular basis. It is often a lurid story or anecdote that is based on hearsay and widely circulated as true. This includes the urban legend of alligators living in the sewers.

I do not doubt that maybe some "things", including mixing bottle contents, could have happened at certain times. BUT, how often and/or if it is ship policy and practice to do? That is a different question!! Am I too trusting??

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 110,291 views for this posting.

Yes Terry, you've said you don't want to believe it ... and that was my very point ... but then what do you think they do with them all exactly? Throw them away?

Jeff

After all the butlers and housekeeping go through the rooms. I would imagine most of the bottles disappear down the deck 3....... Not much left for bartenders to mix back in their stock.....

The old saying" happy crew is a good crew"

After all the butlers and housekeeping go through the rooms. I would imagine most of the bottles disappear down the deck 3....... Not much left for bartenders to mix back in their stock.....

The old saying" happy crew is a good crew"

So you think that SS management let the staff take several hundred partly used spirits bottles down to the crew quarters to drink them.

For resale or for free?

Yes Terry, you've said you don't want to believe it ... and that was my very point ... but then what do you think they do with them all exactly? Throw them away?

Jeff

Jeff,

What evidence do you have that the used bottles are re used?

So you think that SS management let the staff take several hundred partly used spirits bottles down to the crew quarters to drink them.

For resale or for free?

The Butlers I run into say; they can only fit one bottle in each side of their tux jacket at a time. So not all bottles make it down.....

They definitely pour out the cheep stuff if management is around.

The Butlers I run into say; they can only fit one bottle in each side of their tux jacket at a time. So not all bottles make it down.....

They definitely pour out the cheep stuff if management is around.

Perhaps they shuttle backwards and forwards until they have cleared all the suites they manage and stashed all these bottles in their shared quarters completely undetected and unknown by management?

Perhaps not ........:D

the last afternoon of the cruise asking if the bottles could be used for the cr bar. We were called and thanked and someone came by that evening to pick them up.

O-no don't say that! Jeff does not like to eat Crow... although he might make a nice stew out of them.

Edited by carefreecruise

the last afternoon of the cruise asking if the bottles could be used for the crew bar. We were called and thanked and someone came by that evening to pick them up.

A few years ago, these bottles did not go to crew bar for several reasons. Today, I am suspicious of this response. Can't believe they would say this....but I do.

On Regent they make it very clear that you cannot "donate" your leftover alcohol for the crew bar. Hopefully Silversea has the same rule.

I'm not quite clear why passengers would think it becomes their property .... I guess it is because they feel that as it is in the suite they occupy it becomes their's. It's easy to understand that point of view but I think it incorrect.

To me the booze does remain the property of the line until consumed rather than merely opened (obviously) and isn't for the passenger to give to anyone or take unless invited to.

In any event I think most people do know what happens to the left overs.

;)