Trivia?

mysty

Myster and I have never tried the Trivia activity on past cruises but we are thinking we might like to stick our toes in for the next one. What kinds of questions are typically asked? Are they like the questions in the game Trivial Pursuit? Any help here would be appreciated. :)

The questions at trivia seem to be dependent on the cruise director. Some CD's use fairly "standard" questions, others ask the questions that can only be defined as minutiae such as how many ridges are on the outside of a dime. Our favorite trivia was done by Kirk Detweiller who did lots of research and put a lot of time into coming up with really interesting trivia questions.

Trivia is lots of fun regardless of whether you win or lose. Of course, winning is better. LOL

The questions at trivia seem to be dependent on the cruise director. Some CD's use fairly "standard" questions, others ask the questions that can only be defined as minutiae such as how many ridges are on the outside of a dime. Our favorite trivia was done by Kirk Detweiller who did lots of research and put a lot of time into coming up with really interesting trivia questions.

Trivia is lots of fun regardless of whether you win or lose. Of course, winning is better. LOL

Thanks Emtbsam! That gives me a good idea of what to expect! I appreciate your input and your sense of humour! :)

Jump in. It an be great fun...or not. Some people take it waaay too seriously. That is time to find another team! Enjoy.

I think sitting back and watching people taking it too seriously is part of the fun.

Make sure you know your collective nouns and your philias and phobias, read "Hello" Magazine and mug up on the names of the seven dwarves (why do I always want to include Sleazy and Queasy?), on the 12 labours of Hercules and on the 7 wonders of the ancient world. Trivia with a glass or two of something bubbly is an excellent way to pass an idle half hour and of course there are prize points up for grabs....

Rp

I think sitting back and watching people taking it too seriously is part of the fun.

Make sure you know your collective nouns and your philias and phobias, read "Hello" Magazine and mug up on the names of the seven dwarves (why do I always want to include Sleazy and Queasy?), on the 12 labours of Hercules and on the 7 wonders of the ancient world. Trivia with a glass or two of something bubbly is an excellent way to pass an idle half hour and of course there are prize points up for grabs....

Rp

Thanks rosepark! It seems that most CC members on these SS threads have an awesome sense of humour! I hope that trickles out during the Trivia matches. :)

You will enjoy the experience. If you are even slightly competitive try and join a team that has a mixture of nationalities including at least one or two smart Brits.

Thanks Silver Spectre! I am a wee bit competitive but not the nose-bloodening type. :) Friendly competition is good for the mind and a boost of adrenaline. How are teams decided? Is there a team captain who chooses? I was usually the last person chosen for sports teams. Might fare better with mental gymnastics. I appreciate your input!

You will enjoy the experience. If you are even slightly competitive try and join a team that has a mixture of nationalities including at least one or two smart Brits.

What are the chances of the only two smart Brits (you and me, of course) being on the same cruise?

What are the chances of the only two smart Brits (you and me, of course) being on the same cruise?

Taking you both out of circulation at the same time might be devastating for the UK. There is probably some law against that. :)

I am pretty competitive and pretty good at trivia, but it is fun whether you win or lose. Questions are totally dependent on who the CD is. They are generally NOT multiple choice. It helps to have a mix of nationalities on your team.

Also helps to have a group of people with different interests and if possible, different age groups.

I know virtually nothing about sports for instance, so I would miss all those questions if left to my own devices. But I am really good with science and geography.

I am pretty competitive and pretty good at trivia, but it is fun whether you win or lose. Questions are totally dependent on who the CD is. They are generally NOT multiple choice. It helps to have a mix of nationalities on your team.

Also helps to have a group of people with different interests and if possible, different age groups.

I know virtually nothing about sports for instance, so I would miss all those questions if left to my own devices. But I am really good with science and geography.

Thanks RachelG! It does sound like a lot of fun! I would not do well with sports or science or geography but I could maybe dredge something up on other topics. On the other hand, I might be totally useless! Then I would feel badly for my team! If we can all enjoy a laugh then it would be great! I appreciate your input! :)

A good trivia team needs

• at least 2 Brits
  • at least 2 Americans, one who is into popular culture and one into sports
  • at least one Aussie
  • the youngest guest on the ship (they are usually the key to victory as they know the answers to the questions our generation don't know)
  • at least one scientist/medic
  • when applicable during the holidays, the priest or the rabbi (and spouse in the latter case)

If you are lucky, some of these categories overlap and then you can add in some other nice people

A good trivia team needs

• at least 2 Brits
  • at least 2 Americans, one who is into popular culture and one into sports
  • at least one Aussie
  • the youngest guest on the ship (they are usually the key to victory as they know the answers to the questions our generation don't know)
  • at least one scientist/medic
  • when applicable during the holidays, the priest or the rabbi (and spouse in the latter case)

If you are lucky, some of these categories overlap and then you can add in some other nice people

Thanks tsavorite! Great answer! Now the trick is how to you identify people in the various categories? :) And seriously, a Canadian in the mix might be useful. At least they would be very polite! :)

Basically have a team that you get along with.On this cruise we were the leftovers-4 Aussies,2 Scots and an American.We have an absolute ball,blend very well and end up being pretty competitive.

Thanks drron 29! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond while you're sailing! I am really loving your pictures and posts! The Trivia thng sounds like great fun! So glad your team is working out! Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Myster and I have never tried the Trivia activity on past cruises but we are thinking we might like to stick our toes in for the next one. What kinds of questions are typically asked? Are they like the questions in the game Trivial Pursuit? Any help here would be appreciated. :)

Very similar to Trivial Pursuit but more general knowledge in nature, and perhaps a bit easier.

As someone else mentioned some take it WAAAAAAAAAAY to seriously.

But we enjoy it and 90% of the time it is all fun.

Don't forget to know The Magnificent Seven! Brad Dexter is usually the one that stumps people!

duct tape, thanks for the insider information! :) I'll have to start some advance research! Sorry your cruise ran into some interference. Hopefully it is smooth sailing now.

Very similar to Trivial Pursuit but more general knowledge in nature, and perhaps a bit easier.

As someone else mentioned some take it WAAAAAAAAAAY to seriously.

But we enjoy it and 90% of the time it is all fun.

Thanks GUT2407! I was hoping it wouldn't require the death of too many brain cells! :) It is very encouraging to get reports of the fun to be had along with cautionary notes about the potentially rabid fanatics. I really appreciate your input!