Snorkel/Sea Turtles/St. Thomas or Barbados?

igo2travel

My kids really want to see sea turtles. We're doing the Victory seven port cruise in December. I'm trying to pick one snorkeling excursion between either St. Thomas or Barbados. If we don't snorkel in St. Thomas, we'll do a beach day. So are the sea turtles more plentiful on St. Thomas or Barbados and are the beaches more beautiful in St. Thomas than Barbados? Thanks!

Here's my itinerary so far:

San Juan, PR - Touring on our own

St. Thomas - Beaching or snorkeling

Dominica - Hiking or River Tubing

Barbados - Snorkeling or ?

St. Lucia - Touring and snorkeling (already booked)

St. Kitts - Ziplining

St. Maarten - Beaching

We did Victory (and we LOVED it!) in March of this year. We went to Sapphire Beach on St Thomas. It is a nice beach & family friendly. DH & I didn't bring our snorkel gear-biggest regret of the trip. Snorkeling was great according to the couple we sat next to. They saw turtles, sting rays & LOTS of fish.

Did Silvermoon in Barbados. Great day-wonderful food & drinks. Turtles were VERY crowded. I got kicked in the head more than once, and it wasn't at all what I had invisioned. It was what I looked forward to the most before we left, and ironically, the snorkel over the shipwreck was more enjoyable.

What I am trying to say, is the best plan gives no guarantee, but I know you will have a fantastic day no matter what you choose! Don't listen to some of the reviews about rudeness of passengers, etc on the ship. We NEVER had any issues while on the ship.

BTW we loved it so much, we are returning to this cruise with our kids in March of 2011!

I can't tell you from experience in Barbados as we are headed there this year for the first time. I am sure their beaches are beautiful. But, the most beautiful beach for me is at St. Thomas. Megan's Bay is absolutely beautiful. Ask your taxi driver to take you there and after that go to the top of the mountain for a banana daiquiri and a view that you will never forget!:D

My kids really want to see sea turtles. We're doing the Victory seven port cruise in December. I'm trying to pick one snorkeling excursion between either St. Thomas or Barbados. If we don't snorkel in St. Thomas, we'll do a beach day. So are the sea turtles more plentiful on St. Thomas or Barbados and are the beaches more beautiful in St. Thomas than Barbados? Thanks!

Here's my itinerary so far:

San Juan, PR - Touring on our own

St. Thomas - Beaching or snorkeling

Dominica - Hiking or River Tubing

Barbados - Snorkeling or ?

St. Lucia - Touring and snorkeling (already booked)

St. Kitts - Ziplining

St. Maarten - Beaching

We did it last year at Christmas. First, you are not allowed to wear fins (keeps you from chasing the animals and scaring them away), so kids need to be strong swimmers. You are in about 20 ft water, plain uninteresting sand bottom. guides bait the turtles in to feed. We saw one group of only 3, don't expect a lot of them.

Archived