Visa for Chile when you arrive by ship

davwen81

We visit Punta Arenas as our first stop in Chile next year on Celebrity Infinity. Does anyone know if celebrity organises visas for Australians or will we have to buy them on the pier??? Anyone who has done this itinerary I'd appreciate your input. TIA [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Smartraveller is a good place to start. http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/americas/south/Pages/chile.aspx

Australian tourists entering Chile through Santiago International Airport required to pay a “reciprocity fee”. Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Chile, or the Santiago Airport on +56 2 2690 1063, for up to date information on fees.

Visas are required for work permits, study and for Australian diplomatic and official passports holders and must be arranged prior to arrival in Chile from your nearest Embassy or Consulate of Chile.

On entry to Chile, a Tourist Card will be issued for a stay of up to 90 days. An extension can be applied for at the Chilean Immigration Office located at San Antonio 580, Santiago; telephone (56 2) 2550 2469. The Tourist Card must be surrendered upon departure. If lost or stolen, a replacement Tourist Card can be obtained at the International Police headquarters or at Santiago’s international airport.

If you are travelling to Chile through the United States of America, or if you are transiting Honolulu or another US point of entry, you are required to meet US entry/transit requirements. Make sure you check your visa requirements with the nearest US Embassy or Consulate well in advance of your travel. You should also read our travel advice for the United States of America.

Make sure your passport has at least six months validity from your planned date of return to Australia.

Australians who overstay their visa will not be allowed to leave Chile until they have regularised their situation with Chilean migration authorities. This can only be done at the Migration Department of the Ministry of the Interior and Public Security. If you arrive at the Santiago International Airport, or another departure point with an expired visa, you will not be allowed to board your flight.

As visa and other entry and exit conditions (such as currency, customs and quarantine regulations) can change at short notice, contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Chile for the most up to date information.

http://www.embassycanberra.com/chilean/chilean-visa-requirements/#types-of-chilean-visas-for-%%hostnationalitiesl%%-and-residents-of-Australia

Chilean transit visa will let you transit via Chile for no more than 72 hours if either you need to enter Chile on your journey to another country or you are making your way to join a ship as a member of the crew.

Generally, you may include dependent children in your visa application if they are going together with you on your passport. You might not have to submit an application for this visa. Find out more

Yes Mic I knew we needed a visa as we got one at the airport this year on arrival in Santiago. However we enter via ship and have three stops in Chile so wonder if we can get them on the pier in Punta Arenas or if the ship organises them as some do for other countries. We are one of the few countries that still has to have one!

Have emailed the embassy so hope for an answer to share later but if anyone's had this experience pls share, thanks so much[emoji4]

Way back in 2009, if you arrived, OR were leaving Chile by air, you needed a visa. (This was issued at airport on arrival)... We have also arrived by ship into Valparaiso, and the ship organised the visas. (This was also an embark/disembark port, but we were b2b2b) We also had earlier Chilean ports and ship organised the visa. I think the 72 hour rule applies if you are transiting..

Sue and Phil

Edited by Big Kev

Yes Mic I knew we needed a visa as we got one at the airport this year on arrival in Santiago. However we enter via ship and have three stops in Chile so wonder if we can get them on the pier in Punta Arenas or if the ship organises them as some do for other countries. We are one of the few countries that still has to have one!

Have emailed the embassy so hope for an answer to share later but if anyone's had this experience pls share, thanks so much[emoji4]

That was why I ended up putting the embassy's link there. Hopefully, you will get a response soon.

Edited by MicCanberra

When we have entered Chile by cruise ship we did not need a visa. When we flew into the International airport in Santiago, Chile we did NOT need a visa but we had to pay a Reciprocity fee at the airport (from memory around US$90). In an earlier post Mic mentioned the Reciprocity fee.

When we have entered Chile by cruise ship we did not need a visa. When we flew into the International airport in Santiago, Chile we did NOT need a visa but we had to pay a Reciprocity fee at the airport (from memory around US$90). In an earlier post Mic mentioned the Reciprocity fee.

Thats how I understood it as well. The reciprocity fee is only payable if you arrive at Santiago Airport. NZ'ers do not have to pay it , so we went straight through .but Americans and Australians had to go back to a desk and pay... (US$100 I think).

Correct, we were on Golden Princess in March 2014 - Buenos Aires to LA. We called into a couple of Chilean ports, no visa required. Only required if you enter Chile via Santiago Airport. We flew Sydney to Buenos Aires, Argentina, had 10 days in Argentina pre cruise, they hit us for a visa, around US$100.

We flew Sydney to Buenos Aires, Argentina, had 10 days in Argentina pre cruise, ....

Ahh.

If I ask DW to shout you a cup of tea and a plate of cucumber sandwiches, she may pick your brain while on QM2.

This may be our 2019 plan, especially if we can organise a cruise back home.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

Ahh.

If I ask DW to shout you a cup of tea and a plate of cucumber sandwiches, she may pick your brain while on QM2.

This may be our 2019 plan, especially if we can organise a cruise back home.

No worries, but I prefer a Strongbow Cider and a bowl of peanuts rather than tea and cucumber sambos, even if they have the crusts cut off, as the poms do.

Uncle Les gives his advice gratis. Not sure if you would get a ship both ways to the Americas but. Princess might do that 75 day Pacific Circle cruise, Sydney return. That would be the one for you, if you don't want the big air travel. It was on recently, few on CC did it.

For your situation you definitely DO NOT need a visa. I did the trip on a ship this year. Great trip.

You don't need one at the airport unless you are staying. I was going straight through to BA - (but my luggage was not through checked as on different airlines.) The tried to make me pay to walk through and get my luggage. Finally someone from the airline went and got it.

I thought that I was then going to have to pay when I got off the ship....but no! Didn't need one as I arrived by ship!

Raina

Raina

For your situation you definitely DO NOT need a visa. I did the trip on a ship this year. Great trip.

You don't need one at the airport unless you are staying. I was going straight through to BA - (but my luggage was not through checked as on different airlines.) The tried to make me pay to walk through and get my luggage. Finally someone from the airline went and got it.

I thought that I was then going to have to pay when I got off the ship....but no! Didn't need one as I arrived by ship!

Raina

Raina

You didn't have to pay the reciprocity fee because you were in transit. We had 10-12 hours before our flight to Lima and a hotel had been booked for us to have a shower, a meal and a rest. We paid the fee. A couple of people preferred to stay in the transit lounge so they didn't have to pay. I thought that we would have to pay anyway when we flew back into Chile later in the trip, but the people who had stayed in the transit lounge on our arrival, didn't have to pay at all. The fee was only levied at the International Airport in Santiago.

Edited by Aus Traveller