Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hi Travel lady,

We are so looking forward to a nic lond day in your City. I visited theer about ten years ago. We had a lovely day in the Old City and then took a cab out of town a bit to a seaside restaurant. It was summer and my young sons enjoyed swimming while we waited for lunch. It was great... but I can't recall the exact location or name of the restaurant.

This time it will be cooler out and I am traveling w/ a friend who has never been to Croatia.

Naturally, we'll want to take time in the Old City (even though I have already been there).

Your thoughts on how we should spend the rest of our long port day would be appreciated!

Will it be swimming weather? In any event it would be lovely to be by the sea or on a beach.

Many thanks,

Bonnie

Hi Travel lady,

We are so looking forward to a nic lond day in your City. I visited theer about ten years ago. We had a lovely day in the Old City and then took a cab out of town a bit to a seaside restaurant. It was summer and my young sons enjoyed swimming while we waited for lunch. It was great... but I can't recall the exact location or name of the restaurant.

This time it will be cooler out and I am traveling w/ a friend who has never been to Croatia.

Naturally, we'll want to take time in the Old City (even though I have already been there).

Your thoughts on how we should spend the rest of our long port day would be appreciated!

Will it be swimming weather? In any event it would be lovely to be by the sea or on a beach.

Many thanks,

Bonnie

Our weather now has been perfect, still many people swimming with water temperature at about 23C. There are many lovely historical sites inside the old town, enough to keep you busy for most of the day. You do have enough time to make the short trip to Cavtat, just about a 20 minute taxi drive or 45 minute boat trip. So many restaurants open for a lovely lunch, you can just pick which suits your tastes. As a local resident, cruise critic does not permit any specific recommendations, just continue to research. Enjoy your day here.

Our weather now has been perfect, still many people swimming with water temperature at about 23C. There are many lovely historical sites inside the old town, enough to keep you busy for most of the day. You do have enough time to make the short trip to Cavtat, just about a 20 minute taxi drive or 45 minute boat trip. So many restaurants open for a lovely lunch, you can just pick which suits your tastes. As a local resident, cruise critic does not permit any specific recommendations, just continue to research. Enjoy your day here.

Thanks so much... you are very generous with your time and knowledge!

To Cavtat: what should be expect to pay for a cab? Likewise, how much for the boat trip?

Which would you recommend? Is the boat trip interesting?

All the best,

Bonnie

Thanks so much... you are very generous with your time and knowledge!

To Cavtat: what should be expect to pay for a cab? Likewise, how much for the boat trip?

Which would you recommend? Is the boat trip interesting?

All the best,

Bonnie

Taxi from the old town should cost about 250 Kuna, one way. The boat departs from the old town harbor, cost is about 100 Kuna round trip, I believe it is 80 one way. Prices changed slightly this season. I would take the small boat to Cavtat, from the old harbor inside the old part of town. I personally much prefer taking the small boat, love being on the water and enjoying the coast. Take Libertas #10 back from Cavtat, it will take you all the way to the Gruz harbor. Bus fare is 25 Kuna, one way per person. Enjoy both, as I do.

How do you get from the ship to cable car

If your ship is docked at the Gruz Harbor, then you can take a taxi to the cable car entrance. You can also take Libertas bus #8, but it will take you much longer since it stops at every other corner. Or take the ship shuttle bus to Pile gate entrance and walk up the hill to the cable car entrance.

Taxi from the old town should cost about 250 Kuna, one way. The boat departs from the old town harbor, cost is about 100 Kuna round trip, I believe it is 80 one way. Prices changed slightly this season. I would take the small boat to Cavtat, from the old harbor inside the old part of town. I personally much prefer taking the small boat, love being on the water and enjoying the coast. Take Libertas #10 back from Cavtat, it will take you all the way to the Gruz harbor. Bus fare is 25 Kuna, one way per person. Enjoy both, as I do.

Your feedback is so appreciated. We're looking forward too a fabulous day in Dubrovnik. The last time I was there, it was the highlight of my trip!

Many thanks,

Bonnie

Interesting information about bus and boat trip to Cavtat. We have been to Dubrovnik many times, including before your terrible war. On our more recent trips we have had no problem using Euros, even for a short boat trip around the islands from the harbour. Is this still possible or should we change money into Kuna. We are on Viking Sea and they already include a tour to and from the town.

Interesting information about bus and boat trip to Cavtat. We have been to Dubrovnik many times, including before your terrible war. On our more recent trips we have had no problem using Euros, even for a short boat trip around the islands from the harbour. Is this still possible or should we change money into Kuna. We are on Viking Sea and they already include a tour to and from the town.

The legal currency of Croatia is Kuna. Some vendors will accept Euros, but they will give a poor exchange rate and any change will be returned in Kuna. It is in your best interest to obtain Kuna from any of our many ATM machines. Both the Cavtat boat and bus will only accept Kunas, if visiting our area may be of interest to you.

First, thanks to all for the great advice.

By checking a link on a previous post, I learned our ship (Windsurf) will dock in Oldtown. Is that a good location for walking to the wall or should we get a taxi? Does the advice on entering at the Ploce entrance still stand for a late September arrival?

We want to walk the wall, ride the cable cars, have a nice lunch (least important) and go to the beach.

Can you suggest the order/best way of accomplishing this.

thanks again.

By checking a link on a previous post, I learned our ship (Windsurf) will dock in Oldtown. Is that a good location for walking to the wall or should we get a taxi? Does the advice on entering at the Ploce entrance still stand for a late September arrival?

We want to walk the wall, ride the cable cars, have a nice lunch (least important) and go to the beach.

thanks again.

We did this when we were on the Star Clipper. I don't know the official names of things. We were tendered, I'm not sure if you are you say docked. We walked the wall. Then we took the cable car to Mt Sid. We used the directions from Rick Steves how to do it, the street he recommended has a flight of stairs I guess it's a short cut of some sort. On top of Mt Sid there's a restaurant with fabulous views with indoor and outdoor seating. The price is reasonable and food was good quality.

We went to the beach after that. It was not really a "beach" as I think of it, it was more a cement patio with stairs into the sea. There were many locals there, as this was July. It was right next to where the tender goes, near the Aquarium. I'm not sure how chilly it is in October for swimming.

thanks again.

Windsurf will not dock, you will be tendered in the old town harbor. Just a short boat shuttle from all the cultural and historical sites. If you are going to walk the entire wall, then by all means go up at Ploce gate. As you exit the boat, go thru the arch, turn right and walk up the road and you will find Ploce gate entrance to the wall. The walk can only be done counter clockwise, this means the most difficult (for me) will be the land side with the majority of steps. Once you pass the main entrance, which is named Spas, and not Pile as tourist continue to call it; you will begin the sea side. Our weather has begun to change and we are now experiencing perfect fall temperatures, about 75F, with some rain here and there. Sea temperatures will drop quickly, it is already far too cold for me but I am a wuss. Many choices for lunch, pick a place off the beaten path with some good hidden gems. Enjoy your limited time here....

Sunday in the Gruz harbor area is not a good choice. We have just opened our first shopping mall in Srebreno just outside of Dubrovnik. It is on the road toward Cavtat and I personally would rather spend the day in our lovely waterfront town. Nothing in the Gruz can compare and the views are spectacular. I would take a taxi, cost is 250 Kuna one way or you can go to the main bus terminal and take Libertas #10, limited times on Sunday. Of course I vote for Cavtat, I live here!

Hi Dubrovniktravelady. We took your advice and spent a lovely Sunday afternoon in Cavtat two weeks ago. Wow! what a beautiful coastal drive from Dubrovink to Cavtat. Thanks again for your help.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady. We took your advice and spent a lovely Sunday afternoon in Cavtat two weeks ago. Wow! what a beautiful coastal drive from Dubrovink to Cavtat. Thanks again for your help.

You are welcome, I love the ride from Dubrovnik to Cavtat by bus just for the views. Weather permitting I will make the trip by small boat, the best time to sit and meditate the beauty of our clean Adriatic. This is a magical place to live...