Quest 12/1/2016 itinerary changes

marinaro44

This letter is being sent out today...

Dear Travel Agent,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we will need to make two changes to the itinerary your clients are booked on for the upcoming voyage onboard the Azamara Quest, December 1, 2016.

San Andres Island, Colombia:

San Andres has notified us that the anchorage position where cruise ships normally anchor is undergoing renovation and is therefore not available for us to use. Other possible anchorages have been explored, but the locations of these anchorages do not meet our safety requirements. We are therefore not able to visit San Andres Island, and have replaced it with Trujillo (Banana Coast), Honduras. Trujillo is the oldest and most historic port town on the Honduran Caribbean coast, and features miles of beautiful white sand beaches and natural hot springs. We will arrive in Banana Coast on Tuesday, December 6 from 9 am until 3:30 pm, and will spend Wednesday, December 7 at sea.

Port Antonio, Jamaica:

We constantly look to take our guests to new and interesting ports of call. Unfortunately, sometimes those new ports don’t live up to our expectations. So with that in mind, we are making one more change to your upcoming voyage. Just recently we visited Port Antonio in Jamaica, and unfortunately it was not a good experience for our guests. We have therefore made the decision to remove this port from our itinerary, and have added Ocho Rios instead – a beautiful beach destination on the north coast of Jamaica, also known as the home of rainforests, rivers and waterfalls. Port Antonio was scheduled for Friday, December 16. We will now be in Ocho Rios, Jamaica on Friday, December 16 from 10 am until 10 pm.

Some guests will have noticed that the change of Port Antonio initially showed Labadee, Haiti as the replacement port for Port Antonio on our website – AzamaraClubCruises.com. Unfortunately, this was listed by mistake. The correct replacement port for Port Antonio is Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

We are sorry about these last minute changes, and appreciate your understanding.

Our officers, crew and staff look forward to welcoming your clients onboard, and are ready to help make your time onboard a great experience.

I would still like to know why Colon and Playa del Carmen were dropped from the original itinerary. I don't recall ever getting an explanation at the time.

I'll see what the office has in the files. I don't get copied on all the updates to guests and TAs, only when there's something out of the ordinary, like this voyage.

Does anyone know which pier we are docked at in Cozumel?? I found 2: San Miguel Pier and Puerta Maya (mainly used by Carnival). Last time in Cozumel (early 2000) we were right near the town but can't remember the name of the pier.

Thanks!

It looks like we're docked at the International Pier.

I'll see what the office has in the files. I don't get copied on all the updates to guests and TAs, only when there's something out of the ordinary, like this voyage.

Thanks, Bonnie. I'm not upset or anything about those two changes, but I feel the cruise line owes an explanation to booked passengers whenever it drops or changes a port after they've booked.

My Mexican geography is not top-notch, but perhaps docking at Playa del Carmen would have avoided the ferry ride from Cozumel for those of us going to Tulum. Last time we docked in Cozumel many passengers going to Tulum became very sick ferrying to the mainland and it just ruined their entire excursion.

Edited by marinaro44

Thanks, Bonnie. I'm not upset or anything about those two changes, but I feel the cruise line owes an explanation to booked passengers whenever it drops or changes a port after they've booked.

My Mexican geography is not top-notch, but perhaps docking at Playa del Carmen would have avoided the ferry ride from Cozumel for those of us going to Tulum. Last time we docked in Cozumel many passengers going to Tulum became very sick ferrying to the mainland and it just ruined their entire excursion.

I am dissapointed on losing Playa. I looked up the ferry and it is 45 minutes each way which means i would have to take a pill do go there. I wanted to spend an afternoon eating and shopping there.

I am dissapointed on losing Playa. I looked up the ferry and it is 45 minutes each way which means i would have to take a pill do go there. I wanted to spend an afternoon eating and shopping there.

Is the ferry a rough ride as far as sea sickness? Was thinking of maybe going to Playa for one day...5th Avenue is kind of fun. Senior frogs for a large Margarita...😉 🍸 😁

I'm totally packed...park, sleep, fly tomorrow night. Hopefully it will be wheels up Wed. morning.

As mentioned before, the statement does not cover all changes. For me the arguments are not very strong. Also nothing is mentioned about whether there might be a compensation i.e. therefore, that people now have to use a ferry from Cozumel. I don't know, but do you have to buy tickets to use it? Anyhow we are looking forward to our first cruise with Azamara.

As mentioned before, the statement does not cover all changes. For me the arguments are not very strong.

Yes, the statement does not cover all changes, as I pointed out above.

If you are referring to the reasons for changing Port Antonio and San Andres Island when you write "arguments are not very strong," I disagree. Would you have the ship anchor in an unsafe anchorage? Are you better qualified to judge the safety of other possible anchorages there than the cruise line and Captain Carl? Didn't you read what passengers said about the earlier stop at Port Antonio? And that Captain Carl specifically called Miami to report the issues at that port? I'm pleased that Azamara was so responsive in reacting to that situation and making the change on such short notice.

Yes, the statement does not cover all changes, as I pointed out above.

If you are referring to the reasons for changing Port Antonio and San Andres Island when you write "arguments are not very strong," I disagree. Would you have the ship anchor in an unsafe anchorage? Are you better qualified to judge the safety of other possible anchorages there than the cruise line and Captain Carl? Didn't you read what passengers said about the earlier stop at Port Antonio? And that Captain Carl specifically called Miami to report the issues at that port? I'm pleased that Azamara was so responsive in reacting to that situation and making the change on such short notice.

Sorry when I wrote it in a strange way. Sometimes it goes wrong when you want to translate your thoughts from one language to another. It's even more complicated when you still fighting the jet lag... The arguments for changing the ports are good, no question about it. For me the arguments about the mistake with Labadee are not that strong. And also that nothing was mentioned about the other changes.

Sorry when I wrote it in a strange way. Sometimes it goes wrong when you want to translate your thoughts from one language to another. It's even more complicated when you still fighting the jet lag... The arguments for changing the ports are good, no question about it. For me the arguments about the mistake with Labadee are not that strong. And also that nothing was mentioned about the other changes.

I understand. Thanks for explaining. Agree concerning Labadee. Still waiting on other two changes.

A guess on the Playa del Carmen change: Azamara wanted to be in Cozumel that day because the Azamazing Evening is being held in Cozumel that night, so making final arrangements, resolving glitches, etc., would be easier if in Cozumel all day.

I understand. Thanks for explaining. Agree concerning Labadee. Still waiting on other two changes.

A guess on the Playa del Carmen change: Azamara wanted to be in Cozumel that day because the Azamazing Evening is being held in Cozumel that night, so making final arrangements, resolving glitches, etc., would be easier if in Cozumel all day.

so people can get sea sick if they ferry over.. not even sure about AZ evening. love the empty ship. depends on what i decide once there.

I would still like to know why Colon and Playa del Carmen were dropped from the original itinerary. I don't recall ever getting an explanation at the time.

Has Azamara ever actually tendered at Playa del Carmen ?

I only ask as on Journey earlier this year we were due to call at Playa (and then to dock at Cozumel) and were very happy as we wanted to visit Tulum and to meet up with a friend. However the stop was changed to Cozumel only and, due to the timing and the ferries, it wasn't feasible for us to make the journey. We were very disappointed ( as were many others) and we never discovered the reason for the change ( other than for " operational reasons").

I understand the first two itinerary changes were made back in late August or early September according to one person's notes. I haven't received a copy of the official notification released and I feel bad leaving you hanging. So I'm going to go a bit rogue and let you in on what I was told:

"Colon was on the original itinerary as a short late-afternoon call which is subject to when we actually depart the Panama Canal in the afternoon, and the traffic in the Canal. With the short port visit in the late afternoon there was no way to operate any meaningful shore excursions (and the additional risk of not having time there at all!) It was felt that Guests would be better served adding more time in Cartagena rather than just having a half-day call there. So rather than have two short port calls in a row, we felt that it would be a much better experience for our Guests to have a full-day call in Cartagena.

The reason Playa del Carmen was removed in favor of a second day in Cozumel was because Playa del Carmen has an exposed anchorage with a long tender ride to and from shore. This area is susceptible to ocean swells that can limit our ability to operate a successful tender operation. These conditions are more pronounced during the month of December when the wind direction contributes to unfavorable conditions. In discussing this with our maritime personnel it was decided that it would be better to spend the time docked in Cozumel rather than going to Playa del Carmen only to have to cancel it once we arrive there due to inability to operate the tenders.

Both these changes were made to maximize the Guest experience."

Thanks, Bonnie. That's helpful. Given the "unfavorable conditions" in December, the ferry to Playa from Cozumel and back could be fun rides for those going to Tulum and Chichen Itza.:eek:

Do tell....is the ferry ride that rough? I've been in Caccun in Nov. and the seas were not swimmable.

To this date, I have not been notified of any port changes. My first cruise with Azamara. Already leaving a sour spot in my mouth. We will be booking another cruise on board, dont't think it will be Azamara.

ADA

PD. In conclusion, we are not stopping in Panama?

To this date, I have not been notified of any port changes. My first cruise with Azamara. Already leaving a sour spot in my mouth. We will be booking another cruise on board, dont't think it will be Azamara.

ADA

PD. In conclusion, we are not stopping in Panama?

No, we'll go through the locks into Gatun Lake and then turn around and exit via the locks. Colon really is not an attractive port. The attractive Panama port is on the Pacific coast of Panama, and this cruise does not go through to the Pacific.

Did you booking go to an agent? If so, Azamara would have notified the agent, not you directly. We received notice from our agent.

Just got call from my TA about 20 minutes ago, less than 24 hours before boarding time, about the change in Panama. Port is nothing to write about, but I like their artisan products of embroidery.

Done that Gatun locks before. Costa Rica s another port with nothing to do in port. Stayed on board last two cruises and this one makes three. Been to all the ports before except Ocho Rios. I have been to all the islands, I am originally from Puerto Rico and live in Miami. See you all tomorrow! Really looking forward to this cruise.

ADA