Approximate boarding time help please

CaraLark

So, let me be clear - I'm not seeking to see how I can board early, I'm just asking those of you who might have a bit more knowledge to try to help me (a newbie).

We go on our first cruise on Ventura in Feb. It's a short 4 night cruise leaving Southampton 15th Feb.

We are booked into a Superior Deluxe cabin on deck D.

We are planning to travel down to Southampton via train. There is a fair difference in train prices! I'm considering purchasing Advance tickets down as they are half price, of course Advance tickets are specified trains at specified times.

I'm aware if we arrive early we can not expect to be boarded sooner, but I'm just wondering if any can shed any light on what time we might board, so that I can try to gauge which train to book. Perfectly happy to find somewhere for a coffee if we have a little wait!

Many thanks,

:)

Assuming that you don't qualify for priority boarding, you will most likely get a slot between 1.30pm and 3.30pm, probably towards the later end of that time window. I would definitely take advantage of cheaper advance fares and aim for an arrival in Southampton at around 1pm to allow for delays. If you get to the terminal well before your designated time, you will either be lucky and board early, or just wait relaxed in the knowledge that you are there and won't miss the ship. There is very little to see or do in the terminal, so have a newspaper, magazine or book with you just in case.

Enjoy your first cruise and prepare to become addicted! Superior Deluxe Cabins are very nice by the way. They lack any shelter, which can be a problem in the summer, but on your cruise they will be an advantage as it will make the cabin lighter at a dull time of year.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Most people on here are quite pleasant.

You would benefit from doing a search on this site relating to boarding times, there are quite a few!

The fact you are a first time cruiser will have no bearing on what time you are given. It's random.

Peninsula Club members who are Caribbean or Baltic level get to board from 1pm.

Members who are Ligurian level, and Suite/Mini-Suite passengers get to board at 12:30pm.

The Deluxe Balcony cabins are lovely. Yes, they are roofless, but that is a bonus as you get more sun, and also more stars at night!

You will have a wonderful cruise. Enjoy. 😊

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

Many thanks both for your timely replies.

I think we will aim to arrive around 1pm. I'm very happy to sit and read if we have a later boarding time.

Whilst it's only a short cruise we are looking forward to it - and have already booked a fjords cruise for 2018 :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, we are going on the Ventura in May, also in a superior deluxe on D deck, which cabin are you in? If it is not to much bother, could you let me know what the cabins are like. We are in D220

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This might be of no value at all, but we have been in D deck superior deluxe cabins twice on Azura (ventura and Azura ships are almost identical in layout) and both times we got a 3pm boarding time.

I think in your shoes if tour train in about 1 pm I would go straight to the terminal then with your luggage...it is hardly worth going back into town again. You may hit lucky and get on early....or you may not.

Enjoy your cruise anyway...😄

Hi, we are going on the Ventura in May, also in a superior deluxe on D deck, which cabin are you in? If it is not to much bother, could you let me know what the cabins are like. We are in D220

We have stayed in Superior Deluxe cabins on both Ventura and Azura and they are very good. The extra space in addition to a standard balcony cabin is significant and particularly useful if there are more than 2 people in the cabin. There are some nice touches like binoculars, atlas, fruit bowl, champagne etc but the extra space is the highlight.

There are a few minor issues to be aware of. The sofa bed (if used) does block access to the balcony when in use, but can be quickly folded (unmade) in the morning to watch sail ins (the steward will make it properly when they service the room). As with all P&O sofas that double up as beds, they are not very comfortable as seats and are only really big enough for one person as a bed. There is no curtain to divide the living area from the main bed, so privacy can be an issue, although you have the bathroom and balcony if somebody needs to change in the bedroom. Finally, the balconies are completely uncovered as they stick out from the side of the ship compared to all those above. Overlooking isn't an issue as long as you sit back against the doors, but the lack of shelter from the sun can be an issue. I notice you are sailing in May so this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

In spite of all the above observations, I thoroughly recommend them. If you don't want (or can't afford) a suite, they are the best you can get. Enjoy!

Edited by Selbourne

Been on Ventura twice, C deck both times were 3.30. The usually get there 1 hour before, the first time it was about 3.15 when we got to our cabin the second time, we went straight through. Apparently a coach had broken down and was late.

Hope you love Ventura, we do.

Thanks all for your responses. Many of you were spot on. We have a boarding time of 3:30. Our train gets in around 1pm, and we will probably take a slow amble down to the terminal.

Looking forward to sitting, reading (and probably a bit of people watching) before we get to board. I've made a few posts on these forums - and I've been genuinely happy with the friendly responses. If most passengers are like 'you lot' then I'm really looking forward to cruising :)

I'll try to post some information on the cabin after the cruise :)