Queen Victoria to lose The Chart Room bar

DT_PB_all_at_sea

The QV is due a refit mid 2017 - based on the new deck plans for 2017/2018 Cunard will be adding new Britannia Club Staterooms and ripping out the lovely Chart Room Bar - which is where the Club Restaurant will go. The same as on QE. So far Cunard have been evasive as to this plan, come regular passengers have even been told the Chart Room will be relocated!!! Can't see where. Love Cunard but they are simply just cramming in more and more cabins on their lovely ships - reducing the public spaces for all. Does anyone else know about this or have an opinion?

I'd be sad to see the Chart Room Bar go. It's one of my favourite spots on Queen Victoria.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here, here. QV pre refit is my favourite of the two as well. It will be awful to see that dreadful dark corridor like they have on QE. Why couldn't they have taken part of the Britannia restaurant upper deck instead? Or the photo gallery? Such a shame.

I'm yet to travel on QE, my first trip coming up soon, but when I looked at the deck plans and realised there was no Chart Room equivalent but the Britannia Club restaurant instead I was disappointed. We enjoyed using the bar on QV, reading and drinking coffee in the daytime, listening to a wonderful pianist and drinking cocktails in the evening!

I had a response from Cunard/Cunard World Club:

"Hi David, we will be creating the new Britannia Club restaurant in the space on the ship currently occupied by The Chart Room. We are still working through our designs and development plans for the rest of Queen Victoria’s 2017 refit. As always, we will be working closely with our on board teams and listening carefully to our guests as we define this exciting new chapter of Queen Victoria".

I suggest if you agree that a new bar should be installed you may want to FB the Cunard page.

Here, here. QV pre refit is my favourite of the two as well. It will be awful to see that dreadful dark corridor like they have on QE. Why couldn't they have taken part of the Britannia restaurant upper deck instead? Or the photo gallery? Such a shame.

Carnival Dollar revenue generating pre occupation sorry to say IMHO - they charge a very high premium for Britannia Club staterooms with very little extra expense on their part - same size stateroom, same Britannia menu IMHO the only advantage for the price spike is flexible dinning time. Hopefully Cunard will stop keeping on cramming ever more staterooms in to every nook and cranny they can find!! Having said that I still love Cunard over all other large/mid ship lines.

Totally agree - Cunard are not being direct when asked, I love the room and use it often. With the extra passengers it is going to be a difficult to get a pre dinner drink as it is on QE. Such a shame between QE and QV I prefer QV. Crazy.

We are cruising on QE in December - is it really hard to get a pre-dinner drink, it's my favourite part of the evening :mad:?

Cunard/CWC said:

"As always, we will be [...] listening carefully to our guests as we define this exciting new chapter of Queen Victoria".

Great! So, please Cunard, listen carefully to many of your guests and leave the Chart Room where it is.

Otherwise, removing a wonderful asset of the ship, as the Chart Room is, will be far from an exciting new chapter of Queen Victoria.:)

----

Sorry, I could not resist...:)

• 2 months later...

I was in the QV last October. Commodore Rynd was in command. He confirmed that the chart room would be making way for the new Britannia Club restaraunt. However, he also said that the chart room was to be relocated. That remains a mystery. I'm going to plump for the photo gallery space...

We are cruising on QE in December - is it really hard to get a pre-dinner drink, it's my favourite part of the evening :mad:?

I never had any trouble in either the Queens Room or the Golden Lion. Cafe Carinthia did seem to fill up (likely because of its proximity to the MDR).

Getting the drink will be easy, it's the seats that are harder to come by. The Cafe Carinthia and Midships Bar get very busy before the 8:30pm sitting. The Commodore Club gets busy but we always got a seat there.

I was in the QV last October. Commodore Rynd was in command. He confirmed that the chart room would be making way for the new Britannia Club restaraunt. However, he also said that the chart room was to be relocated. That remains a mystery. I'm going to plump for the photo gallery space...

There's no Chart Room anywhere on QE and the photo gallery is still going strong. I can't see the photo gallery going on QV. It'll be interesting to see if they really do magic some space somewhere!

Now that the photo gallery on the other ships is largely digital they don't so much space to display photos. It is much better. There are computers there and you go on and look up your photos and order from the computer. I love the new set up.

There's no Chart Room anywhere on QE and the photo gallery is still going strong. I can't see the photo gallery going on QV. It'll be interesting to see if they really do magic some space somewhere!

Well the new deck plans show the photo gallery (Images) exactly as it is now - but I suppose there is still time to change that.

We cruised for 21 days on QV in the Mediterranean in August and we would often have a drink in the Chart Room before or after dinner. It is a lovely lounge and we also enjoyed the musical offerings. We were disappointed that the room was always less than one third full and we couldn't understand why more passengers didn't stop there for a drink or to listen to the music. We will be sorry to see the Chart Room disappear but it was certainly not appreciated by the passengers during our cruise.

I worried about crowding in the bars on QE compared to QV. Cafe Carinthia and the Midships Bar seemed popular before dinner on QE. We did not eat in the Britannia for dinner but I do like to listen to the harpist. I never had a problem getting a table in Cafe Carithia. The only crowding I ever saw was in the Queens Room for afternoon tea and the Big Band Ball. I hope QV will be fine too after the refit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The new deck plan shows - i) additional cabins with (near) vertical stern like the Queen Elizabeth and ii) No Chart room replacement.

It hasn't been unusual for the deck plan updates to show added staterooms earlier than showing changes to common areas. I'm pretty sure this was the case with the QM2 update. The important thing for Cunard is to be able to sell the revised stateroom layout.

Here's one test for QV. Does it show Britannia Club as a class of stateroom? If so, does it show the BC dining room?

Edited by Underwatr