Spelling error ship visit

claudiniusmaximus

Hi

Wondering if anyone has ever been in this situation. I've booked a ship visit on the aurora on Tuesday next week (booked it in November) with a friend as a birthday present to him and I've just noticed that they've made a spelling mistake in his name. There is one letter wrong in his first name and two letters missing from his surname.

This isn't his real name but for example they've got it down as 'Robart Davis' instead of 'Robert Davies'. It's a very straightforward name, nothing complicated.

I've just called P&O and they've apologised for the error and said he has to pass it to a manager as it's within the ten days of the ship visit and changes aren't allowed within ten days.

Anyone has anything similar? Were you able to change? I'm sort of hoping that as it's a small error on their part and it's not as if we are leaving port it might be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They might have noticed as we boarded/at security because you have to show ID and the names must match.

From my view it's fairly obvious it's just a spelling mistake and we aren't trying to get someone completely different on board so was expecting it to be dealt with quickly when I called but I got the dreaded "I have to pass it to a manager".

He said I won't hear until Monday but the ship visit is Tuesday so it's very tight.

I really wouldn't worry if it's just for a ship visit. If, as in the example you have given, the incorrect spelling wouldn't be a proper name, then it's obvious that it's a typo. Even if it's not, you have already alerted them. As the previous poster said, you are correcting their info rather than changing the guest.

If it were me, I wouldn't say anything when you check in. They may not even notice, but if they do simply say that you had callled to correct the error. The check in staff are excellent and I am sure that you will be fine.

Not sure if you've done a ship visit before but they are a great way to see a ship. We've done ships tours on most of the fleet, including the few ships we haven't done cruises on. We had a cruise booked on Arcadia once but changed ship following a tour as we didn't like her compared to the other P&O ships we had cruised on. Some of the tour guides are better than others. One or two are real characters. Only criticism would be that they are stingy with wine at lunch. They are obviously doing it on a tight budget as the servings were laughable. Don't be afraid to ask for a top up!

Enjoy the visit. They are a great day out. As an added bonus, you get the money back when you next make a booking. You don't have to book on board to qualify. Without asking, on our last 3 cruise bookings (made direct with P&O via phone), they have given us additional discount (on top of other discounts and benefits) as they had a note against our names that we had done a ship visit. We didn't ask, they just did it! Have a great time

Thanks Selbourne I hope you're right.

I was thinking if they don't call me back Monday as they said they would I'd just turn up Tuesday as normal and if they notice I'd do the whole "what? It's just a typo!" thing as you're suggesting (because in reality that's all it is).

I'd like to get it sorted because obviously if he gets turned away I won't go on without him and I booked the ship visit because I've got a cruise booked on her next year and I really want to see her. I've never done a ship visit before, my parents have done two ahead of booking their first cruise and ruled out Britannia (they really liked it but just too big for them).

Between you and me the selfish part of me would rather know in advance so that if he can't go on I could still go on my own, but obviously I'd never admit to that[emoji6]

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

Hi

Just to let everyone know they let us on. It was the Facebook message I sent that got it done, within an hour or so of that being picked up they called me to let me know it was sorted.

Mixed feelings about the ship visit. We went straight up to the Crows Nest which felt very dark, heavy patterned carpet and a couple of windows had condensation between the panes. Then down through the buffet to the outside bar overlooking the pool with big chips of paint out of the floor of the pool making it look very shabby. I was starting to get a sense of a very old ship so of course started noticing more of that as you do. Things like new carpets but with old, dirty, scuffed door jambs, more windows with condensation between the panes (I even asked how often windows like that get replaced but our guide didn't know).

Then we visited the cabins and we spend ages traipsing all over the ship visit various categories, wandering through narrow corridors, squeezing past other groups doing the same, housekeeping staff etc (I hadn't realised the ship had disembarked that morning and was setting sail again that afternoon). We spent ages on this part of it. Maybe up to an hour. The penthouse suite had frayed carpets on the stairs, a water/coffee ring on the desk etc.

I think a bit more thought about which cabins they were going to show in terms of having them nearer each other. We spent most of our time on the tour in corridors between cabins.

There were various questions about whether the cabins we were being shown were typical size, were they larger or smaller than average (e.g. the website has "regular oceanview" and "large oceanview" cabins etc) but again the guide couldn't tell us/didn't know.

Then on to the public lounges. Here the ship really improved. Has the aurora been through a refit? It feels as though all of the bars and lounges on the promenade deck have been updated. They were very nice and as we walked through them I started to feel much better about the ship. It did feel very small (but we were on a Solstice class ship over the Summer) and the lounges did feel quite small as well, but there were lots of them so I can see that guests would be well dispersed around them. Main foyer nice but again felt small. Really very pleasant public bars and lounges. Cinema and theatre looked great. Windows all free of condensation. It almost felt like we were on a different ship. The glass house looked gorgeous.

The promenade was off bounds for walking around but we were allowed to step onto it and it was beautiful. Wide, lots of loungers. The shabby pool aside the tiered stern is gorgeous.

It did make me wonder if we should have chosen a warm itinerary for the cruise we booked on her so more use could be made of the outside spaces.

The thing is that because we spent the first hour in the crows nest, buffet and cabins, and the whole tour only lasted an hour and 20 minutes I was left with an overall feeling of "hmmmm".

The restaurant was pleasant, lots of tables where you can see out the windows which is good. Service from restaurant staff was excellent and the food was tasty and nicely presented.

Thanks for anyone who commented on my query.

[emoji4]

Edited by claudiniusmaximus