which NY airport

bill_posters_is_innocent

Which NY airports is it normal to land at when using Cunard flight from Heathrow or Gatwick? or is there a choice ?

I will be travelling around for 2 or 3 weeks in the states and need to know which airport to arrange ongoing flights from.

It also appears that I will have to arrange my own transfer from the airport to the cruise terminal when I fly back to NY even though it will be the same day as the cruise leaves and if I wasn't traveling around I would be eligible for a Cunard transfer.

More than likely you'll find flights for JFK as they have the nonstop London to NY route. Newark (EWR) typically would offer nonstop flights from London as well, but unless you're staying in NYC as a pre-stay, I probably wouldn't recommend that.

More than likely you'll find flights for JFK as they have the nonstop London to NY route. Newark (EWR) typically would offer nonstop flights from London as well, but unless you're staying in NYC as a pre-stay, I probably wouldn't recommend that.

Cab fare from JFK to Brooklyn is on the order of $50. How much would it be from EWR?

Flying from the UK to New York, you would fly into either JFK or Newark, New Jersey. La Guardia is used for domestic flights. If you have a choice, you should choose the one that is most advantageous for your continuation on to your other US destinations. Both JFK and Newark are very big airports wth lots of connections. When you return to NY to hook up with the QM2, fly into either JFK or La Guardia as the taxi fare from either to the Red Hook terminal would be reasonable, $40 or so. Newark is far from Red Hook and requires navigating through some nasty traffic in Manhattan. Native New Yorkers probably have more tid bits than I do.

http://www.taxifarefinder.com shows an estimated fare of $64.69 for Newark Airport to Red Hook (range depending on traffic of $57.87 to $98.94) vs. $75.53 from JFK to Red Hook (range of $69.37 to $102.47). Includes 20% tip and any tolls/surcharges.

No experience with the site vs. actual tolls; just putting this info out there.

I live on Long Island, so have never done the taxi from Red Hook to Newark. The distance is relatively the same from Red Hook, but the headache factor with traffic if the taxi goes thru the city, or the toll cost if they take Verezzano Bridge over to Jersey to me wouldn't be worth it, unless the cost of the airfare was dramatically lower.

If I read your post correctly, you will be flying in from the UK to the USA 2 or 3 weeks before taking the QM2 back to the UK.

Depending on which part(s) of the US you will be visiting, it may make more sense to fly to a city to where you will be (first?) visiting.

Returning to NYC to board the ship, LGA is closest, but check the combined price for the flight+ground transportation for both EWR and JFK.

If you will be on the East Coast between Washington, DC and Boston, Massachusetts, you should also consider Amtrak - the Intercity train company.

Aloha,

John

I agree with the posters who recommend that you schedule your flight through the airports most convenient to your travels in the US before your crossing.

JFK will be most likely (especially if you're flying VS, BA, AA or DL).

Newark (EWR) is primarily a UA hub. It is the furthest from Red Hook - however, I often choose it if I'm staying on the West side of Manhattan.

LaGuardia (LGA) is primarily for medium haul domestic flights. While it is the closest airport, it's in the midst of a huge multi-year construction program, so there can be headaches as problems appear (and are hopefully resolved after a while).

I would like to say thanks to everyone who helped.

I have decided to fly from UK to JFK and then do my tour before flying back from my final destination which is Jacksonville FL.

I'm not going to risk missing the ship so will fly up to JFK the day before she sails and staying overnight in Brooklyn.

Now all I have to do is find a transfer from JFK to Brooklyn and also find a

reasonable hotel not too far from the Brooklyn cruise terminal.

Any advice on the above would be welcome.

My general advice for transportation to/from airports and the like in NY is to use a car service for a black towncar or SUV (depending on number of passengers and luggage). They are reliable and competitively priced. The leader, and our favorite is Dial7 (dial7.com or 212 777-7777). We already have reservations with them for our trip in May. Their direct competitor is Carmel (carmellimo.com or 866 666-6666). Arecibo is based in Brooklyn and gets recommendations as well (http://www.arecibocc.com)

The area around the port is pretty unwelcoming. If you want to avoid the bridges and tunnels and stay in Brooklyn, the new epicenter of hipsterism, I'm certain that there are some great options (hopefully close to a subway station for a quick hop into Manhattan if you wish) - I'm sure some people here can help with you with suggestions. Just don't limit yourself to being that close to the cruise terminal.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Here is some info on Red Hook....

http://cruisenewsdaily.com/f-bct.html

Map showing NYC airport locations....

http://nycmap360.com/nyc-airports-map#.WFdal_naddg

I use Black Crown Limo....

http://blackcrownlimousine.com/

Of course there are always taxis available.....

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-taxi-car-van-service.html