ON Board Snobbery!!

davenew

My wife and I are currently on Azura in the Caribbean. We chose freedom dining but though we prefer a table for two we have sometimes shared a table for dinner. Last night we were directed to a table for 6 with a young couple on their first cruise, (this is only our second) and the other diners were in their 60s. As we arrived he was cracking somewhat 'off' jokes with the waiter, (the sort that verge on casual racism) and almost as soon as we sat down he started.... For the whole first two courses he bragged about how he and his wife had taken 15 Caribbean cruises in the last 3 years (!) as well as several Caribbean beach holidays in upmarket beach-side resorts on Antigua and especially Grenada. In fact when we reach Grenada tomorrow they aren't going on a tour as the manager of their 'favourite' resort has instead invited them to join him for lunch..... He also suggested that we all invest in Carnival shares so we could get some discounts from future cruises, seeming to feel that the minimum investment (currently around £4100) was small change. The crass insensitivity and frankly sheer boring bragging made him one of the most odious people I have ever had to be polite to....

I suspect the other 4 of us were not responding with appropriate appreciation for his superior knowledge as after the main course he stood up and said he and his wife were skipping dessert. We overheard her whisper to him as they left "tomorrow we are getting a table for 2"! The rest of us looked at each other for a moment then breathed a collective sigh of relief and proceeded to have a great time for the rest of the meal, and indeed for some time afterwards.

I know people like this are very rare but it's the reason I would always choose freedom dining over club. I couldn't have coped with this couple for 14 nights....

Thank you davenew, I now know what a Drongo is. in 1982 my brother & I spent a week or two with my mother's cousin Tom & his wife in Adelaide. When we went out in the car, Tom, who was in his late 70's, often used to refer to other drivers as Drongos. This was usually accompanied by a fair bit of shouting and swearing. For example "GET OUT OF MY WAY YOU @#@** DRONGO!

I guess that it's not a polite form of address then.

But... I could be acting like a Drongo on a cruise ship because sometimes I do say things that may not be appropriate.

Hi Dave, it is not our job to fix other people's attitudes. We are all different.

The only think I will not stand for is the discussion of politics or religions.

I recently was on a cruise ship and a man from London wanted to ask us Americans about our political American views.

RIGHT AWAY.... I said, "I prefer to not discuss politics over dinner". I will change over to another dinner table if you all want to discuss American Politics." The conversation was changed right away.

Pearls of wisdom from my old dad: He told me a long time ago that not to worry what people think of me because they don't financially support me.

"WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS"!! That is so true.

Sometimes there have been people who have tried to SLAM ME verbally here on Cruise Critic.... but I handle it by not responding in a negative manner. I know I am not perfect and sometimes I do say things that people don't like but NOBODY CAN CHANGE ME except me because it is my life.

I recently was on a shuttle to get to the cruise ship. It was a shared van. I met a German lady who bragged about living in Germany. She did all the talking about her life in Germany and how proud she was. When we arrived at the cruise port in L.A.,California, the Old lady said to me. "I don't want you to look for me on the ship because I don't want you to spend time with me". She thought she was better than me. LOL. I just said to her, "don't worry... I don't want to spend time with you either.". I was laughing that I just had met a racist old lady. None of my business to change her attitude. I never saw her again. LucyR.

I loved your story of the German lady.

I had a similar experience on Aurora many years ago with a Welsh couple who were well up their own backsides.

They hadn't realised I too was also a Welshman by birth and when they did finally twig I told them I was very fortunate to be one of those who benefited from an education.

What fun we all have cruising.

There has always been snobbery on cruise ships and dont see any reason why it will not continue. Cruisers who use Cunard look down on P&O and here are those on P&O that look down on Thomsons.

OMG.

Having sailed on Thomson I then looked up to Royal Caribbean from where I looked up to P&O before looking up to Celebrity and Cunard and finally star gazing at Hapag Lloyd and my first 'natural light' bathroom at sea...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/10/03/europa-2-raising-the-bar/

I just love cruising and the variety of experiences on offer.

Interesting, I was on a cruise recently at a table for six, usually an ideal number IMO. Two American couples and us Brits. And what was the conversation (among the Americans) American politics. So we sat through a week of dinners listening to opinions about politicians we had never heard of, or had any interest in. Attempts to change the subject died the death very quickly and they were off again.

We have dined with some wonderful table companions over the years, but boy have we paid the price with some stinkers, like the Scottish guy who dominated the table and talked over anyone who tried to get an edge in. Later he said to me about a nice young diner "yon lassie dinna have much to say for herself"

DAVID.

That's the Scots for you!! They are almost as bad as the English.

Didnt experience any on the Ventura. On the whole civilised and just full of normal people having a good time.

Table mates were ok, more interesting coupke had East booked on 2nd night si didn't see them again. Other couple spent the 2nd evening with us.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I have met a couple of people like this; and strangely, ALWAYS on Azura. She must attract them!

Some of these stories are platinium, I can't wait for such entertainment. My mother, god rest her sole, had a saying, " Their s&^t don't smell any different to anybody elses" :rolleyes:

Keith (Southend)

Dgs1956

I will have to get you at my table and I will definatly talk you into going to the bar to get away from us Scots, but remember it will be your round.

If you remember from our previous discussions, I am a Scot and I would be delighted to meet up with you on a cruise. My comment was aimed at the poster who thought it acceptable to ridicule a fellow Scot that was on his table.

Have been lucky enough to share tables with quite a few Scots and Welsh cruisers on P and O; all been lovely people. One Welsh family are still friends; we met on Oceana 6 years ago and have since arranged 4 cruises with them.

The few rude people I've come across have been English, nouveau riche and convinced they're better than anyone else!

If you remember from our previous discussions, I am a Scot and I would be delighted to meet up with you on a cruise. My comment was aimed at the poster who thought it acceptable to ridicule a fellow Scot that was on his table.

So Scots are immune from being pillocks are they, lol.

As a sportsman, loyal UK citizen and someone who always supports other UK teams when they are not playing England, then I reserve the right to criticise all Scots until they are prepared to reciprocate.;):cool:

Perhaps you should read the post that I commented on. OOps! I forgot to put "LOL" at the end.

OK,the poster was commenting on a pillock on his table who just so happened to be Scottish.If he happened to be from outer mongolia he would have made the same comment,although posting an outer mongolian accent would have been difficult,lol.

OK,the poster was commenting on a pillock on his table who just so happened to be Scottish.If he happened to be from outer mongolia he would have made the same comment,although posting an outer mongolian accent would have been difficult,lol.

I agree and I didn't have a problem with that. It was the attempt to mimic the accent that I was commenting on. I wonder if he would have done the same if the person had been Asian or African or Outer Mongolian. The fact is that every nationality has pillocks and loud mouths etc.

A fellow Scot?. Heaven forfend.

DAVID

Dgs 1956

Will be on Azura 21/01/17 for my annual treatment of warm weather and a bit of Sunshine, I hate to say this but on our cruise last year we had a very pretentious fellow Scotsman at our table Full Of "Bools In The Mooth" and something you avoid stepping in. Couldn't get away from the table quick enough.

Snobbery comes in many formats, and that includes listing all your previous cruises in your signature:D

#JUSTSAYING

Yes totally agree - it has always intrigued me why people feel the need to list all previous and upcoming cruises -basically who cares