Cruises where children under 2 free?

littysmom

None I know of. We have sailed Princess and Carnival and my nephew was the third passenger rate with his parents. And you will be charged daily tips for the little one as well in most cases. Yet, we have had some fun family cruises and I'm so happy he was with us!

Some lines have restrictions on minimum baby age though, so I'd check that out too.

Try Disney Cruise Line & NCL .

Last time I recall it was under 2 years , just port & tax as 3/4 guest in cabin.

Minimum age to cruise was about 12 weeks on DCL , NCL was 6 months.

Old info but may still be correct.

Call your TA or the cruise line for up to date info.

I just found out my daughter is pregnant. Just wondering.. if anyone knows of a cruise line that has free rates for children under 2.

Thanks ~ Lisa

I think that you will find that the lines that offer kids for "free" will still end up costing more than the lines where you pay for them.

I think that you will find that the lines that offer kids for "free" will still end up costing more than the lines where you pay for them.

Not true. We sailed MSC 2 years ago and it was probably the best value we ever had as far as cruising. Everything else was cheaper than Carnival & RC. They had drink specials, Happy hour, drink packages, beer packages, ect...

Can't agree with this at all. Several offer 3rd and 4th pax at reduced rates, sometimes there is a $99 rate and the adult are not paying more than it should cost if the adults are paying full fare.

Maybe that's the case on Disney which is so much more to begin with. Matj gave a good example. :)

The limits on age really depend on the cruiseline. Disney it is 12 weeks. Most of them it is 6 months for the Caribbean. Most require the child to be at least a year for trans-atlantic, South America or Hawaii. It appears that MSC does not have an age limit but I would check with that cruise line. Good luck finding a cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going on a cruise in 2 weeks with a couple who has a 6 month old they are taking along (they are getting married in the Bahamas)...anyways, they have to pay for the 6 month old! I just can't believe it, the child isn't even going to eat any food. The most it will need is a stinkin towel to get washed off with, yet they are getting charged hundreds of dollars

I'm going on a cruise in 2 weeks with a couple who has a 6 month old they are taking along (they are getting married in the Bahamas)...anyways, they have to pay for the 6 month old! I just can't believe it, the child isn't even going to eat any food. The most it will need is a stinkin towel to get washed off with, yet they are getting charged hundreds of dollars

Most cruise ships sail full. The six month old counts as a passenger. The child will not be purchasing drinks, excursions, etc. This is where the cruise lines make their money.

the child will also generate a great deal of EXTRA work for the cabin attendant.. removing soiled diapers, setting up and breaking down the crib. extra towels for when there are accidents and spit up.

NCL only charges port taxes and federal fees for a child under 2(as long as she/he is the 3rd or more in the room). That's it. All cruise lines even for a free cruise charge at least that much. No one actually travels totally for free.

from NCL's website

Do children cruise for free?

Kids under two cruise at a substantially reduced fare and certain itineraries offer specials on 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom. Infants under six months of age are not eligible for travel on NCL ships.

It is a surprise for many people who learn this. A child takes up a space on the roster, no matter their age or size. Food cost is irrelevant...if they did base the cost of the cruise on the food I've seen many people that should be charged 2-3 times the normal fare. Waste of food in the buffet is a disgrace and many people order 2 entrees at dinner.

Food cost for the cruise lines runs around $12 per person, per day, the real cost is operating the ship...fuel, payroll, maintenance. So it goes back to the fact that the child takes a space on the roster just as much as an adult.

That some lines choose to allow discounting for children in a business decision.

It's an old argument that has been on CC for years.

Yea, I guess I was shocked more than anything learning that. But I can understand the charges. I don't expect children to cruise for free. Not looking for an argument or a debate! It doesn't really affect me because we don't bring our DD's along because they are too young. :p

Archived