QM2 and QE November 12 to December 4, 2016

rafinmd

I leave home Thursday and will board QM2 for the crossing to Southampton on Saturday. After 3 days in Southampton I will move over to QE to visit Morocco, Spain, and Lisbon. My plan is to keep Southampton as my base with day visits to London and the Isle of Wight. The impetus for this is a Seabourn crossing December 7. QE was not originally on my radar but the timing fits and the itinerary looks interesting.

The transatlantic will be my 15th Cunard Voyage, and I am hoping I will be able to be recognized as Diamond when I board QE. That will also be my first “regular” Cunard voyage of any decent length for me. Up to now it has all been either crossings or World Cruise segments. The only minor exceptions were a 2 day minicruise to Cherbourg and an extension to Hamburg, both tacked onto crossings.

I will be sticking with my normal format for posting, mostly narrative with links to a few photos. A companion blog, http://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com will have more pictures as well as menus and Daily Programmes. I welcome questions, although you will need some patience in replies.

Roy

My wife and I will be boarding QM2 in Brooklyn on November 12 for an over and back crossing returning home on November 26. We are looking forward to two weeks of good food, interesting lectures, fine music, new friendships, and especially no election news. This will be our first time looking at the North Atlantic from a Deck 4 hole-in-the-wall cabin instead of a Deck 10, 9, or 8 balcony and we don't expect to miss the open balcony at all. If you are on board then as well, come chat with us in the Commodore Club, Churchill's, or the Chart Room; I'm the little old man wearing a bow tie accompanied by the younger blonde lady.

I leave home Thursday and will board QM2 for the crossing to Southampton on Saturday. After 3 days in Southampton I will move over to QE to visit Morocco, Spain, and Lisbon. My plan is to keep Southampton as my base with day visits to London and the Isle of Wight. The impetus for this is a Seabourn crossing December 7. QE was not originally on my radar but the timing fits and the itinerary looks interesting.

The transatlantic will be my 15th Cunard Voyage, and I am hoping I will be able to be recognized as Diamond when I board QE. That will also be my first “regular” Cunard voyage of any decent length for me. Up to now it has all been either crossings or World Cruise segments. The only minor exceptions were a 2 day minicruise to Cherbourg and an extension to Hamburg, both tacked onto crossings.

I will be sticking with my normal format for posting, mostly narrative with links to a few photos. A companion blog, http://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com will have more pictures as well as menus and Daily Programmes. I welcome questions, although you will need some patience in replies.

Roy

Roy,

As always we'll be following your reports with great interest. Have a wonderful journey from beginning to end!

Thank you Ricki (looking forward to Panama Canal with you) and sppunk. I hope you'll set up your Koningsdam thread a couple days before you board; I probably won't spend any time on the HAL board but do want to subscribe to the thread.

Roy

Thank you Ricki (looking forward to Panama Canal with you) and sppunk. I hope you'll set up your Koningsdam thread a couple days before you board; I probably won't spend any time on the HAL board but do want to subscribe to the thread.

Roy

When will you leave? I'll try to get it set up when you can, if not I'll post the link here for you.

Excellent, sppunk.

This was actually half a travel day in the wrong direction. As a retired Actuary I am still somewhat involved in a local group of actuaries, and the fall meeting was November 9 and 10. Sessions ran until about noon but I only stayed for the first one. It was technically a bit beyond me but personally interesting; one of the Medicare Actuaries was speaking about an initiative to offer intensive counseling to seniors with pre diabetes. The session raised some controversy, as it was designed to increase costs. Clearly prevention lowers the cost of treatment dramatically, but it also extends life expectancy and thus adds to the years when benefits will be paid. The Medicare lawyers have stipulated that increased life span is not a negative cost factor. Probably not strictly true but I applaud the decision.

After a quick check in with my fire house I returned home to pack the final few items and left home about 11:30. My first step was a local bus for about an hour to Amtrak’s BWI station. I had a choice of Amtrak or Maryland’s commuter train; I splurged a bit on Amtrak for the 20 minute ride to Washington. A short subway jaunt and a couple blocks walk had me at the Courtyard Washington Convention Center.

I have long been a subscriber with the Baltimore Symphony. With my increasing travel schedule there are many conflicts with my concert dates but the BSO has a fantastic exchange policy. Still, this year I am running short on available dates and tonight they were playing in their satellite facility, the Strathmore Center in suburban Gaithersburg. It was about a 30-minute ride on the Metro subway. The program, Mahler’s 6th Symphony, ended about 9:30 and after a snack I was back at the Courtyard about 10:30.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/strathmore.jpg

My parting shot will be a bit of parochial pride. I attended college at the State University of Binghamton in New York. Middle Atlantic Actuarial Club’s new President is a former Social Security colleague and fellow Binghamton (much more recently than me) graduate, Jason Schultz. Congratulations, Jason.

Roy

Excellent, sppunk.

This was actually half a travel day in the wrong direction. As a retired Actuary I am still somewhat involved in a local group of actuaries, and the fall meeting was November 9 and 10. Sessions ran until about noon but I only stayed for the first one. It was technically a bit beyond me but personally interesting; one of the Medicare Actuaries was speaking about an initiative to offer intensive counseling to seniors with pre diabetes. The session raised some controversy, as it was designed to increase costs. Clearly prevention lowers the cost of treatment dramatically, but it also extends life expectancy and thus adds to the years when benefits will be paid. The Medicare lawyers have stipulated that increased life span is not a negative cost factor. Probably not strictly true but I applaud the decision.

After a quick check in with my fire house I returned home to pack the final few items and left home about 11:30. My first step was a local bus for about an hour to Amtrak’s BWI station. I had a choice of Amtrak or Maryland’s commuter train; I splurged a bit on Amtrak for the 20 minute ride to Washington. A short subway jaunt and a couple blocks walk had me at the Courtyard Washington Convention Center.

I have long been a subscriber with the Baltimore Symphony. With my increasing travel schedule there are many conflicts with my concert dates but the BSO has a fantastic exchange policy. Still, this year I am running short on available dates and tonight they were playing in their satellite facility, the Strathmore Center in suburban Gaithersburg. It was about a 30-minute ride on the Metro subway. The program, Mahler’s 6th Symphony, ended about 9:30 and after a snack I was back at the Courtyard about 10:30.

Roy

How was the concert? Strathmore is a lovely hall and Mahler's 6th is magnificent, but it is a demanding work as is much of Mahler. Are you spending a quiet Veterans Day in Washington or are you traveling to New York today?

Looking forward to your reports.

John

How was the concert? Strathmore is a lovely hall and Mahler's 6th is magnificent, but it is a demanding work as is much of Mahler. Are you spending a quiet Veterans Day in Washington or are you traveling to New York today?

Looking forward to your reports.

John

John, it was excellent although I wish the BSO would be a bit more realistic about concert ending times. Strathmore is very nice but I still prefer the Myerhoff. My train to NY leaves in about 20 minutes.

Posted from Club Acela Washington Union Station.

Roy

Thank you Rick and Deirdra.

I was up about 5 but did not stray from the hotel until roughly 7. I have reported this previously but don’t think I have on the Cunard forum. I am concerned about climate change. My response has been that I know cruise ships use massive amounts of fossil fuel but reason they will do so whether I am aboard or not. My action has been to minimize use of vehicles that would not otherwise be on the road. Much as I want to travel light I seem unable to do so. My normal mode of luggage is a larger backpack on my back and a smaller one backwards on my chest. This can leave my hands free but right now the big bag is about 43 pounds and the smaller one 30. Carrying that much luggage is becoming a major stress. As I have done a few previous times I adopted a “divide and conquer” strategy, first taking the big bag to Union station (2 Metro stops) and leaving it in Club Acela, then walking (1 mile) back to the Courtyard for the second. I had everything at Club Acela about 10 and then relaxed for about a half hour. I splurged on a Red Cap as my 10:55 train boarded about 10:30, and I have a single starboard window seat in the train’s leading car.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/acelalunch.jpg

We pulled into Penn Station right on time just before 2 but then things went downhill. I was carrying all 73 pounds and started up the escalator when my foot did not go squarely on a step and I fell backwards. I was able to hold the handrail to ease my fall but was unable to stop it. The staff stopped the escalator and a red cap helped untangle me from the bags, which went to Club Acela where I rested a bit. Nothing was damaged but my pride.

After a bit of recovery in the lounge I went back to the divide and conquer strategy, taking first the big bag on the M7 bus to the Chelsea Inn on 17th street. I walked the mile back to Penn station for the smaller bag. I will not be able to use divide and conquer to get to Brooklyn and have reserved a car service for 11 AM Saturday.

The Chelsea did not seem as good as the last time I was here in 2012. The rooms are tiny but generally functional. An oddity is that there is a closet with hangers but no hanger bar. I ended up hanging my coat from the TV mount. I may have had a back room last time but this time I face 17th street and encountered a lot of street noise, often in the wee hours of the morning. I’m on a 3rd floor walkup.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/chelsea.jpg

Dinner was at Panera in Union Square, followed by an evening of work on the computer.

As today’s parting shot, today is Veterans (Remembrence in Canada, Armistice in UK) Day. While all veterans are worthy, I want to mention a particular group. Although my role is now administrative, I am privileged to consider many members of Howard County Fire And Rescue as colleagues. Many of them have worn the uniform of the armed services and continue their service protecting us from natural hazards. Some do this as a chosen career and others as volunteers. On Thursday morning many of them (while others were actively protecting us) joined for a photo shoot and ceremony at our training center. Thank you for your past and continuing service.

Roy

Oh, wow, Roy! I shuddered when I read the description of your backwards fall on the escalator. Thank goodness, you were just "shaken, not stirred!" Have you considered lightweight spinner wheel suitcases? They move so easily and you can attach a bag on top, or wear a backpack. They have been a boon to us.

Meanwhile, I hope the remainder of your journey is much improved! Safe travels!

Ricki

Thank you Ricki. BTW, I had a bit of a transfer error from word to Cruise Critic and I know yesterday was Friday.

I sometimes use wheeled luggage but have 2 reservations about it. One is that it requires me to have a hand to control it. The other is that I sometimes must travel on rough pavements and it can be an issue.

Roy

This morning I turned off the alarm and slept/rested until 6:30. I had not mentioned yesterday that it was warm (64F) and pleasant when I arrived in New York but as the afternoon ran on the wind picked up and it turned chilly. This morning the wind had died down somewhat but the temperature was only a little above freezing.

I spent a lot of the morning repacking and working on the computer and went back to Panera Union Square for breakfast. I returned to the divide and conquer luggage strategy taking one bag down to the front desk about 10. My Arecibo car was scheduled for 11; I called at 10:45 and was told the car was in front of the hotel. After checking out and reclaiming the stored bag we were on the road about 10:55.

The trip was a little over half an hour; as we crossed the Manhattan bridge I got a glimpse of the ship in Red Hook but not well enough for a photo. Arecibo was prompt and efficient and I thought the $33 with tip was a very fair price. Cheapskate that I am, I left my big bags for the porter and went out to local convenience store for a supply of diet Pepsi.

There was a line at checkin but the one for Grills/Platinum & above moved quickly. Priority boarding was just starting as I got to the front of the line with a queue of about 30 people, but by the time I completed checkin I walked right onto the ship. It was about 12:30.

This is both an independent voyage and part of a round trip transatlantic from Southampton. The Britannia dining room is normally closed on embarkation day but open on port days. I have seen it open on embarkation days that are also port calls but not this time. It was up to deck 7 for lunch. Kings Court was far less hectic than usual and lunch was pretty civilized. The first of my bags arrived about 2:30 and the second about 3:00. I was pretty well unpacked by the 4:30 muster drill.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/5146out.jpg

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/my3bags.jpg

Muster on Queen Mary 2 is in public rooms on deck 7. My station was one of the areas of Kings Court. We do take life jackets; attendance is not taken but I believe the stewards do a pretty thorough sweep of the cabins. Staff at the station were supervising seating, urging us to squeeze together and most everyone was seated.

We left pretty much on time at 5. I watched the actual departure from my balcony and then went up to the Pavilion Pool for our sail towards the Verrazano bridge which we passed just before 6. The moon was nearly full and bright.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/moon1112.jpg

I am early seating at a 6-top. There was one empty seat tonight and there were 2 couples, one from Texas and the other from the UK. We are all about the same age. I went today for the Canyon Ranch chicken selection. We left about 7:30, in good time for the 7:45 welcome show.

As today’s parting shot, I was last on QM2 at the beginning of this year. In the meantime the ship has been “remastered”. There will probably be down sides but my first impressions are quite favorable. The new TV does not impress me per se, but the wall mounted TV frees up counter space where a coffee-tea station has been added. Kings Court seems much more organized and attractive, and Carinthia Lounge seems a very welcome replacement for the lovely but little used Winter Garden. I also see little touches like wind screens protecting the doors to the Pavilion Pool. QM2 will never be my favorite ship but it has always been superbly suited to transatlantic crossings. I think the ship is better than ever.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/teaservice.jpg

Roy

Enjoying reading your updates, especially since I will be joining on Saturday. Thanks. I'm particularly interested in the weather and sea state for your crossing. It has been very windy the last few crossing, so interested to hear if this continues.

Funny you say that the Britannia DR is normally closed on embarkation day. On each of my previous crossings, I dined there for my embarkation lunch.