P&O Oriana Passengers robbed at gunpoint

tartanexile81

I have just come across this story on another website about a couple from Oriana been robbed at gunpoint in New Orleans. Has anybody heard anything about it / is it true? I've walked through that area several times and always felt safe - till now!!!

http://crew-center.com/cruise-ship-passengers-fight-robber-handgun-new-orleans

It's good the couple was not hurt when they struggled with the robbers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I remeber a few years ago a couple, ex cop I beleive, getting attacked by a knifeman, they were ok, justa bit shook up. You can walk into Bridgetown from the ship and as long as you keep to the main drag it's perfectly safe. I seem to recal they were walking to Mount Gay Rum visitor centre which is in the other direction through a not so safe district. If you want to go there, best get a cab.

Keith (Southend)

I remeber a few years ago a couple, ex cop I beleive, getting attacked by a knifeman, they were ok, justa bit shook up. You can walk into Bridgetown from the ship and as long as you keep to the main drag it's perfectly safe. I seem to recal they were walking to Mount Gay Rum visitor centre which is in the other direction through a not so safe district. If you want to go there, best get a cab.

Keith (Southend)

This was in New Orleans not Barbados

I have just come across this story on another website about a couple from Oriana been robbed at gunpoint in New Orleans. Has anybody heard anything about it / is it true? I've walked through that area several times and always felt safe - till now!!!

A friend of ours is on that cruise. We have been to NOLA many times and never felt threatened

• 4 weeks later...

Good idea not to venture north of Basin Street. Between there and the river is "The French Quarter" which is a tourist area. The ne'er-do-wells know to stay out of this area.

If you walk up Canal Street (the main N-S street downtown) you will notice the change in demographics on the street as you approach Basin Street.

If I was female, I would not venture further at any time of day and would not wander alone anywhere after dark.

Best advice: don't look or act like a target.

Take these precautions and there is no reason at all not to head to "the Big Easy" for a great time.

There have been a few replies but none answering the question - "is it true?" Is there any reason to believe that the news article is false?