Quest 12/1/2016 itinerary changes

marinaro44

I'm starting this thread in the hope that Bonnie will be able to respond on behalf of Azamara.

Quest has now had four itinerary changes on its 12/1/2016 Caribbean and ABC islands cruise. The first of these, made awhile ago, replaced Playa del Carmen with a second day in Cozumel. Colon, Panama was dropped as a port. Then, less than two weeks from embarkation, we learned that San Andres Island, Colombia, was being changed to Banana Coast (Trujillo), Honduras, and Port Antonio, Jamaica, was changed to Labadee, Haiti.

There is now, understandably, expression of disappointment and upset on the roll call for this cruise by those who had booked this cruise specifically for one or more of the now-missing ports. It would seem to me that Azamara should give passengers an explanation as to why these extensive port changes were made...firstly, because it's the right thing to do, and, secondly, it might help those disappointed by these changes to understand just what was behind the decision to make the changes.

Edited by marinaro44

That's very unfortunate indeed!

I'm purely speculating but could the recent major hurricane have anything to do with it? Are those two ports fully up and running again already? If not and there's still a lot of damage or if the port's capacity is diminished, that might be the reason...

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's very unfortunate indeed!

I'm purely speculating but could the recent major hurricane have anything to do with it? Are those two ports fully up and running again already? If not and there's still a lot of damage or if the port's capacity is diminished, that might be the reason...

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Haiti and Cuba got more damage then other ports.. no one can even guess taking away Playa- which was a short day. .but i never been there. i was just doing lunch and and some shopping. now i will stay on ship. Colon was a short stop too- never got the 4 hour stop as we are not touring for pikc up there. as far as giving us a beach day no real difference than Mexico but we only get boring BBQ. it is the better of the private islands and i am going to enjoy a Cabana and relax with a book.

I wonder if dropping Port Antonio, Jamaica, was following on from our stop there on our very recent Quest cruise. We heard that several of the Land Discovery excursions were poor, with guests being asked to be taken back to the ship early.

Looks like you nailed it, grandma. This just posted by GermanUser on the roll call thread:

"Hello from Germany again!

"We got a few hours ago a info from our TA (they booked for a group of Germans), that they had a word with the head of Azamara Germany about the latest changes. He had then a discussion with the head office in the States. Port Antonio was cancelled because guests on former cruises complained about this Harbour. But now Azamara probably changes the cruise again and might go to Ocho Rios in Jamaica instead to Labadee (99% chance). Further discussion will be done over also changing back to San Andres Island. According to our TA it will take some time until these changes will appear on the Sailing Itinerary."

Looks like you nailed it, grandma. This just posted by GermanUser on the roll call thread:

"Hello from Germany again!

"We got a few hours ago a info from our TA (they booked for a group of Germans), that they had a word with the head of Azamara Germany about the latest changes. He had then a discussion with the head office in the States. Port Antonio was cancelled because guests on former cruises complained about this Harbour. But now Azamara probably changes the cruise again and might go to Ocho Rios in Jamaica instead to Labadee (99% chance). Further discussion will be done over also changing back to San Andres Island. According to our TA it will take some time until these changes will appear on the Sailing Itinerary."

at this point I hope not!!! i am tired of the games. we leave in a week and 4 days before the cruise-sunday?- we can not get onto the cruise on the webpage.

I am not a huge Jamaica person and i would not get off in Ocho Rio- been at least 3 times and i have nothing to do there. ones you done the falls twice you are done.

I know as little about San Andres as I do the Banana Coast. i really do not care where I am as long as not another sea day. I do ont want to be in Coz for 2 days either..

over games.

Colon is VERY scary - I was there 3 years ago - not a place I would ever want to return. It is better to skip the tours from that port and just enjoy the canal from the ship. Jamaica is also not a place I would want to return - glad to see Azamara is responding to previous cruiser's complaints. San Andres is a lovely little island - I am sorry to see this unusual port removed. The beaches are quite nice. I wouldn't mind Cozumel for 2 nights if Azamara has something planned - otherwise that's too much time. I'm not on this cruise, but it seems they are keeping the worthwhile ports mostly intact. The removals generally don't seem like a big loss.

Michael

Edited by TxnAquarian

I wonder if dropping Port Antonio, Jamaica, was following on from our stop there on our very recent Quest cruise. We heard that several of the Land Discovery excursions were poor, with guests being asked to be taken back to the ship early.

I was also on that Quest cruise and heard from several people about the very poor quality and high cost of the shore excursions. People got 20% back. Generally I don't think Port Antonio ready to handle port visits and there really wasn't much to see or do independently in this high crime area.

My understanding is that Captain Carl notified Miami about the problems there. I think it is a good decision to go elsewhere instead.

Colon is VERY scary - I was there 3 years ago - not a place I would ever want to return. It is better to skip the tours from that port and just enjoy the canal from the ship. Jamaica is also not a place I would want to return - glad to see Azamara is responding to previous cruiser's complaints. San Andres is a lovely little island - I am sorry to see this unusual port removed. The beaches are quite nice. I wouldn't mind Cozumel for 2 nights if Azamara has something planned - otherwise that's too much time. I'm not on this cruise, but it seems they are keeping the worthwhile ports mostly intact. The removals generally don't seem like a big loss.

Michael

I would not need to go back to Jamaica for the reason you ,mention.. i did enjoy going to the falls twice. But no real reason to go.. I do feel for Dale as he is from there and I am sure his family would drive to see him.

Colon i was ported there years ago to pick up tours that others and myself did from the lake.. we were by or in a building as far as the gangway.. did some shopping there.

Coz is two full days and i am going back on another cruise. done lunch, beach, booze. .after a while gets old..

this cruise has changed more than all the 37 cruises I ever took with this line.

I am sure Azamara will be doing their best to create the right experience for all their guests. After all one persons hated port is loved by another. I would hate to be in their shoes as they try and address whatever the issue now is with this itinerary.

I am sure Azamara will be doing their best to create the right experience for all their guests. After all one persons hated port is loved by another. I would hate to be in their shoes as they try and address whatever the issue now is with this itinerary.

Agree completely.

I think that, when two (Colon and Playa Del Carmen) of the original eleven ports are canceled and two more (Port Antonio and San Andres Island) are changed, passengers are owed an explanation. This would be in Azamara's self-interest as it might defuse some of the discontent felt by those disappointed by the changes.

Agree completely.

I think that, when two (Colon and Playa Del Carmen) of the original eleven ports are canceled and two more (Port Antonio and San Andres Island) are changed, passengers are owed an explanation. This would be in Azamara's self-interest as it might defuse some of the discontent felt by those disappointed by the changes.

I totally agree here. I had on canceled on Princess more than once but we were told why. Right now I am find with the private beach but i was was looking forward to the NEW port for me of San Andres Island. I could guess one port not safe but 4 changes in Nov is strange. stranger still that my travel agent not getting notices. also we sail next week. six months out a guest might not be happy but that due notice-this is not.

I was also on that Quest cruise and heard from several people about the very poor quality and high cost of the shore excursions. People got 20% back. Generally I don't think Port Antonio ready to handle port visits and there really wasn't much to see or do independently in this high crime area.

My understanding is that Captain Carl notified Miami about the problems there. I think it is a good decision to go elsewhere instead.

I must say that, despite warnings about safety, we did take a taxi tour independently. Four of us went and found the newest looking taxi, with a driver who seemed clean and tidy. He was very pleasant and gave us a good ride around, including going up into the hills and to the Blue Lagoon. Not masses to see, but we did feel perfectly safe. It was expensive though at $40 a head ( tho' considerably cheaper than any ship's excursions).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving.

I understand a communication is being drafted and will go out on Monday. If I receive an early copy of it I'll try to share it with you.

Please know that changes are always our last choice. But that said, some operational issues are beyond our control and some decisions are taken with purely our guests' satisfaction in mind.

Hello from Germany and Happy Thanksgiving!

For us and some other people were some of the ports real interesting because they are not offered very often in one cruise and specially not by German Cruiselines. So we were really looking forward to that cruise. And then Azamara changed a lot of ports. Until Tuesday I did not know about this board and about some ports. Anyhow, we like to discover a few things ourselves. But for us it is even more disappointing when things are changed, because it is not only the cruise we booked. We have to get to Miami, book there accomondation, hire a car etc etc... For us this means we fly on Sunday (if Lufthansa will have service on that day...) and stay four nights before our cruise will start. And then several changes until it comes to a point that the cruise might not be interesting anymore. We are happy to go to Jamaica instead to Labadee. Might be that we change mind when we have been there...

San Andres Island is changed because of the maintenance work at the pier there. Playa del Carmen is removed for a longer stop at Cozumel going together with a beach party in the evening. And the removal of the stop at Colon goes together with Playa del Carmen as an optimization of the route as our TA mentioned to us.

For us and some other people were some of the ports real interesting because they are not offered very often in one cruise and specially not by German Cruiselines. So we were really looking forward to that cruise. And then Azamara changed a lot of ports. Until Tuesday I did not know about this board and about some ports. Anyhow, we like to discover a few things ourselves. But for us it is even more disappointing when things are changed, because it is not only the cruise we booked. We have to get to Miami, book there accomondation, hire a car etc etc... For us this means we fly on Sunday (if Lufthansa will have service on that day...) and stay four nights before our cruise will start. And then several changes until it comes to a point that the cruise might not be interesting anymore. We are happy to go to Jamaica instead to Labadee. Might be that we change mind when we have been there...

San Andres Island is changed because of the maintenance work at the pier there. Playa del Carmen is removed for a longer stop at Cozumel going together with a beach party in the evening. And the removal of the stop at Colon goes together with Playa del Carmen as an optimization of the route as our TA mentioned to us.

I am over Cozumel. been too ,many times. .will stay on ship sunday or go to lunch.. monday about the same. Playa is not that far away from Coz and we could of done both easily. no interesting Jamaica. .landscape is lovely and the falls- again landscape. .we switch again i might stay on ship.

Although we are just a traveling couple from D.C. We agree completely wth the traveler from Germany and that group. Hopefully adding our voice to their group will help Azamara know that changing ports significantly affects many passengers in different ways. Although the cruise contract lets the cruise company do whatever they want after final payment, we will vote with our dollars in booking future cruises (very unlikely) and spreading the word on social media. We look forward to the Monday message, but will be severely disappointed if they do not return some of the ports, some way somehow. We do not want vouchers for future cruises, ship board credits or an apology, we want real ports, NOT Labadee! If we have to go to Haiti, let's go where we can make a difference and provide some volunteer work. This country needs help, not a bunch of tourists at a make believe port.

Edited by Dittothecat
Additional thought