Itinerary change

Mr Piano

Just had a phone call from Travel agent, our itinerary for our Oceana fly cruise in June has been changed. They informed us P&O are removing all Turkey visits for all Cruises. But they have also changed another port of call. Instead of Ephesus(Kusadasi) we now have Katakolon, and instead of Rhodes we now have Sarande. Is this a good or bad swap? we have no idea. Never been to Rhodes so a little disappointing

Edited by Mr Piano

Tell me about it. We are regular cruisers to the Caribbean, and we are on the Azura on 4th Feb. They changed Amber Cove to Grand Turk. No notification (so you were lucky) and we only found out because we went on the cruise personaliser. Even then, it wasn't highlighted.

I'm sure Grand Turk is very nice, but since Amber Cove is owned by the same group, you would think we'd be fine. The travel agent suggested the Cove might be full, but when I checked, it just showed two ships including ours, in there.

I mailed customer services and in true P&O style, they ignored me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just had a phone call from Travel agent, our itinerary for our Oceana fly cruise in June has been changed. They informed us P&O are removing all Turkey visits for all Cruises. But they have also changed another port of call. Instead of Ephesus(Kusadasi) we now have Katakolon, and instead of Rhodes we now have Sarande. Is this a good or bad swap? we have no idea. Never been to Rhodes so a little disappointing

A bit swings and roundabouts for me as far as the Ephesus (Kusadasi?) stop. If you go to Ephesus that is fantastic but Kusadasi is ok -no more as far as I'm concerned. The trade off of Katakolon is the proximity of Olympia. I had reservations about going here as I had incorrect preconceptions that there wasn't going to be much there but in fact found it fascinating. There are local taxis available dockside to take you to Olympia or a train (service a bit infrequent and they went on strike once when we were there) but we elected to do a ship's trip and I definitely felt that the guide had brought it to life for me in a way that a DiY trip wouldn't have done. We thoroughly enjoyed that visit - so one ancient site for another. Quite different but both well worth a visit.

Katakolon itself is a small but quite charming village. You berth in the 'town' and there are some nice waterfront cafes and some decent tourist shops. There is also a little land train which we took on one occasion and went to the local beach. Attractive little bay with rocky outcrops but quite possible to get in for a swim should you wish. Loungers available and there's a restaurant/bar elevated from the beach with a lovely vista from the raised terrace. It's about a half mile walk from where the train drops you to the beach though - and uphill coming back but we enjoyed our visit there.

Rhodes we like very much but I can't comment about this swap as we haven't been to Sarande. I hope you get some good feedback on this one. Whilst I can understand the caution which has led to P&O pulling out of Turkish ports, it is disappointing to have ports such as Rhodes a casualty too. Good luck - hope the changes don't spoil your anticipation and that you really enjoy your cruise.

Edited by kruzseeka

Cannot understand why P&O are cancelling the Turkish ports (excepting Istanbul). Other cruise lines and land based holiday companies are routinely visiting Turkish Coastal resorts.

What a shame. Ephesus is huge and facinating but can be very crowded when there are several cruise ships in. At least you'll have Olympia as consolation.

I love Rhodes, the Old Town is wonderful and Lindos is very pretty. Don't know why they've changed this for Sarande in Albania. We took a tourist boat from Corfu many years ago and found it very depressing. But it may have changed now.

Tell me about it. We are regular cruisers to the Caribbean, and we are on the Azura on 4th Feb. They changed Amber Cove to Grand Turk. No notification (so you were lucky) and we only found out because we went on the cruise personaliser. Even then, it wasn't highlighted.

I'm sure Grand Turk is very nice, but since Amber Cove is owned by the same group, you would think we'd be fine. The travel agent suggested the Cove might be full, but when I checked, it just showed two ships including ours, in there.

Believe me, you dodged a bullet. Our group all put on our surveys we won't go back on Azura if ambercove is on the itinerary. The massive pool had gatherings of brownish mush that were left all day we were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We're due to go to Amber Cove in the new year and from my research, I think I'd prefer Grand Turk since as well as the resort facilities (good Wifi, pools, bars etc) there is a beach there with plenty of free loungers under the palm trees just by the berth. We also got a local taxi to the village a few miles away and found a nice beach bar on stilts - the barman us arranged for a taxi back for us. We then had some time by the pool. So... time on the beach and a swim, local bar and look around then back to the resort pool etc.

I think the resort element at Amber Cove is a bit more extensive with more facilities than Grand Turk but no beach in the immediate vicinity. It all depends on what you're looking for as to which would suit you better.

I can understand your disappointment though - most people book a cruise for the itinerary so it's very annoying when changes are made especially if the reason behind the changes isn't transparent. Hope you enjoy yourselves nevertheless.

We visited Sarande, Albania in Oct this year as a replacenment for Kusadasi. Having been to Kusadasi several times I think it has deteriorated over the years and the local shop keepers are a real pain for pestering, however Ephesus is brilliant and better than Olympia IMO.

We were impressed with Sarande, we hired a car for the day and visited, Butrint, Ksamil and the blue eye. I would be happy to spend a week in Ksamil as it is so beautiful with great beaches and clear sea.

Make the best of it and book another cruise that stops at Rhodes as this is a beautiful island.

Grand Turk is beautiful so you will not be disappointed. When you get on the beach walk towards the end where you will find a nice little bar and the water beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, I should have said....we did do Grand Turk before. It's lovely and the beach is fantastic. But was looking forward to seeing Amber Cove.

Just having a rant at P&O. They have the Caribbean sewn up, so perhaps they don't feel the need to explain.

We're due to go to Amber Cove in the new year and from my research, I think I'd prefer Grand Turk since as well as the resort facilities (good Wifi, pools, bars etc) there is a beach there with plenty of free loungers under the palm trees just by the berth. We also got a local taxi to the village a few miles away and found a nice beach bar on stilts - the barman us arranged for a taxi back for us. We then had some time by the pool. So... time on the beach and a swim, local bar and look around then back to the resort pool etc.

I think the resort element at Amber Cove is a bit more extensive with more facilities than Grand Turk but no beach in the immediate vicinity. It all depends on what you're looking for as to which would suit you better.

I can understand your disappointment though - most people book a cruise for the itinerary so it's very annoying when changes are made especially if the reason behind the changes isn't transparent. Hope you enjoy yourselves nevertheless.

I know we'll enjoy GT. That beach is amazing. But we booked this particular cruise on this date, because it went to 2 or 3 ports we hadn't done. Amber Cove included.

Sarande town is not so advanced as some places but sea front is fine

if running do a tour to Butrint NP or the Blue Eye went there with Cunard in October

We were in Sarande three weeks ago. It is not the greatest port in the world and I suggest booking a trip. Anybody interested in ancient history / archaeology should not miss the chance to go to Butrint national park. It is well worth a visit. We tendered in so that may be a problem for some. It is possibly the alternative P&O have selected because it is non EU and therefore has beneficial tax implications onboard ship. The 'resort' is developing but it still has some way to go!

I noticed that in the latest issue of the Peninsular Club magazine, which arrived today, there was an article saying how great Ephesus was, which was rather rubbing salt into the wound, as I'd been on Aurora just a couple of weeks ago when we called at Sarande rather than the originally scheduled Kuladesi.

Believe me, you dodged a bullet. Our group all put on our surveys we won't go back on Azura if ambercove is on the itinerary. The massive pool had gatherings of brownish mush that were left all day we were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just went to both! Amber Cove is boring, over touted, and bland.

Grand Turk at least has lovely beaches and beach bars.. and you can get away and ride a horse cheap.. without Carnivals intrusion.

Carnival Corp missed the mark with AC! No beach, concrete jungle and over priced taxis so you are "stuck " there or have to over pay for a ships excursion.

Edited by IndyDenise

That's odd, why has stopping Turkish ports led to them not going to Rhodes? It's a different country. I know it's close to Turkey but so are lots of safe Greek islands. Cyprus is close to Syria but loads of holiday companies go there.

Doesn't make sense to me. Unless maybe they are aware of a specific threat? I just checked the celebrity website and they are still going to Rhodes.

That's odd, why has stopping Turkish ports led to them not going to Rhodes? It's a different country. I know it's close to Turkey but so are lots of safe Greek islands. Cyprus is close to Syria but loads of holiday companies go there.

Doesn't make sense to me. Unless maybe they are aware of a specific threat? I just checked the celebrity website and they are still going to Rhodes.

As someone else has pointed out it's probably because they have to call at at least one non EU port to be able to open the duty free shop on board. Sarande will be the exchange for Kusadasi to comply with this requirement. I haven't looked at the Geography but suspect Rhodes doesn't fit into the new requirement to get to Sarande - wrong direction, a lot more miles (fuel implications) and/or insufficient time in port? Pity though - Rhodes is lovely.

As someone else has pointed out it's probably because they have to call at at least one non EU port to be able to open the duty free shop on board. Sarande will be the exchange for Kusadasi to comply with this requirement. I haven't looked at the Geography but suspect Rhodes doesn't fit into the new requirement to get to Sarande - wrong direction, a lot more miles (fuel implications) and/or insufficient time in port? Pity though - Rhodes is lovely.

My cruise on Aurora earlier this month managed to call at both Sarande (substituted for Kusadasi) and Rhodes.

Well, I've just come in and have been dancing around the living room! VERY pleased that our cruise on Ventura has swapped Kusadasi for Rhodes. We just LOVE Rhodes and were desperate to return one day.

Having said that we have been to Ephesus twice and, apart from feeling a bit worried about Turkey, I really do not like Kusadasi at all because to the shop owners who pester to death and we would probably have stayed on the ship.

For anyone who has Rhodes now as a port to replace another - worry not! It really is a beautiful island. Both Lindos and Rhodes town are stunning.

Re the chance to visit Olympia - we have been once and are looking forward to visiting again. The town is nice as well. Just standing on the starting line at Olympia is special as you 'touch' history.

We also have a cruise booked on Oceana for April 2018 so it will be interesting to see if the stop in Kusadasi is cancelled then as well. Can't see that they'd take us to Rhodes that time though as it is the Greek Easter Sunday and everything will be closed. Then again - could be worse :-)

Re P&O's decision to change the ports and cancel Turkey - we are very happy about this and understand their decision.

Well, I've just come in and have been dancing around the living room! VERY pleased that our cruise on Ventura has swapped Kusadasi for Rhodes. We just LOVE Rhodes and were desperate to return one day.

Having said that we have been to Ephesus twice and, apart from feeling a bit worried about Turkey, I really do not like Kusadasi at all because to the shop owners who pester to death and we would probably have stayed on the ship.

For anyone who has Rhodes now as a port to replace another - worry not! It really is a beautiful island. Both Lindos and Rhodes town are stunning.

Re the chance to visit Olympia - we have been once and are looking forward to visiting again. The town is nice as well. Just standing on the starting line at Olympia is special as you 'touch' history.

We also have a cruise booked on Oceana for April 2018 so it will be interesting to see if the stop in Kusadasi is cancelled then as well. Can't see that they'd take us to Rhodes that time though as it is the Greek Easter Sunday and everything will be closed. Then again - could be worse :-)

Re P&O's decision to change the ports and cancel Turkey - we are very happy about this and understand their decision.

I am sorry to disappoint you but I think you misread the OP. Rhodes is off limits (don't know why) and replaced with Sarande in Albania.

I am sorry to disappoint you but I think you misread the OP. Rhodes is off limits (don't know why) and replaced with Sarande in Albania.

Hi Pete from Stoke ;-)

We're on a different cruise. Our info from P&O has told us that in August the 17night cruise on Ventura from Southampton is going to Rhodes not Turkey.

I was skipping before I read the boards. Still smiling ... despite fighting through the traffic tonight :)

Edited by Presto2

My cruise on Aurora earlier this month managed to call at both Sarande (substituted for Kusadasi) and Rhodes.

Rather blows my theory away then! :D Unless they've found the economics work better (for them) ditching Rhodes?? Or is that too cynical?