Russian Visa

brokeville

We're visiting St Petersburg next August on Journey and are in for 3 days, as we plan to leave the ship independently on several occasions during that time can anyone tell me what type of visa we will need?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your title said it all. You will need your own personal Visa's. The visas that the ship's tour as well as private tours use will NOT work for you leaving the ship independently. They will check your Visa or tour ticket everytime you leave the ship and you will need to get this personal visa well in advance as believe you will need a personal invitation and the process isn't the shortest or easiest. Also, depending on where you dock can make the process of leaving the ship more or less complicated. Ships dock in town on the river or in the industrial port where you are not allowed to walk to the entrance. Only smaller ships dock on the river but, our trip on a ship the size of Azamara's docked in the industrial port. Depends on how many ships docking along the river.

We're visiting St Petersburg next August on Journey and are in for 3 days, as we plan to leave the ship independently on several occasions during that time can anyone tell me what type of visa we will need?

My question is what do you want to do independently ?

St Petersburg is not an easy city to navigate if you don't know the language. Private or ship tours are your best bet.

Maybe find a private operator that can give you a private car and guide for touring . They can customize the tour for you .

Many museums have long lines unless your with a tour guide that gets you to the front of the line.

Your title said it all. You will need your own personal Visa's. The visas that the ship's tour as well as private tours use will NOT work for you leaving the ship independently. They will check your Visa or tour ticket everytime you leave the ship and you will need to get this personal visa well in advance as believe you will need a personal invitation and the process isn't the shortest or easiest. Also, depending on where you dock can make the process of leaving the ship more or less complicated. Ships dock in town on the river or in the industrial port where you are not allowed to walk to the entrance. Only smaller ships dock on the river but, our trip on a ship the size of Azamara's docked in the industrial port. Depends on how many ships docking along the river.

In our experience RallyDave is totally correct about the visa issue.

When we were there two years ago on Azamara, we did indeed dock on the river very close to the main attractions.

Azamara offered a shopping trip on the third day, but not being on it I have no idea how much freedom participants enjoyed to wander somewhat away from the group.

However, in general, it is not a port that permits much freestyle tourism.

In all likelihood, the cost of the visas will exceed what you would pay for a group tour (at least for one day) where the visas would be included.

It was so easy doing a small group tour and considering the distances of many of the sites, would never consider independent travel there.

Personally, I think you have been given some very sound information & good advise. Unless you know the city, understand how transportation works in & around the city, speak fluent Russian, know what sites you specifically want to visit, likely you will lose a lot of valuable time travelling independently. Just traveling from the ship into the city could easily take over an hour, depending on where you are docked.

Also as stated, your individual visas are expensive. Use a private tour operator & customize the tour with them for your areas of interest. Certain you will enjoy a much better result, than trying this on your own.

Our experience in Russia was on a riverboat trip from St. Petersburg to Mossow. The boat was our hotel for the entire trip. 3 nights in St. Petersburg & 4 nights in Moscow. 7 days on the Volga River. Can't imagine doing any of this trip or even one city without a knowledgeable tour guide. Our Russian Visa costs were around $400 each.

Good Luck whatever you decide. John

Can't imagine doing any of this trip or even one city without a knowledgeable tour guide. Our Russian Visa costs were around $400 each. Good Luck whatever you decide. John

The cost of the individual visa is more than the three full days of touring including lunch for our July St. Petersburg POC with a top rated company. Our reservation cost is only $355 US$. Glad to know. No muss, no fuss. Thankx.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Try SPB tours.

Our De luxe 2 day tour worked out at $600 for 2 people.

They have plenty of options to choose from. Our tour guide Luba taught the other guides in the winter, so she certainly knew plenty of information.

That's who we've booked with. But I made a mistake, our cruise is Aug 1 on Journey not in July.

Brokeville, have you joined your roll call yet? You'll be able to find out what others on your cruise will be doing.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

• 2 months later...

My friends and I have booked an independent tour guide. She will take us to any of the sights listed in Azaramara's book at a a much reduced cost. She will take care of admissions to museums and visas. We'd love to have you join us. The van can hold 8 people so as long as we can agree on what sights to see, it will be a win-win. Personally I want to see the Hermitage and Catherine the Great's castle but I'm not will to pay Azamara $500 to do so. I have been on many cruises but this will be my first with Azamara. Let me know what you think of joining us with a private guide in St. Petersburg.

Theatrecritic2

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

My question is what do you want to do independently ?

St Petersburg is not an easy city to navigate if you don't know the language. Private or ship tours are your best bet.

Maybe find a private operator that can give you a private car and guide for touring . They can customize the tour for you .

Many museums have long lines unless your with a tour guide that gets you to the front of the line.

Check out TJ Travel, they'll collect you from the cruise, organise a blanket visa and provide excellent value for money and service. We'd highly recommend them[emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums