Attention to Dietary Concerns

nordski

When we first started cruising more than a decade ago, the steps taken to find accommodation for dietary concerns were rather vague and seemed to rely on the thoughtfulness of the staff on a particular ship. That was one of the reasons we were so pleased with Azamara.

The cruising experience has come a long way in a rather short period, and I have commented on these improvements as we have encountered them.

Those improvements have taken another important step.

Completing and forwarding the "special request " form for our upcoming Azamara cruise triggered a next-day response from an RCI staff member with the title "Access Advocate"

In a rather long and detailed email, we were informed of explicit steps to take once on board, the care taken in food preparation, and even appropriate foods (for example, dry) we can bring with us to meet our needs.

The email itself is a wonderful resource and a reassurance to those beginning their cruising career.

Thanks to the RCI corporate headquarters for providing this information in one handy resource.

I apologise that I can't post a link as there is a personal attachment.

Perhaps Bonnie can provide a link and that may be useful information to post as a "sticky".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since the OP said it came from RCI I'm very curious as well. It sounds like a marvelous resource to post.

When I find a copy I'll share it.

Thanks for following up.

The Access Advocate at RCI is Lavesh Dhanani.

Based upon the title I assume the duties extend to ambulatory and other concerns.

Thanks for sharing nordski; great to know!

Floris

You are welcome.

For most cruisers I imagine it's a nonissue, although it does suggest a broad commitment to passenger service.

And for those to whom it is an issue, the attention to dietary concerns provides some peace of mind and the resultant freedom to travel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nordski, et.al.,

I believe I've found the letter you reference!

Please note that this letter is customized according to the sensitivity...

Hello _______,

Thank you for sharing information regarding your allergy to ____ items. We have noted your reservation accordingly.

Please meet with the Head Waiter in the Main Dining Room, and Restaurant Managers at other dining venues, to review the menus and identify selections you wish to have modified or avoided.

(Gluten free)

We are pleased to advise you (Azamara Club Cruises) offers Gluten Free meals as a standard offering on our menu in the main dining room.

All items prepared for guests with food allergies are handled separate from the main food production.

Guests are allowed to bring dry, nonperishable food items such as cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc. Guests may also bring their own individual packets of salad dressings. Guests may not bring on board non-perishable food (items that require refrigeration, freezing, and/or reheating).

(Dairy)

We carry lactose free, soy, almond and rice milk onboard. Please let us know if you would like to request these items, and if so, the quantity you require so we can make arrangements.

Best regards,

That's the one.

I think this could be a big help for those with questions concerning these issues.

Recognizing, of course, that there is sometimes a gap between policy and practice.

Thanks, Bonnie, for your efforts in finding this and making it available.

I was interested in seeing the letter as well.

Earlier this year I researched and wrote a blog post on Food Allergies and Cruising. https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/blog/food-allergies-and-cruising-everything-you-need-know

I have a niece with a son with severe allergies. She had mentioned to me she'd be afraid to cruise, since she wasn't sure how lines handle the situation and whether they take it seriously. So it was a labor of love for me.

Bonnie, I was recently on the Journey and was limited mainly to eggs in my breakfast options, as I have Celiac disease and need to be gluten-free. Since gluten-free oats are available, would it be possible for Azamara to use them in the oatmeal offered in Windows, instead of regular oats? That would give others another breakfast option. Gluten free oats may be a bit more expensive, but they can be used to make many more gluten-free dishes/deserts available to

passengers.

Thanks.

Bonnie, I was recently on the Journey and was limited mainly to eggs in my breakfast options, as I have Celiac disease and need to be gluten-free. Since gluten-free oats are available, would it be possible for Azamara to use them in the oatmeal offered in Windows, instead of regular oats? That would give others another breakfast option. Gluten free oats may be a bit more expensive, but they can be used to make many more gluten-free dishes/deserts available to passengers.

Thanks.

Hi travelinjudy,

I'll pass your suggestion along.

Out of curiosity did you meet with the Restaurant Manager, or Chef, when you boarded, to let them know of your food sensitivities?

Did you ask them if they had gluten-free oats onboard? I ask because it does seem like something they'd have in the cupboard :)

Bonnie, I was recently on the Journey and was limited mainly to eggs in my breakfast options, as I have Celiac disease and need to be gluten-free. Since gluten-free oats are available, would it be possible for Azamara to use them in the oatmeal offered in Windows, instead of regular oats? That would give others another breakfast option. Gluten free oats may be a bit more expensive, but they can be used to make many more gluten-free dishes/deserts available to

passengers.

Thanks.

Good news. Our procurement team has agreed to put gluten-free oatmeal on the ships' shopping list to be available for your future cruises.

As I understand it, the chefs will not replace the standard oatmeal with gluten-free oatmeal, but will have it available upon request for you.

Caveat...I'm not sure when the first order will reach each of the ships, but please know it is coming.

Thanks for the good suggestion :)

Good news. Our procurement team has agreed to put gluten-free oatmeal on the ships' shopping list to be available for your future cruises.

As I understand it, the chefs will not replace the standard oatmeal with gluten-free oatmeal, but will have it available upon request for you.

Caveat...I'm not sure when the first order will reach each of the ships, but please know it is coming.

Thanks for the good suggestion :)

Hi Bonnie,

That's great news! I'm thrilled about that!

I did not ask for it during my recent trip because I didn't think it was available. It was my first trip since I was diagnosed as Celliac, so I was still learning about how to do things. I did meet with the Restaurant Manager when I boarded, but since I almost never eat in the restaurant (I normally eat in Windows or on the Patio, it wasn't as easy. And there was a plethora of gluten-free deserts, but it's the main dishes, soups or salads that were somewhat limited as to gluten-free.

At any rate, my thanks to you and all for the change. I won't have to bring it from home now!;).