Drinking water in cabins?

Harry Peterson

The water from the taps in your bathroom is exactly the same as the water that you are served in the dining room with your meals. It is excellent quality - if you think about it, it has to be - and in my opinion makes a better cup of tea than bottled water!

Apparently if you don't like the taste fill your bottle, leave the top off and put it in the fridge. The smelly stuff is meant to evaporate. :)

Ships water is purer than the bottled stuff so buy a 'posh' bottle of your choice and enjoy good water for free ;)

If you really don't like the taste buy some of those concentrated fruit squirty things and flavour the water.

The water from the taps in your bathroom is exactly the same as the water that you are served in the dining room with your meals. It is excellent quality - if you think about it, it has to be - and in my opinion makes a better cup of tea than bottled water!

The only issue we had on Britannia was that the coldest the water in the bathroom got was still luke warm

Is it still drinkable but unpleasant tasting? Worth taking a few bottles of water on with you?

Buying 6 large bottles for £10 from the cabin steward is not extortionate. I know you can buy similar ashore more cheaply but it certainly beats packing bottles of water in luggage.

The only issue we had on Britannia was that the coldest the water in the bathroom got was still luke warm

Still the case, the tap cold water is warm and the shower hot is tepid even at the 50C setting.

I drink a lot of water and cannot stand the stuff that comes out of the tap in your cabin. Maybe it's because I'm used to drinking lovely tasteless water in Scotland? The P&O water is tepid and tastes like bleach. I have tried storing it in the fridge, boiling it, using a water filter etc etc but it still tastes vile. I am taking a bottle of orange squash in Jan so will try that. I always take bottles onboard, sometimes order the 5 + 1 free package with P&O and buy a bottle in every port.

I have a recollection that the tap water in the bathroom isn't purified to the same level as that served in the restaurants.

I drink quite a few pints of water a day and find the water served in the restaurants to be great and tasteless as it should be. Conversely, the water from the bathroom taps definitely has a taint to it.

I don't think it would do you any harm, but it's definitely not as pure.

I am fairly certain that the tap water on P&O is the same whether in the galley or your cabin, I know it is on a Celebrity since I have sat through their environmental presentation on the Eclipse 2 or 3 times.

The difference is that the water in the MDR is iced and in jugs, so its cold and aerated, we store our tap water in unsealed bottles in the room fridge, and once cooled it tastes identical to the free bottles you are given on embarkation, and no different to the wonderful West Yorkshire tap water we are used to.

The water from your cabin tap is exactly the same as that served in the restaurant, the only difference is that it's been cooled.

If you don't like the taste/smell then put it in a bottle, leave the lid off, and put it in your fridge for 24 hours or so. All of the natural gasses that give it a chemical taste will have evaporated, and it will be nice and cold.

By law, all drinking water on a cruise ship has to be passed by the Chief Engineer.

VP

The water from your cabin tap is exactly the same as that served in the restaurant, the only difference is that it's been cooled.

If you don't like the taste/smell then put it in a bottle, leave the lid off, and put it in your fridge for 24 hours or so. All of the natural gasses that give it a chemical taste will have evaporated, and it will be nice and cold.

By law, all drinking water on a cruise ship has to be passed by the Chief Engineer.

VP

OMG! that poor man having to pass all that water :D

VP

The water in the bars, restaurants etc. will have passed through a carbon filter to remove the chlorination. The water in your bathroom tap has not. As you said, if you leave a bottle of said tap water open for a few hours, the chlorine will dissipate naturally. Poster Chengkp75 is a chief engineer and has posted many times on this subject.

The water in the bars, restaurants etc. will have passed through a carbon filter to remove the chlorination. The water in your bathroom tap has not. As you said, if you leave a bottle of said tap water open for a few hours, the chlorine will dissipate naturally. Poster Chengkp75 is a chief engineer and has posted many times on this subject.

Do you believe in Father Christmas and the Tooth fairy as well?:rolleyes:;)

I avoid drinking cabin tap water as it tastes a bit chlorinated. So bottled water is preferred by me. In addition I also avoid the soft drinks from the "mixer guns" in bars. They do small bottles of Pepsi for £1.00 and a couple of these is about same price as a large Pepsi from the bars' mixers. If you want some stock for your cabin remember to take a crown cork opener and tell them not to open the bottles. If you have children they can have a bottle each for price of a big soda.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

As far as I remember, It's only the water from the dispensing machines in the buffet that will have been through a carbon filter. The water provided in the bars, restaurants etc. will have come straight from a tap and won't have been filtered.

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

VP

I have tried that but I still find it has an unpleasant taste

As far as I remember, It's only the water from the dispensing machines in the buffet that will have been through a carbon filter. The water provided in the bars, restaurants etc. will have come straight from a tap and won't have been filtered.

VP

That also seems to be confirmed by Chengkp75, Steve's chief engineer, only the drink dispensers in the buffet and bars have the charcoal filters, all the water in the MDR, ice- making machines and food prep is standard non filtered, and the filters are only there to reduce the maintenance on the machines not for purity reasons.

We prefer not to have the ship's water and it causes me to get swollen legs. I also get an upset stomach so prefer to stick to the bottled water. On P&O it isn't too expensive so we order the 6 bottles from the cabin steward and at meal times. I know that some people prefer not to worry about it but it is 'too each their own'.

Now on US ships the water is expensive so we tend to buy it in port and bring it on!

I have tried that but I still find it has an unpleasant taste

That's fine; the water will taste quite different from that you are used to / drink at home, so as you know that then take some onboard and buy some at ports or from the the ship. I do the same when I travel to Florida; the water there, although perfectly good to drink, tastes horrible to me.... fortunately the cocktails are pretty damn good :)