Improved internet on QM2

newcruise

I have been pleasantly surprised by the speed and new interface for onboard internet this trip. Finally!

QE as well! It was extremely reliable on our recent voyage and the log-in and management was flawless. There were wireless access point visible all along the corridors and also one in our cabin. I never found a spot where the WiFi signal was weak and never had a drop out even when the ship was bouncing around a bit.

It was a world of difference from out Celebrity voyage in May, where, despite supposedly having a much vaunted, all new, super fast internet, it was absolutely rubbish. The interface was poorly set up as well and it was a frustration every single day, even when moored up in port. It's not like we were sailing around Antarctica either, we were at reasonable latitudes in Europe.

In comparison, Cunard could rightly be crowing about how good the internet is.

I'm happy for you Newcruise! It wasn't good at all when we crossed in October, actually somewhat worse than on other cruise lines. We are on QM2 again Dec. 15 and will hope for the best...actually we have no other option other than to turn off the computers altogether.

It was a world of difference from out Celebrity voyage in May, where, despite supposedly having a much vaunted, all new, super fast internet, it was absolutely rubbish. The interface was poorly set up as well and it was a frustration every single day, even when moored up in port. It's not like we were sailing around Antarctica either, we were at reasonable latitudes in Europe.

In comparison, Cunard could rightly be crowing about how good the internet is.

I was on the Celebrity Summit in September and the internet service was very good and the interface very easy to use. Much better than my previous experience with the internet on Cunard. Good to see that they have improved their offering.

We're also on board, and I'm sorry to say our experience differs from the OP's experience. We've found the internet connection to be the worst in the 13 trips we've taken on QM2. In fact, we just got off the elevator and the conversation was complaints about the terrible internet service. -S.

On our October crossing on the QM2...the Internet was the worst we've ever had on the QM2. On our November crossing on the Celebrity Eclipse the high-speed internet was almost as good as on land even during rough seas in the middle of the Atlantic but it was very expensive.

Glad some are having positive experiences on the QM2!!!

Edited by Cancun01

I was on QM2 for b-2-b T/A crossings, Nov 12 & Nov 19, 2016. I was astonished at how fast and flawless the system was.

In mentioning my surprise and appreciation to one of the internet staff members, I was told CUNARD had spent a fortune on improvements, and it certainly seems to have paid off.

We did the B2B in November and it hadn't approved up on deck 8. We checked with Mitch and he said "the same" applied when on that deck. Either open your door, go to the library or go downstairs to the lounge so nothing had changed.

Is it still very expensive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's $89 for 4 hours, free for Platinum members. There are also per minute plans and I think Gold members get 2 hours free. Diamond get 8 hours - how would one ever use all that time?

We were on deck 8 and had a good, strong signal throughout the voyage. Very pleased!

I was on QM2 for b-2-b T/A crossings, Nov 12 & Nov 19, 2016. I was astonished at how fast and flawless the system was.

In mentioning my surprise and appreciation to one of the internet staff members, I was told CUNARD had spent a fortune on improvements, and it certainly seems to have paid off.

Excellent news.

I shall look forward to making regular reports.

It's $89 for 4 hours, free for Platinum members. There are also per minute plans and I think Gold members get 2 hours free. Diamond get 8 hours - how would one ever use all that time?

We were on deck 8 and had a good, strong signal throughout the voyage. Very pleased!

... unfortunately all too quickly as I have to maintain and update the content of my business website daily.

I am very interested to hear that the system has been upgraded although the reports coming through in this thread seem to be mixed. I will be on QE next year on a WC sector so will be crossing my fingers that the speed and connectivity are reasonable.

It's worth remembering that the free internet time for World Club members is per person, not per cabin.

That's right. We were on QM2 departing from Southampton on 19/11/16 and because we are gold members we each received 2 hours free internet. First time ever I've been able to check my emails whilst cruising. The signal was very good and we had no problems at all.

On my recent QM2 voyage I noticed the speed was a bit faster. The layout of the computer room has improved, even though there are fewer computers. I'm not pleased, however, that the package expires at midnight on the last full day of your voyage. (It used to be available until you disembarked.) It was convenient being able to check messages, weather reports, airline status, etc. Fortunately I don't really need Internet access; if I wasn't getting it as a perk from the club I wouldn't bother with it.

Perhaps Hattie could list the various options for Internet. The charges...the allowances for silver, gold etc...if these are per day...per voyage for world cruise sectors, for whole world cruise or whatever and of course per person and not stateroom.

I'm sure that most people are completely bewildered by it all.

Or is it that Cunard have explained somewhere on the dark web

"Complimentary Internet Time for Cunard World Club Members

Gold tier members of the Cunard World Club receive up to two hours complimentary internet time per voyage

Platinum members receive up to four hours complimentary internet time per voyage

Diamond members receive up to eight hours complimentary internet time per voyage

Free packages for World Club members must be purchased in the normal way and will then be refunded at the end of the cruise. The free usage is per voyage, except on world voyages when it will be refreshed at the end of every financial sector. Any enquiries about World Club usage will be dealt with in the Voyage Sales Office in the Grand Lobby on Deck 1." - copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/access_internet

"We are currently updating the satellite internet service across our entire fleet. Due the nature of the changes being made to our satellite internet service, at present, we are unable to confirm which packages will be available on board during your holiday - this information will be available from your ship. What we can guarantee however, is that as a minimum, for $45 satellite internet credit, you will receive 120 minutes of satellite internet time. Head to the Library or ConneXions on board to confirm your satellite internet package and redeem your credit – find out more in our Gift Catalogue. Once you have booked your holiday, visit Voyage Personaliser to find out how to purchase internet credit.

Once on board, your internet credit can be used to purchase a satellite internet package - your ship will confirm which type of internet package is available. You can also buy internet packages at any time during your cruise. To do this, open a browser on your device, log on to the ship’s WiFi and follow the instructions. Alternatively, pop along to the Library or ConneXions; a good option if you need a little help.

You can use your satellite internet package on any device, but not simultaneously on multiple devices. It is not possible to wire your device into an internet connection on board.

If you are on a back to back (two or more consecutive) cruise(s) please note that the satellite internet service may be unavailable during turnaround days when the ship changes from one cruise to the next." copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/access_internet

Perhaps Hattie could list the various options for Internet. The charges...the allowances for silver, gold etc...if these are per day...per voyage for world cruise sectors, for whole world cruise or whatever and of course per person and not stateroom.

I'm sure that most people are completely bewildered by it all.

Or is it that Cunard have explained somewhere on the dark web

Hi silverhead. I'm not H. Hattie (obviously :)), but I recently looked for the information you suggested be posted, so I though I'd save H. Hattie some time by my two previous posts.

Also, just to mention that in my experience, frequently there are internet special offers published in the Daily Programme - usually on embarkation day and again towards the end of the voyage.

Hope this helps :) - S.