Ocean view cabin?

Longlast

We're thinking of booking a Cunard ocean view cabin; previously we've had balcony cabins, almost all Cunard. Our window will be just above the water level. I can see that the lowest passenger deck can be a convenient (ie without many flights of stairs) location for the Purser's desk, theatre and restaurant. However, my main worry is about the window. To what extent will we have any sort of view, both because of our low level and also, perhaps, the window will be hard to see through because of waves/spray/salt?

We were in a deck 1 inside deluxe on QE recently and we got to peek in the ocean view cabins opposite. They were spacious and the location was very good. The level shouldn't be an issue and the light from the window will be good but there may be spray/salt that could reduce clarity.

We've always had balcony or inside cabins but after seeing the deck 1 ocean view cabins we would consider booking those in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

In September 2016, I was assigned to one of the new outside single staterooms on Deck 2 on the Queen Mary 2. I enjoyed the window and the stateroom's location near the public areas of the ship. Visibility through the window was not a problem. When you are near the waterline, you have the sensation that the ship is traveling very fast.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

We have sailed in balcony, inside and ocean view rooms and although I'd say I love the outside space of a balcony cost can be prohibitive. We did a two week med cruise on deck 1 of QV ocean view and loved it. Being able to have daylight and see where we were was fantastic (the bits of being inside that I miss). It was a light and decent sized room- just like a balcony room but without the balcony i.e. Sofa and bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had no problem with our oceanview cabin last winter and will be back in one in a couple of weeks on QE. The view is still reasonable and we had no problem with the nearness of the sea - there are still two or three crew decks below you before sea level. The room was comfortable and just as spacious as the balcony cabins (which we usually book). The position is really great for just about everything too. Also, I loved looking out at ports as everything was going on much closer and it was really interesting!

We had an ocean view on Deck 6 forward on the Queen Mary 2. It had a traditional 'ship' feel with a round porthole. I highly recommend it. It was a very nice cabin that we very much enjoyed. I've never sailed the Vista sisters, though I no doubt want to one day. I will be honest that I'd prefer to spend my money on QM2 as I'm partial to liners, but the QE and QV look lovely. Which ship are you looking at taking?

Edited by Loveboat1995

We have sailed in balcony, inside and ocean view rooms and although I'd say I love the outside space of a balcony cost can be prohibitive. We did a two week med cruise on deck 1 of QV ocean view and loved it. Being able to have daylight and see where we were was fantastic (the bits of being inside that I miss). It was a light and decent sized room- just like a balcony room but without the balcony i.e. Sofa and bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was it near the waterline? What a good view that must have been! :)