Cdn. Guests on an Az cruise to Cuba question

munch1

Question for Bonnie

Probably a silly question but.....

If one is a Canadian guest on an Azamara cruise with Cuba as a port will we be able to book private side trips ?? As Cdns can freely travel to cuba just wondering if there are restrictions due to being on a cruise.

Thanks Sharon

Hi munch1,

I don't know the official answer to this.

I would think your Canadian citizenship would override the mode of arrival, and you'd be allowed to wander or tour privately. It is U.S. citizens who must abide by the travel permit known as "people-to-people" while visiting Cuba.

But this is new territory for all of us so my speculation is just that, my speculation. I will post more if I hear anything official.

Hi munch1,

I don't know the official answer to this.

I would think your Canadian citizenship would override the mode of arrival, and you'd be allowed to wander or tour privately. It is U.S. citizens who must abide by the travel permit known as "people-to-people" while visiting Cuba.

But this is new territory for all of us so my speculation is just that, my speculation. I will post more if I hear anything official.

Thanks so much for your answer Bonnie and will wait to see if you get any more info .

Sharon

According to a post on the Oceania Board, the entire ship will be subject to US Law since it is sailing from a US Port; the rules about US Citizens will apply to all on board including Canadians. This most probably means following the US rules about only doing certain things, paying the $125 "visa" fee for disembarking and not being allowed to roam freely. Oceania is going to Havana starting on a March 7, 2017 cruise. Can't say for sure if this will affect Azamara and since the first cruise won't be until late 2018, anything is possible including the President Elect negating the new rules put in place by obama. Think you will need to wait sometime before the rules for an Azamara cruise are known. Oops, just saw Azamara is going to Cuba about the same times as Oceania so seems like should be the same rules???

Edited by rallydave

We were on the 2nd Fathom sailing to Cuba. The rules changed for us the day before departure. For Fathom's first cruise, everyone had to take a ship sponsored excursion and could not go off on their own. The day before our cruise, the rules changed and allowed us to go off on our own. However, we were told that we had to document what we did and had to include what our people to people experiences were. We were then told to hold onto that for five years unless the US laws changed once again. I am betting that between now and then, there will still be some more changes.

We absolutely loved Cuba and want to go back. My wish list includes an itinerary that offers multiple stops in Cuba with extended stays.

We were on the 2nd Fathom sailing to Cuba. The rules changed for us the day before departure. For Fathom's first cruise, everyone had to take a ship sponsored excursion and could not go off on their own. The day before our cruise, the rules changed and allowed us to go off on our own. However, we were told that we had to document what we did and had to include what our people to people experiences were. We were then told to hold onto that for five years unless the US laws changed once again. I am betting that between now and then, there will still be some more changes.

We absolutely loved Cuba and want to go back. My wish list includes an itinerary that offers multiple stops in Cuba with extended stays.

Thanks for this info nonrev1. All info shown on Azamara website is quoted for US citizens. Hopefully more detailed info will come forward along the way for those of us who are not restricted on travel to Cuba. Either way it is wonderful to see Cuba added to Azamara. Looking forward to more itineraries.

Canadian require a visitors card, which normally costs 25 dollars and proof of private insurance unless one prefers to buy a Cuban policy. Oceania will be charging a total of 125 US pp. this seems like a cash grab to me. I think that I read that Aza will be charging 75US pp.

I resent the mark up, but mostly I resent the loss of ports that occurred when Oceania switched the itinerary. On a 10 day cruise we are down 2 ports and up 2 sea days......

Many had already reserved shore excursions in these cancelled ports. I know many people are very happy about being able to visit Cuba, but it is not the cruise I chose.

Canadian require a visitors card, which normally costs 25 dollars and proof of private insurance unless one prefers to buy a Cuban policy. Oceania will be charging a total of 125 US pp. this seems like a cash grab to me. I think that I read that Aza will be charging 75US pp.

I resent the mark up, but mostly I resent the loss of ports that occurred when Oceania switched the itinerary. On a 10 day cruise we are down 2 ports and up 2 sea days......

Many had already reserved shore excursions in these cancelled ports. I know many people are very happy about being able to visit Cuba, but it is not the cruise I chose.

That is the problem with any cruise to Cuba - too many sea days and not enough Cuba. Are you there to cruise or to see Cuba? I did a 15 day land tour of Cuba and I had 13 1/2 days in Cuba. I got to see a fair bit of Cuba. You won't. I got to wander around the towns we stayed in in the evening while you won't since you have to be back on the ship. I got to go to local bars and listen to music. You won't. I got to have dinner in state and privately owned restaurants while you won't.

My gain. Your loss.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

It looks like the only way to go ashore is by booking a land discovery tour. On Azamara's website it says 'All guests going onshore in Cuba will take part in Land Discoveries tours', so it seems no-one will be able to just have a wander around.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It looks like the only way to go ashore is by booking a land discovery tour. On Azamara's website it says 'All guests going onshore in Cuba will take part in Land Discoveries tours', so it seems no-one will be able to just have a wander around. I know this is on a page of information for US visitors, but the phrase ' all guests going ashore' suggests it applies to everyone.

It looks like the only way to go ashore is by booking a land discovery tour. On Azamara's website it says 'All guests going onshore in Cuba will take part in Land Discoveries tours', so it seems no-one will be able to just have a wander around. I know this is on a page of information for US visitors, but the phrase ' all guests going ashore' suggests it applies to everyone.

Thanks grandma cruising...... Kinda looks that way . I read that on the info page a few days ago. It even appears that the travel visas are going to be the ones that US citizens must have which I understand ( may be wrong ) are different from the ones Canadians get.( which are $25 cdn ) when traveling to Cuba for vacations.

It looks like the only way to go ashore is by booking a land discovery tour. On Azamara's website it says 'All guests going onshore in Cuba will take part in Land Discoveries tours', so it seems no-one will be able to just have a wander around.

It is being confirmed that "since all guests will be departing from a US port, all who disembark will have to follow same OFAC regulations, regardless of citizenship."

I do apologize if I raised hopes of the non-US citizens to be able to wander freely in Havana.

It is being confirmed that "since all guests will be departing from a US port, all who disembark will have to follow same OFAC regulations, regardless of citizenship."

I do apologize if I raised hopes of the non-US citizens to be able to wander freely in Havana.

Thanks Bonnie.

That is the problem with any cruise to Cuba - too many sea days and not enough Cuba. Are you there to cruise or to see Cuba? I did a 15 day land tour of Cuba and I had 13 1/2 days in Cuba. I got to see a fair bit of Cuba. You won't. I got to wander around the towns we stayed in in the evening while you won't since you have to be back on the ship. I got to go to local bars and listen to music. You won't. I got to have dinner in state and privately owned restaurants while you won't.

My gain. Your loss.

DON

Actually, when I booked this cruise, it was not stopping in Cuba. The itinerary changed and is now visiting Cuba. Not my choice. I never wanted to cruise to Cuba.

We would be interested in booking this cruise but not if we were unable to wander on our own. I don't understand why we were allowed to on Fathom but not on this cruise. When we filled out our documentation ( US regulations) we had choices. 1- we would only go ashore if on a ship's excursion , 2- we could do ships excursions or go on our own and document our people to people and maintain records for 5 years 3- go entirely on our own if we were there doing ministry work and provide documentation.

Bonnie, is it confirmed that we can only leave the ship in Havana is if we are on a ship's excursion?

We would be interested in booking this cruise but not if we were unable to wander on our own. I don't understand why we were allowed to on Fathom but not on this cruise. When we filled out our documentation ( US regulations) we had choices. 1- we would only go ashore if on a ship's excursion , 2- we could do ships excursions or go on our own and document our people to people and maintain records for 5 years 3- go entirely on our own if we were there doing ministry work and provide documentation.

Bonnie, is it confirmed that we can only leave the ship in Havana is if we are on a ship's excursion?

Hi nonrev1,

We are working through these details as we speak. We believe our shorex will be similar to what you describe, but we are working on approvals.

Please stay tuned for more information.

My gain. Your loss.

DON

Totally agree.

If you want to just check off something on your bucket list (which we never quite understood), take a cruise to Cuba. If you want to see the island, experience the richness of the culture, music, food and more, do a land trip. Especially when land trip prices are currently falling due to some weakening of demand.

I have just had it confirmed that Guests will be allowed to explore Cuba on their own. They will be required to fill out a form in advance, and meet certain requirements.

I'm not up-to-date on what those requirements are, but am told the arrangement will be exactly as they were on the Fathom, for those familiar with that.

I have just had it confirmed that Guests will be allowed to explore Cuba on their own. They will be required to fill out a form in advance, and meet certain requirements.

I'm not up-to-date on what those requirements are, but am told the arrangement will be exactly as they were on the Fathom, for those familiar with that.

That's great news Bonnie. Now could you please find out if Non US citizens can get their own Tourist Visas ? Thanks.