Why do some ships make it up/down the river

mooreke126

You might try this one, I Googled the ship name with the word - Draft after it.

Avalon Illumination draft . This website comes up. This is the ship I recently sailed A to B with no issues, while other boats did not make it. Avalon boats did and have continued to sail.

https://www.fleetpro-psm.com/fleet/avalon-illumination

According to the enthusiasts, experts and ship spotters at http://www.binnenschifferforum.de the latest Viking longships, nick-named "Nasenbär, meaning coati, have a draft of 1.60m to 2.00m maximum.

The ARosa Mia, built by the same warf, has the specifications 124.50m by 14.50m, draft 1.48m to 1.85m maximum, also according to Binnenschifferforum.

To compare: the Phoenix MS Anesha is 135m by 11.45m with a draft of 1.60m (German press release).

The Avalon Illumination, according to your link, JVilleGal, has a draft of 1.22m to 1.96m with a size of 135m by 11.45m.

Thank you for providing the website. It is a company doing ship management of many river vessels.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

I just read all the comments in Thus thread. So my question is: When are the best times to sail the Danube to avoid being "bused" or running agroind?

We hope to take our first river cruise next year. But have many ocean sailings behind us.

There's not really a "best" time. It's pot luck. This happens to be a very dry year. Not too long ago it was just the opposite: the rivers were so high that the ships couldn't get under the bridges.

You pay your money and you take your chances. But your chances are greatly improved in low water conditions by avoiding Viking.

Check out Avalon.

I just read all the comments in Thus thread. So my question is: When are the best times to sail the Danube to avoid being "bused" or running agroind?

We hope to take our first river cruise next year. But have many ocean sailings behind us.

Generally, rivers run highest in spring, when the winter snow pack melts, though this can cause the high water problems mentioned.

I like late May to early June. The melt is normally over, so less chance of having high water and it is often early enough that low water isn't an issue. I've been lucky so far.

How many have you done where you were lucky? Were they all the same time of year?

We find there is no real rhyme or reason. We had high waters in both July and November on the Rhone, low in November on the Rhine years ago, high on the Danube in December and now are facing low water on the Rhine next week. Fortunately, we are on AMA and their boats are designed with a shallow draught and operating without issues at the moment.

Edited by caviargal

Well I could if I could find the site you are referring to:rolleyes: I have googled a number of ways and have not been successful. When you say that something is available, it helps to provide a URL.

The site has been mentioned before: http://www.vesselfinder.com or use an AIS APP for ship tracking around the world.

The site has been mentioned before: http://www.vesselfinder.com or use an AIS APP for ship tracking around the world.

Not all vessels are real good about updating the ship's draft on the AIS, so this may not always be accurate.

https://www.fleetpro-psm.com/fleet/

Also here, just enter the name of the ship you want info about.

This is the design draft, or the maximum draft, not necessarily what the ship is sailing with at any given time. As posted before, some boats will sail with less than full pax complement, less fuel, etc. to reduce draft.

Not all vessels are real good about updating the ship's draft on the AIS, so this may not always be accurate.

This is the design draft, or the maximum draft, not necessarily what the ship is sailing with at any given time. As posted before, some boats will sail with less than full pax complement, less fuel, etc. to reduce draft.

That's correct and you will only know this Baseline info as there is no way to know at any point in time what the boat is or is not carrying. So looking at the 2 or 3 websites combined simply gives you info to compare.

That's correct and you will only know this Baseline info as there is no way to know at any point in time what the boat is or is not carrying. So looking at the 2 or 3 websites combined simply gives you info to compare.

The only really meaningful way to compare how two ships would fare in low water conditions would be to compare their maximum draft and their "lightship" draft (draft with the ship completely empty of people, food, water, fuel). A ship with a deeper max draft may actually have a smaller light draft, because it is designed for more of the "moveable" load.

These days there is no best times, in the good old days spring could be guaranteed since the snow fall in the Alps is getting less and less each year.

Late April / May is probably the season when you would be bused.

I like late May to early June. The melt is normally over, so less chance of having high water and it is often early enough that low water isn't an issue. I've been lucky so far.

Early June 2013 ... we had the highest Danube floods ever.

I agree, G.M.T., water levels and the weather seem to be getting more and more unpredictable. It has been a record year again, this time for draught. I spoke to a local engineer (for hydrology) the other week and he commented about the fact that there are more and more extremes.

These days it seems that there is only one week at the end of June and week one in the middle of December that is half guaranteed to be without problems. :(

North American "cancel for any reason" travel insurance seems to be the way to go.

Of course, the small print in brochures should be read before booking...

It finally looks good for the Christmas market cruises, though, at the moment. :)

notamermaid