Chtistmas Market Shopping strategies

Thyme2cruise

I have read a lot of reviews about the Christmas Markets & have never seen the following question posed or answered for that matter. When shopping the markets, how does one go about finding the local handcrafted & more unusual items with the limited time one has to shop? My stepmom & I are going on Vantage's Danube Holiday River Cruise featuring Prague on Dec. 4-16 of this year. Is there a strategy for finding these items? Looking forward to hearing about CC reader's treasures!

I have read a lot of reviews about the Christmas Markets & have never seen the following question posed or answered for that matter. When shopping the markets, how does one go about finding the local handcrafted & more unusual items with the limited time one has to shop? My stepmom & I are going on Vantage's Danube Holiday River Cruise featuring Prague on Dec. 4-16 of this year. Is there a strategy for finding these items? Looking forward to hearing about CC reader's treasures!

You can sometimes tell by the booth, local handcrafted items can be very artfully presented and look unique. When you walk the markets you will see loads and loads of duplicate items, lots of it is imported. Ask and check for made in China stickers. If you see unusual items, then ask the stall keeper who made it. If they can tell you the story then you probably have locally handcrafted items.

Look for the Made in Erzbrerge labels, those items are made in the Ore mountain region of Germany.

On the Danube the markets in Regensburg, Passau and Budapest had many unique and locally produced treasures.

It's all fun, just enjoy. The main thing is-- if you see it and you like it, buy it then. because you may never see anything like it again.The prices are pretty much the same all over for similar items.

Some examples:

Nuremberg: prune people and golden angel ornaments

Regensburg: hand knitted hats and scarves, the market at the Palace has wonderful items made by local artisans. Go after dark if you can, it's magical all lit up with warming fires and fairy lights.

Passau: some of the best glass ornaments and children's items

Gingerbread cookies:: fabulous iced designs--get them while you are north of Vienna, they seem to disappear as you go further south

Budapest: great homemade cookies (I use them year after year to decorate our gingerbread house and advent wreaths)and appliquéd felt items. I got some fabulous pillow covers. Also spices, paprika etc

I collect nutcrackers and have found that the best place for those is actually here in the US from Wayfair.com. I know that it isn't the same as buying one while at the markets, but the exact same ones are cheaper and it much easier to have it shipped to you rather than very carefully carrying it home. I can speak from experience on that!

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Can't beat the Lebkuchen (cookies) in Nuremberg... BEST ever!! We like the big round ones with the wafers on the bottom. They are called Elisen Lebkuchen.

And, if you are looking for Paprika, I would suggest the Central Market in Budapest.

Fran

Edited by franski

• 2 months later...

Our TJMaxx sells German pyramids, smokers, and nutcrackers for about 1/4 of the price I saw them in the Christmas markets. Same quality; same makers. And also the wooden ornaments which are about $25 in Germany but about $5 in TJMaxx. They get them every year. Bought one yesterday, actually.

Our TJMaxx sells German pyramids, smokers, and nutcrackers for about 1/4 of the price I saw them in the Christmas markets. Same quality; same makers. And also the wooden ornaments which are about $25 in Germany but about $5 in TJMaxx. They get them every year. Bought one yesterday, actually.

Yes, TJ Maxx has them every year. The point of finding things in the markets is to search out the unique, the items that speak to you, that remind you of your wonderful trip every time year when you unpack them and display them in your home. If all you want is something that they sell at Marshals, why bother to,go on the trip?

Can't beat the Lebkuchen (cookies) in Nuremberg... BEST ever!! We like the big round ones with the wafers on the bottom. They are called Elisen Lebkuchen.

And, if you are looking for Paprika, I would suggest the Central Market in Budapest.

Fran

I love the ones dipped in dark chocolate - yum!

We bring back locally produced spices, chocolates, mustards, olives, etc.

Same here - spices. Got some great lavender sachets for 1E on our trip. Food souvenirs and a Christmas ornament is all I ever bring back from travel - on the Christmas market cruise, I wasn't finding any ornaments I was interested in (I know, sacrilege:p) but there was a ceramic artist with a stand in Rudesheim and I bought a very simple ornament from her. Did it scream "GERMANY" to me? No. But it's beautiful and handmade and we bought it during our vacation, and those are the things that matter to me.

Packing is a lot easier with just some spices, but I admit we came home with MANY flip top beer bottles (empty) as well. I'm using them this year for Christmas gifts (with our family - the parents we traveled with - we do homemade gifts only - I'm making room diffusers because the bathrooms on Avalon had a lovely very subtle scented room diffuser)

If you are in Budapest, there are some really lovely pottery booths, that include gorgeous pottery ornaments. I also love bringing back little bottles of palinka (schnapps) and schnapps from Austria, spices, and either hand felted ornaments or little woolen ornaments.

I will second the suggestion that if you see something you like, get it. Each market has it own style and character. There are several markets in Cologne, for example and each has something different.

My problem isn't deciding what to bring home--it's deciding which delicious treat to enjoy AT the market, washed down with gluhwein!! (Bratislava has a market with a vendor selling crepes. I tried the incredibly luscious duck fat crepe. WOW. Rich!!! The potato pancakes in Germany are outstanding. Brats galore. Raclette...) Darn it, now I'm hungry.

If you are in Budapest, there are some really lovely pottery booths, that include gorgeous pottery ornaments. I also love bringing back little bottles of palinka (schnapps) and schnapps from Austria, spices, and either hand felted ornaments or little woolen ornaments.

I will second the suggestion that if you see something you like, get it. Each market has it own style and character. There are several markets in Cologne, for example and each has something different.

My problem isn't deciding what to bring home--it's deciding which delicious treat to enjoy AT the market, washed down with gluhwein!! (Bratislava has a market with a vendor selling crepes. I tried the incredibly luscious duck fat crepe. WOW. Rich!!! The potato pancakes in Germany are outstanding. Brats galore. Raclette...) Darn it, now I'm hungry.

Stop it---it's a couple of hours until lunch!!!! Also, there are those rolled dough things cooked over an outside grill rolled in cinnamon in Budapest and Prague--I can't wait!!!! Hmm, maybe I'll make goulash for dinner, I have the paprika!

Stop it---it's a couple of hours until lunch!!!! Also, there are those rolled dough things cooked over an outside grill rolled in cinnamon in Budapest and Prague--I can't wait!!!! Hmm, maybe I'll make goulash for dinner, I have the paprika!

I LOVE those little rolled dough things cooked over an outside grill and rolled in cinnamon.. I first had them in Prague and they were rolled in a mixture of cinnamon and nuts. To die for!!!! Anybody (Notamermaid) know what they're called?

I'd add: avoid schneeballen. They are softball-sized layered balls of rolled dough, much like if pie pastry had sexy time with sugar cookie dough and the baby was deep fried. Then the whole ball of dough is rolled in ungodly sweet frosting/sugar/chocolate... My young adult sons who never met a pastry they didn't love actually stopped three bites in.

OH...and when you're in GERMANY--you HAVE to find a Hussel chocolate store. There's one in Passau and I think there's some in Austria. OMG. I love Hussel chocolates and you cannot get them in the US. They sell them at the Chocolate Museum in Cologne but there are actual Hussel shops all over. Google Hussel Chocolate and you'll get into the German website but you can drool over all the photos. MMMMMM

(and one more while I'm here and thinking about it)

We always buy lots of Christmas cookies from local bakeries. They often sell variety boxes and if you wrap them in soft sweaters and put them in carry on--they rarely break.

And get Marzipan candies in Hungary. I'm drawing a blank on the brand name, they are dark chocolate covered and wrapped in a little paper and then in a foil and fringe outer wrapper. We got them in Szentendre Hungary. The package they come in looks like a white styro plate that beef is wrapped in, they are laid out very prettily and then the entire package is wrapped in plastic wrap. The pricing and labeling is on the back. I'm not a lover but they were a huge hit with everyone I gave them to.

If time allows, go to the Central Market Hall in Budapest. You can find all sorts of wonderful things there. I'm also a big fan of hitting up local grocery stores--I get my varieties of Hungarian paprika there...it's a LOT cheaper than paying tourist prices at the markets.

(I love Budapest. My favorite city in the world.)

I'd add: avoid schneeballen. They are softball-sized layered balls of rolled dough, much like if pie pastry had sexy time with sugar cookie dough and the baby was deep fried. Then the whole ball of dough is rolled in ungodly sweet frosting/sugar/chocolate... My young adult sons who never met a pastry they didn't love actually stopped three bites in.

OH...and when you're in GERMANY--you HAVE to find a Hussel chocolate store. There's one in Passau and I think there's some in Austria. OMG. I love Hussel chocolates and you cannot get them in the US. They sell them at the Chocolate Museum in Cologne but there are actual Hussel shops all over. Google Hussel Chocolate and you'll get into the German website but you can drool over all the photos. MMMMMM

Ooh, the Chocolate Museum Cologne! If you get by there in the late afternoon you can't go wrong with a piece of their fabulous chocolate thunder cake and a cup of coffee. Relax, rest your tire achy feet, recharge your batteries before walking back to your boat. There is a lot more to this place that just Lindt.

The Museum also has the best variety of chocolate santas, some very unique,ones that you won't find anything like at home. The chocolate shops in Basel also have some good santas, but not nearly as creative as their bunnies at Easter time..if anyone is going to Lucerne either pre or post cruise,checkout their chocolate shops for outstanding chocolate santas, they make great stocking stuffers.

Chimney Bread. (Kurtosch cakes...) They actually originated in Romania. They are deeeeelishus!!! :D

Chimney bread....that's what they are!! If they had been all that was offered me for breakfast, lunch and dinner I would have died a happy person!! Those and the potato that looks like pringles on a stick...I could alternate between the two of them all day!!! Of course on the downside, I would then weigh 600 pounds and be unable to move!! :D

I bought a small smoker at the Kathe Wohlfahrt store in Nuremberg. I bought one that does not have a Christmas theme, put it in my kitchen window and use it quit often. Mine is in the shape of a house and when the incense is burning the smoke comes out of the chimney. I did find some large cone incense at a souvenir shop in Regensburg. The store where I purchased the smoker only had packages of very small cones.

Chimney bread....that's what they are!! If they had been all that was offered me for breakfast, lunch and dinner I would have died a happy person!! Those and the potato that looks like pringles on a stick...I could alternate between the two of them all day!!! Of course on the downside, I would then weigh 600 pounds and be unable to move!! :D

I'm leaving next week for a river cruise in Eastern Europe with days before in Transylvania and days after in Prague. Are these yummy sounding things only available at Christmas markets? I did markets cruises in 2014 and 2013 and you are all making me wish I was doing it again this year! That being said, I didn't buy one single thing to bring home either year...

I agree, Hussel have a great selection of choloates and sweets. There is one in Koblenz not too far to walk into the town centre from the ships.

Chimney bread sounds a very fitting name if this is the cake I know. So here goes, are you ready...

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baumkuchen

Already feeling hungry? :D

And be happy to switch to the English version, just as yummy.

I usually get "Plätzchen" from the local bakers.

notamermaid

I pulled the photo book out to get the name of these pastries - in Budapest they are Kurtos kalacs. (At least that is what the sign said!) cost in 2014 was 1500 Hungarian currency. They were huge. Two of us ate off of this thing for 2 days-- perfect breakfast in the hotel room but the very best is hot off the coals yumm

I'm leaving next week for a river cruise in Eastern Europe with days before in Transylvania and days after in Prague. Are these yummy sounding things only available at Christmas markets? I did markets cruises in 2014 and 2013 and you are all making me wish I was doing it again this year! That being said, I didn't buy one single thing to bring home either year...

I had the chimney bread from a street fair vendor in Prague and the potato on a stick from a permanent vendor at the Castle. I haven't done Christmas markets, but we were there in late June...I don't think they're holiday related...I think they're more like pretzels in NYC. Another poster said she saw the chimney bread in Budapest as well. I confess I haven't seen it there, but I haven't really looked and I didn't make it to the market this time.

I don't have a sweet tooth so I made it through the trip without any lebkuchen :p We ate local wurst in each market. Only tried gluhwein in a couple places (I've never been a fan) and gluhbier once (I liked it better;)) but had local beer & wine in the markets (or from grocery stores & carried on board).

I did eat a schneeball and I liked it. So go figure - maybe it was fresher than what you & your sons had, or, different strokes for different folks:D I think I picked mocha but can't recall for sure. There were a couple dozen flavor options...(I also don't remember where I tried it without going back to the photos, sorry!)

As for the chimney bread, Nuremberg had it as well.

One thing we bought in Nuremberg (where we embarked) was a small Christmas wreath for our cabin. I'd wanted a tree but decided a wreath (and a suction cup hook!) were better for space, and cheaper to boot. I think I spent 5 or 6E and it made our cabin smell SO GOOD. We'd bough flowers for cruise cabins or rental apartments in the past, and I think this was a great riff on that idea. I did notice a TON of greenery stalls in Nuremberg and a few at other markets as well.

(my other favorite vacation souvenir spots, in addition to grocery stores - drugstores. Monoprix in France, DM in Germany etc)

Edited by Hoyaheel

I rarely eat sweets but cannot resist Trdelník when they are fresh and an occasional lebkuchen ( I generally buy for my husband and "share" one of his). Tried a schneeball years ago in ROTB and tossed it after one bite.

I love the weisswurst grilled crispy, on crusty bread. I never eat sausage at home but do enjoy the ones in Germany.

As for gluhwein, I have one or two over the course of a week or two but am not a big fan of the taste.

Thankfully we put on a lot of miles every day and have yet to get home with a weight gain.

Edited by caviargal