Avalon VS Viking pricing

coatimom

We have never done a river cruise. However, my Mother as expressed interest so we are really considering it.

Here is my question. Is it typical for the cruise line to expect you to pay in full way before your cruise? I was looking on the Viking site and they to take advantage of a savings you have to pay in full before the end of October, regardless of when you cruise will be leaving.

And what if we change our mind? I hate to have $10,000 tied up for a year.

Does Avalon operate the same way?

The payment so early is unique to the American market, I would strongly suggest that people resist it whenever possible.

Viking don't do it in their other markets, but as long as people keep accepting it I'm sure they will keep doing it.

I always compare Viking, AMA, Vantage and others prior to booking a river cruise tour.

Vantage always comes out with the lowest price. Also, there tours/cruises are excellent.

Like others, I would hate to pay in full so far upfront. Another reason not to book Viking.

I believe Viking is a good product, but Vantage is as well. We have done one cruise on AMA and it was great, but AMA's prices have moved up a bit much.

• 2 months later...

Just to make sure it's clear, Vikings 2 for 1 pricing is the per person price . Two people do not cruise for that price!

There seems to be a lot of confusion, also the 2 for 1 pricing is ALWAYS there... Not a special promotion!

No matter what you do make sure you book Travel Insurance and check pricing that includes "pre existing medical conditions" this insurance needs to be purchased when you make your initial booking.

Before I booked our first river cruise, I did not just go out and book Viking, who advertises a lot. I researched what each cruise line provided, compared the number of nights in a hotel or on ship and checked reviews on cc.

Both Avalon and Viking provide excellent products, but I consistently find just as good a product for our river cruises with Vantage.

Suggest you check it out.

With Vantage you can pay early for an additional discount, but are not required to do so.

No matter what you do make sure you book Travel Insurance and check pricing that includes "pre existing medical conditions" this insurance needs to be purchased when you make your initial booking.

This is not always true. My Travel Agent has a policy specific to their agency that allows for pre-existing conditions to be covered when you purchase the insurance at final payment. I don't need to buy insurance months or years in advance.

This is not always true. My Travel Agent has a policy specific to their agency that allows for pre-existing conditions to be covered when you purchase the insurance at final payment. I don't need to buy insurance months or years in advance.

Just be very careful and make sure you get all the facts.... I buy it from a an outside vendor. I purchase in increments based on my initial non refundable deposit and increase the insurance as I put out more non refundable money. At this point I gave out out about $125 for a cruise in 2017. And will cover Cancel for any reason & pre existing medical.

It's good to remember that a very large investment in a trip happens often long before final payment.... Airfare I tend to purchase about 300 days out. This is usually the first time I increase my insurance coverage.

Just be very careful and make sure you get all the facts.... I buy it from a an outside vendor. I purchase in increments based on my initial non refundable deposit and increase the insurance as I put out more non refundable money. At this point I gave out out about $125 for a cruise in 2017. And will cover Cancel for any reason & pre existing medical.

It's good to remember that a very large investment in a trip happens often long before final payment.... Airfare I tend to purchase about 300 days out. This is usually the first time I increase my insurance coverage.

Believe me - I am very informed on trip insurance.

My point is that often travel agencies have different policies that the direct insurance companies provide and many of these provide additional benefits and coverages.

Edited by Coral

Believe me - I am very informed on trip insurance.

My point is that often travel agencies have different policies that the direct insurance companies provide and many of these provide additional benefits and coverages.

The point again is to research and not everyone understand Travel Insurance, much less the many types of coverage and the special needs it can cover.

Hello janetcbl,

that is good to know. The slight "hiccup" in this for me is that you actually refused and asked for different conditions. Most river cruisers IMO will do not think of doing so.

Let me ask: are we talking about full payment here, one year in advance?

The German (and European) situation is quite different, there is a common way of doing things. Deposit, then full payment 90 days before departure, except for special offers. These come in the shape of discounts, or early booking (and payment) price reduction. Etc. There are probably exceptions to my general statement. If anyone comes across one I would like to know.

For me paying one year in advance for a service is still out of the question. But then me being on the other side of the big pond I luckily have different options (i.e. companies). Some of those are available in North America now, of course.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

I've been shopping for a cruise and confirm that Viking requires full payment by the end of this calendar year for a 2016 cruise, or you pay the full price of the cruise. The full price is on their website--it is the crossed off price next to the smaller price. Viking insurance is $612 each. Note that changing one of the persons in your party is not allowed.

If you've had a health scare in your life, like I have, you have to question the reasonableness of Viking's payment requirement. But, the devil is in the details. I looked in their Passenger Ticket Contract and found some good news--you are entitled to a refund of all but 15% if you cancel within 90 days of the trip.

Avalon does not require payment until 3 months before departure, and their deposit is only $500 each.

I've been shopping for a cruise and confirm that Viking requires full payment by the end of this calendar year for a 2016 cruise, or you pay the full price of the cruise. The full price is on their website--it is the crossed off price next to the smaller price. Viking insurance is $612 each. Note that changing one of the persons in your party is not allowed.

If you've had a health scare in your life, like I have, you have to question the reasonableness of Viking's payment requirement. But, the devil is in the details. I looked in their Passenger Ticket Contract and found some good news--you are entitled to a refund of all but 15% if you cancel within 90 days of the trip.

Avalon does not require payment until 3 months before departure, and their deposit is only $500 each.

You should always shop insurance with one of the on line brokers, I.e. Insure my trip.com, before buying insurance from any cruise line. You will almost always get better coverages, terms and at a lower price.

Many cruise lines, Viking included, can be booked thru reputable online agency's. They usually require final payment 3 months out. You Do Not have to book with Viking directly or thru a brick and mortar travel agency. Do a little research and you will find several online agency's that book river cruises. Sorry,but I can't suggest names on the forum.

I'm not sure about travel agents--but ignoring that and ignoring whether or not you are comfortable pre-paying to such a large extent-- to put this pre-pay issue in proper perspective you need to calculate the value of the money tied up for that period of time, assuming you have the money in the first place.

So let's assume a cruise costs $10K, close to what my wife and I are paying for the Grand European Tour (15 days) we just signed up on Viking, which was $9,923 for the trip, with air, from Cleveland, OH, for the lowest category. Viking will have this money for 8 months (it's a July trip). Avalon would have the money just 3 months.

Let's assume the money would earn you 5%, which is $500/yr or $208 for the five extra months you have the money at Viking. The similar tour offered by Avalon is $11,200 with air, $1220 more than Viking. This is why I went with Viking.

I'm not sure about travel agents--but ignoring that and ignoring whether or not you are comfortable pre-paying to such a large extent-- to put this pre-pay issue in proper perspective you need to calculate the value of the money tied up for that period of time, assuming you have the money in the first place.

So let's assume a cruise costs $10K, close to what my wife and I are paying for the Grand European Tour (15 days) we just signed up on Viking, which was $9,923 for the trip, with air, from Cleveland, OH, for the lowest category. Viking will have this money for 8 months (it's a July trip). Avalon would have the money just 3 months.

Let's assume the money would earn you 5%, which is $500/yr or $208 for the five extra months you have the money at Viking. The similar tour offered by Avalon is $11,200 with air, $1220 more than Viking. This is why I went with Viking.

I hope it works out for you. By the time my TA rebated to me I was able to reduce my Avalon cost by less than $1500 over the advertised fare. Viking was never a consideration. Viking had 180 passengers vs 156, our mid range cabin was 225 Sq Ft vs 185 and not paying until 90 days before sailing allowed us the opportunity to use those funds for other purposes as needed.

If you can get a 5% return on your funds please send me the name of your investment advisor!

Edited by JVilleGal