Viking Sun Final Voyage Oct 2015

knoxclone

Have been a "lurker" for over 8 months and thought I would pay it forward with some observations from my first ever (river or ocean!) cruise on the the Viking Sun.

As background, I have traveled, worked and studied overseas and as event planner by profession, I was the "mother duck” with all my groups when traveling domestically and internationally. As a result, I have never participated on any sort of “organized travel” program and am compulsive about destinations, trip details etc. After we booked, I was became apprehensive, particularly after reading about low water, ship swapping, poor communications and port locations. Thanks to other posters, I was able to make my self somewhat familiar with the ship as well as the itinerary.

We traveled on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel with my DH to celebrate his birthday and a belated anniversary gift to ourselves. I had filled out the passenger paperwork 6 months before the trip and had forgotten I had even mentioned these dates. Viking did not, however, and on the first night, he was presented w a cake at dinner and later in the week we were treated to a bottle of champagne in our stateroom - which they later chilled and we enjoyed w new friends at dinner.

I thought the food as good - solid, while perhaps not "gourmet" and a nice variety of options. I took the tour of the kitchen and they do a great job with the limited space. Personally, I enjoyed the opportunity to have the lighter lunches available upstairs. Wine and beer flowed freely at mealtimes and I found the lounge prices to be reasonable. A glass or two of wine w dinner and maybe an after dinner coffee drink and I was set.

I was incredibly pleased with my week on the Viking Sun and would give it a solid A. The service on board was top notch, from the bar staff, cabin stewards to the wait staff. Boyan, our program manager was never without a smile on his face, as he deftly juggled a myriad of daily crises including lost phones/cameras, missing buses, and late passengers.

During the trip, we had the “opportunity” to be rafted next to a Long Ship on several occasions, which gave me the opportunity to compare the two. I felt the Sun, which is considered an older ship – (although its barely a decade old) - was quite comparable, although not as “flashy” (with all the frosted glass, additional dining options, elevator and herb garden on the top deck.

On board, we were very comfortable, and the cabin actually was a bit larger than I had feared. Because we booked so late, we had a stateroom on the 3rd level with the sliding doors. I have to say, while I enjoyed having the large view, I think I would have preferred the half window, simply because I was terrified I was going to accidentally kick a shoe or something equally important out into the river!

We took most of the optional excursions, and it all depended on your tour guide. Because I was recovering from a foot injury, on several days I opted for the slow tour – or as Boyan named it the "Not fast & furious”.

The excursion in Koblenz to the fortress was one of the best I have ever been on –taking the gondola to the fortress gave a phenomenal view of the river, and the tour guides at the fortress were all in period dress and did the tour in first person as a spy. Very entertaining, educational and enjoyable.

Strasbourg & Heidelberg – Again this depends on your guide. The castle is worth the visit – if only for the beautiful views… and the wine cellar. I know that some folks were very disappointed in their guides. Same in Strasbourg - the cathedral is beautiful and the Petite Alsace area is lovely, but our tour guide was on a mission to get to the cathedral so we missed the opportunity to really appreciate the area in order to stay up with her.. And in fact, she rounded a corner while we were still waiting to cross the street and had we not had the quiet vox and could hear her describing a building - we might have totally gotten lost.

Rudesheim – totally cheesy and wonderful. If you are looking for culture and fining german dining – this is not your excursion. If you want experience the beer garden atmosphere, have a good traditional meal and sing silly songs and generally have a fun night out with your new friends from the ship – this is a great opportunity. And of course who doesn’t like to ride a mini train!

Enjoyed the wine tasting excursion to Robert Blank Vineyard– that could have been a better use of our time (my event planning antenna went up) They took a "leisurely” drive to get there – time which could have been better spent at the second stop in the town. However the winery owner was very enthusiastic and the venue was interesting – and the tasting was informative and enjoyable.

We took the optional excursion to the Audie Murphy Memorial and Colmar museum. Very small but well done. The young guide was respectful and was very knowledgable about the the WW2 history in the area and the Medal of Honor. She made a point of mentioning that her family was from the Czech Republic and shared a bit of personal perspective as to how grateful her family were to the Allied forces– not just the Americans.

Although we made our own travel arrangements and were not departing Basel until mid afternoon, Viking was very accommodating. While we had to be out of our stateroom by 9am, we had a leisurely breakfast and then joined the Viking tour of Basel. We returned to the ship after the tour and then enjoyed lunch courtesy of Viking before taking a taxi to the train station.

As a side note, we were told that the Viking Sun had been sold, would be repainted and sailing under new ownership beginning in 2016, and Viking planned to use the Sun name for one of the new ocean ships.

Overall, I would give the trip an solid A minus… the minus due only to a couple tour guides. Our expectations were exceeded on this trip - We met some fabulous new friends that we hope to travel with again, and we are looking at additional viking itineraries for next year!

Thanks for the review! We are doing Ams to Bas on the Viking Mani next August and I can't wait! This trip is a kind of retirement gift we're giving to ourselves and we're going top of the line where we can. We have a veranda stateroom and we upgraded to first class air. We're also doing 2 days in Amsterdam before - on our own - and 2 days in Lucerne with Viking.

We're waiting to book The Toren in Amsterdam. I've been in touch with them and they aren't taking reservations for the end of Aug yet - any day now :) We didn't want to do a chain, we wanted a small hotel and the Toren looks lovely - gets good reviews as well.

So glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise on the Sun!

Hey' date=' CyberKat - we are doing the cruise in reverse of yours - with 2 days precruise in Lucerne and 2 days post in Amsterdam, all booked with Viking. We waited too long to get tickets to Anne Frank, tho, gonna have to stand in line like tourists... ugh![/quote']

LOL! This is our second time in Amsterdam - the first was years ago. We're skipping the Anne Frank. I think we're going to do the Dutch Resistance museum instead. Good luck with the line :)

Hey' date=' CyberKat - we are doing the cruise in reverse of yours - with 2 days precruise in Lucerne and 2 days post in Amsterdam, all booked with Viking. We waited too long to get tickets to Anne Frank, tho, gonna have to stand in line like tourists... ugh![/quote']

Does your ship not offer an optional for Anne Frank? We booked onboard and our group got to skip the line and went right in. The queue was about three hours long, which is pretty typical. (just last Thursday) Much worse in summer time.

Our optional tour included the Anne Frank House and a tour of the old Jewish quarter. It was very interesting.

Does your ship not offer an optional for Anne Frank? We booked onboard and our group got to skip the line and went right in. The queue was about three hours long, which is pretty typical. (just last Thursday) Much worse in summer time.

Our optional tour included the Anne Frank House and a tour of the old Jewish quarter. It was very interesting.

We're not doing Amsterdam through Viking. Though I read the Diary of Anne Frank, I really don't have any desire to see the house. I'd much rather do the Resistance museum and some of the others. I know the Anne Frank house is considered a must see - but not on my list. :rolleyes:

Hi' date=' Kenster - Viking does not offer a tour for us! We looked at the Jewish Heritage tour, which sounds great, but we don't want to commit 5 hours. Instead I guess we will wait in line for 5 hours, lol![/quote']

You can get tickets ahead of time on your own

http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Online-ticket-sales/

Hi' date=' Kenster - Viking does not offer a tour for us! We looked at the Jewish Heritage tour, which sounds great, but we don't want to commit 5 hours. Instead I guess we will wait in line for 5 hours, lol![/quote']

The Jewish Heritage tour does not include the Anne Frank House? We had people on our ship who signed up for this optional, which included a tour of the Jewish quarter, then bailed out after Anne Frank House. They weren't interested in the rest of the tour but wanted to "skip the line" advantage at Anne Frank House.

We enjoyed the whole tour but, to me, nothing is worth standing in line for three or four or five hours.

Yes, but as she said, she waited too long. You have to get them months in advance. At least in peak season. Last time we were in Amsterdam I tried to book three month out and they were sold out for the next five months.

Yes, but as she said, she waited too long. You have to get them months in advance. At least in peak season. Last time we were in Amsterdam I tried to book three month out and they were sold out for the next five months.

Ah-ha! I didn't know they booked up that quickly. I don't think that will be the case with the museums we are interested in, unless we decide to do the Rijks or the Van Gogh again. I have to see if the Heineken Experience has tickets online.

Have been a "lurker" for over 8 months and thought I would pay it forward with some observations from my first ever (river or ocean!) cruise on the the Viking Sun.

As background, I have traveled, worked and studied overseas and as event planner by profession, I was the "mother duck” with all my groups when traveling domestically and internationally. As a result, I have never participated on any sort of “organized travel” program and am compulsive about destinations, trip details etc. After we booked, I was became apprehensive, particularly after reading about low water, ship swapping, poor communications and port locations. Thanks to other posters, I was able to make my self somewhat familiar with the ship as well as the itinerary.

We traveled on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel with my DH to celebrate his birthday and a belated anniversary gift to ourselves. I had filled out the passenger paperwork 6 months before the trip and had forgotten I had even mentioned these dates. Viking did not, however, and on the first night, he was presented w a cake at dinner and later in the week we were treated to a bottle of champagne in our stateroom - which they later chilled and we enjoyed w new friends at dinner.

I thought the food as good - solid, while perhaps not "gourmet" and a nice variety of options. I took the tour of the kitchen and they do a great job with the limited space. Personally, I enjoyed the opportunity to have the lighter lunches available upstairs. Wine and beer flowed freely at mealtimes and I found the lounge prices to be reasonable. A glass or two of wine w dinner and maybe an after dinner coffee drink and I was set.

I was incredibly pleased with my week on the Viking Sun and would give it a solid A. The service on board was top notch, from the bar staff, cabin stewards to the wait staff. Boyan, our program manager was never without a smile on his face, as he deftly juggled a myriad of daily crises including lost phones/cameras, missing buses, and late passengers.

During the trip, we had the “opportunity” to be rafted next to a Long Ship on several occasions, which gave me the opportunity to compare the two. I felt the Sun, which is considered an older ship – (although its barely a decade old) - was quite comparable, although not as “flashy” (with all the frosted glass, additional dining options, elevator and herb garden on the top deck.

On board, we were very comfortable, and the cabin actually was a bit larger than I had feared. Because we booked so late, we had a stateroom on the 3rd level with the sliding doors. I have to say, while I enjoyed having the large view, I think I would have preferred the half window, simply because I was terrified I was going to accidentally kick a shoe or something equally important out into the river!

We took most of the optional excursions, and it all depended on your tour guide. Because I was recovering from a foot injury, on several days I opted for the slow tour – or as Boyan named it the "Not fast & furious”.

The excursion in Koblenz to the fortress was one of the best I have ever been on –taking the gondola to the fortress gave a phenomenal view of the river, and the tour guides at the fortress were all in period dress and did the tour in first person as a spy. Very entertaining, educational and enjoyable.

Strasbourg & Heidelberg – Again this depends on your guide. The castle is worth the visit – if only for the beautiful views… and the wine cellar. I know that some folks were very disappointed in their guides. Same in Strasbourg - the cathedral is beautiful and the Petite Alsace area is lovely, but our tour guide was on a mission to get to the cathedral so we missed the opportunity to really appreciate the area in order to stay up with her.. And in fact, she rounded a corner while we were still waiting to cross the street and had we not had the quiet vox and could hear her describing a building - we might have totally gotten lost.

Rudesheim – totally cheesy and wonderful. If you are looking for culture and fining german dining – this is not your excursion. If you want experience the beer garden atmosphere, have a good traditional meal and sing silly songs and generally have a fun night out with your new friends from the ship – this is a great opportunity. And of course who doesn’t like to ride a mini train!

Enjoyed the wine tasting excursion to Robert Blank Vineyard– that could have been a better use of our time (my event planning antenna went up) They took a "leisurely” drive to get there – time which could have been better spent at the second stop in the town. However the winery owner was very enthusiastic and the venue was interesting – and the tasting was informative and enjoyable.

We took the optional excursion to the Audie Murphy Memorial and Colmar museum. Very small but well done. The young guide was respectful and was very knowledgable about the the WW2 history in the area and the Medal of Honor. She made a point of mentioning that her family was from the Czech Republic and shared a bit of personal perspective as to how grateful her family were to the Allied forces– not just the Americans.

Although we made our own travel arrangements and were not departing Basel until mid afternoon, Viking was very accommodating. While we had to be out of our stateroom by 9am, we had a leisurely breakfast and then joined the Viking tour of Basel. We returned to the ship after the tour and then enjoyed lunch courtesy of Viking before taking a taxi to the train station.

As a side note, we were told that the Viking Sun had been sold, would be repainted and sailing under new ownership beginning in 2016, and Viking planned to use the Sun name for one of the new ocean ships.

Overall, I would give the trip an solid A minus… the minus due only to a couple tour guides. Our expectations were exceeded on this trip - We met some fabulous new friends that we hope to travel with again, and we are looking at additional viking itineraries for next year!

The Viking Sun may have set ----

BUT

THE SUN WILL COME UP TOMORROW ---

Well, not actually TOMORROW --- but rumor has it, like the Phoenix, the SUN will arise from the ashes and return as the sister to the ocean ships, STAR, SEA & SKY. No date or itineraries announced, and can find no one at Viking who can even confirm, but a couple of web sites that track ship building make reference. Best guess seems to be sometime 2017. So, get your credit card out and make sure your passport is up to date!!! -:)

Robert

Hello RRose7,

yes I read that the name Viking Sun will be given to an ocean ship, well, as it will be available after the river Viking Sun has been sold. The good old Viking Sun will still sail a river with possibly a different colour hull and definitely a new name and probably refurbished, too.

notamermaid