We're off to Budapest today for the Viking Romantic Danube cruise!

dln929

Hello everyone! Short post because someone should be finishing up on the packing instead of being on Cruise Critic but I had to tell how excited we are to be traveling to Budapest. Excited. Not afraid. We're connecting through Washington D.C. to Brussels and then Budapest. Security will be tight, sure, but we've packed plenty of reading material and card games and what not. We won't get antsy if we face delays. We know the world is a dangerous place but honestly, what's new? It's always been, in one way shape or form. We're not staying home when there's so much to see and experience.

We're staying in the Grand Budapest Hotel--otherwise known to non-Wes Anderson fans as the Corinthia. Swim suit is packed for visits to the famous spas! And I can't wait to see the Christmas markets. Neither my husband or I have been to Budapest but we know from reading that their Christmas markets are among the best.

After three days we board the Viking Tor, Budapest to Nuremberg. It looks like the river gods have favored us in that water levels have recently risen. And if they hadn't? It wouldn't have bothered us if we'd been treated to a bus tour (and we may yet be ;)). Have any of you looked at those travel brochures for land tours? Big $$$ and how do you think you stay in ten luxury hotels in ten days if not by getting there...by bus. I figure if we're on a Viking "bus" tour, we're getting a land tour for river cruises prices and that's alright with us. It's an adventure and we're game for anything. My bottom line is feed me and water me and give me a nice bed at night and it's all good.

We have internet at the hotel and later on the Tor (or whatever ship we're swapped to) so I'll try to check in and give the daily report.

Well, you just removed any remaining flutters that were flying around my stomach this morning with your positive attitude. We leave tomorrow for Munich and Vienna, and then are on a Tauck Danube Christmas Market river cruise beginning on 11/29. My husband and I are intrepid travelers, so we aren't too afraid. Will be vigilant as usual. That's about all we can do. Plan on enjoying every second. Will wave if we see you pass. Have a great vacation!!

Fair winds! Have a wonderful trip. Just keep your head on a swivel and be observant and you will be fine. I'm with you. I'm not letting the craziness in the world stop us. If it's my time, it's my time. I will die doing what I love, travel and photography. I can only think of one better way to go but that's NSFW :).

Sounds wonderful! Have a great trip! Mine starts in almost 2 weeks and like you, I'm not worried. I am, however, very concerned that the airline will lose my luggage!:eek: Now that's frightening!!!

Bon Voyage!!! Tell us all about your trip when you get home and take lots of pics:)

I love your positive attitude. We leave on Friday for Budapest and the AmaBella. And we feel the same way. Staying at home in fear is just not an option. There was a plot to blow up the Christmas Tree lighting ceremony in downtown Portland a couple of years ago that was intercepted by the FBI. Things can happen anywhere. Stay vigilant and use caution and most of all - have fun!

Thanks everyone for your kind words. We're in Budapest now. We connected through Brussels and you'd have never guessed that there was anything amiss (in regard to terrorist threats ). It was a quick and easy immigration process. We took a walk tonight through Budapest along the river front and saw an AMA Waterways ship docked.

My daughter and I did this trip 3 weeks ago on Avalon. We also stayed at the Corinthia and loved the peace and quiet. The spa downstairs was wonderful. Try to get reservations at Bock Bistro. We tried 2 nights and were unsuccessful, but will try again next time! It is a wonderful city!

Have a wonderful time! I was in Budapest for several days about 5 days ago and found the Xmas markets seemed to have nicer things than I saw in Germany last year! And as you know by now, the lights on the river are just gorgeous at night...

On a second note, I flew home from Prague yesterday, to Amsterdam then Boston. The security in Amsterdam was very intense. I felt very safe.

We walked down to the dock tonight to ask when would be a good time to board the Tor. We met the Cruise Director, Daniel. Nice man. It was wonderful to see our ship where she should be! Daniel did mention one problematic part of the river nut we'll face that when it comes. This is so exciting for us!