karnak or valley of the kings

susietb

Difficult choice, and both interesting. Probably depends on what else you have seen in Egypt apart from the pyramids in Cairo. Have you done Luxor or Abu Simbel?

Inside the tombs at the Valley of the Kings is pretty amazing. But Karnak is a large site and very interesting. For me I would probably lean towards Karnak, but not if you have done Luxor. In some respects Karnak & Luxor are similar, and the tombs at Valley of the Kings are quite different to any of the temple sites in Egypt, of which there are many. But for uniqueness the choice would be Valley of the Kings. Have never seen wall paintings as elaborate as those in those tombs. You don't get to go in all of them - we saw three and they were all quite different.

This probably didn't help much! However, we enjoyed both of these sites much more than the Cairo pyramids. You can't go wrong with either of them!

I'm surprised they're not combined in one admittedly-long day. Or at least the V of the Kings combined with the nearby Temple of Hatshepsut. Seems silly to do a 6-hour round-trip for just one, when the extra travelling time is only about 45 minutes.

Valley of the Kings is perhaps more of a "bucket list" place, but it's just a dusty little valley with a number of tunnels on each side leading to burial chambers. All the chambers are empty, though there are plenty of interesting hieroglyphics (sp.?) in most, and wall-paintings in some.

No interpretation centre, no shops or stalls, and very little signage - all very bleak but that does maintain its atmosphere.

Karnak is much more imposing, but it's in a city setting.

I'll respectfully disagree with the kiwi & plump for V of the Kings.

Karnak has its rivals throughout the birthplace of civilisation, V of the Kings is unique.

But it's a shame you have to choose.

JB :)

we've been to both and they are wonderful. Since you've seen the pyramids, I would suggest that the V of the K is different, unique & I vote for it. If you can stay late, Karnak has an evening sound & light show. I would place Temple of Hatshepsut the third choice.

Edited by dabear

Thank you everyone for your advice!

We are going with the full day tour of Ancient Luxor which includes the Valley of the Kingss, Hatshepsut Temple, Colossi of Memnon and the Luxor Temple Complex.