Petra, Jordan and Mobility Challenges

saffikins

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has successfully visited Petra with a mobility issue.

My partner has sciatic nerve damage following a hip replacement (young 45) and has some paralysis in lower leg as a result, which can lead to limited mobility at times, she can do some steps etc (for example, boarding an aircraft) but struggles with distance due to pain and tiredness.

We are calling at Aqaba on our upcoming Ovation of the Seas cruise and I have been doing some research around visiting Petra, including a search on here where most of the advice tended towards don't try to do it, with the exception of one lady, who seems remarkable in that she had managed to see many of the worlds heritage sites.

However on the visit Jordan website, I found the following:

It is not permitted for motorized vehicles to enter the site. But if you don't want to walk, you can hire a horse or a horse-drawn carriage to take you through the one kilometre Siq. For the elderly and/or handicapped, the Visitors' Centre, close to the entrance of the Siq, will issue a special permit (at an extra fee), for the carriage to go inside Petra to visit the main attractions. Once inside the site, you can hire a donkey, or for the more adventurous, a camel - both come with handlers and take designated routes throughout the site.

*http://international.visitjordan.com/Wheretogo/Petra.aspx#.dpuf

So, I'm just wondering has anyone availed of this special permit and if so, had you organised an independent trip to Petra or did you do it as part of a ship excursion?

Also, whilst I respect the traditions and way of life of other cultures, I don't like seeing animals being mistreated and would be adverse to the idea of using these animals if it was detrimental to their welfare [emoji15]

I shall post this on the Africa and Middle East forums as well, in the hope that someone can help with my queries.

Many thanks in advance

Karen

We have been to Petra and it would be very difficult for someone with mobility problems. We walked down, but rented a horse and carriage to go back up at the end of the day. It is a very rough ride on the path and I found it extremely uncomfortable. The only alternative mode of transportation was going on horseback (and this was only offered at the half way mark coming back up.

Thanks everyone for your replies , as I mentioned in my original post, this was the kind of feedback I was envisaging, however I was hoping someone might be able to answer the more specific question about the special permit and whether this might make it a more attainable goal?

Thanks everyone for your replies , as I mentioned in my original post, this was the kind of feedback I was envisaging, however I was hoping someone might be able to answer the more specific question about the special permit and whether this might make it a more attainable goal?

Perhaps you might want to consider a Wadi Rum tour, as you can be in your personally-guided 4x4, and there is no-to-minimal walking required...

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has successfully visited Petra with a mobility issue.

My partner has sciatic nerve damage following a hip replacement (young 45) and has some paralysis in lower leg as a result, which can lead to limited mobility at times, she can do some steps etc (for example, boarding an aircraft) but struggles with distance due to pain and tiredness.

We are calling at Aqaba on our upcoming Ovation of the Seas cruise and I have been doing some research around visiting Petra, including a search on here where most of the advice tended towards don't try to do it, with the exception of one lady, who seems remarkable in that she had managed to see many of the worlds heritage sites.

However on the visit Jordan website, I found the following:

It is not permitted for motorized vehicles to enter the site. But if you don't want to walk, you can hire a horse or a horse-drawn carriage to take you through the one kilometre Siq. For the elderly and/or handicapped, the Visitors' Centre, close to the entrance of the Siq, will issue a special permit (at an extra fee), for the carriage to go inside Petra to visit the main attractions. Once inside the site, you can hire a donkey, or for the more adventurous, a camel - both come with handlers and take designated routes throughout the site.

*http://international.visitjordan.com/Wheretogo/Petra.aspx#.dpuf

So, I'm just wondering has anyone availed of this special permit and if so, had you organised an independent trip to Petra or did you do it as part of a ship excursion?

Also, whilst I respect the traditions and way of life of other cultures, I don't like seeing animals being mistreated and would be adverse to the idea of using these animals if it was detrimental to their welfare [emoji15]

I shall post this on the Africa and Middle East forums as well, in the hope that someone can help with my queries.

Many thanks in advance

Karen

Petra is amazing and wonderful to see. The six is a long narrow crack in the earth at times probably no more than 10 feet wide, cobble stoned, and about 3/4 mile long. As far as I know it's the only way into the ancient city (i.e. the area you wants t see). Mules or donkeys are commonly offered to transport people, for a fee, from people who go there to make money offering this. I've heard stories of the people doing this being more or less skillful in being able to help you control the animal and many people have had falls. That said, if carefully chosen, this may still be the best option.

Have a great time. You MUST go.

- Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure when your trip is, OP, but hope you will report back.

We will be at Petra in November, 2017, on Azamara Journey. I am currently screening guides to use for a carriage tour with time to see and photograph the sites I am interested in. I will report back.

Not sure when your trip is, OP, but hope you will report back.

We will be at Petra in November, 2017, on Azamara Journey. I am currently screening guides to use for a carriage tour with time to see and photograph the sites I am interested in. I will report back.

Hi there

We go in May, so not long now.... Eeeeek. Will definitely report back

Try to not stress. I do all I can to get it organized but there are always surprises and sometimes blessings. I have done the pyramids at Giza, the Flam rail trip, Maachu Pichu, and most recently, Easter Island. It is all good because even the ones that had some hiccup were great trips, and much better than staying home and missing it all. I can't wait to hear your report!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

We were in Petra a few years ago & we have to agree with the above posters. It would be very difficult to visit to go through the main , narrow passageway with mobility issues and we were told (& saw the horse and carriages were not safe). On the other hand, we saw someone taken away with an ambulance which apparently went through another entrance. You may want to look into it, but it may not be open to the public.

Edited by dabear

if you go to Jordan and dont visit Petra dont need to go there in the first place ;)

for the horse carriages check out the official Petra homepage:

http://www.visitpetra.jo/Pages/viewpage.aspx?pageID=138

you can not take an motorized vehicle through the Sig but the local or ambulance can get into Petra throug another way; if you check google maps a little north of the Winged Lion Temple is a parking lot.

if you go to Jordan and dont visit Petra dont need to go there in the first place ;)

for the horse carriages check out the official Petra homepage:

http://www.visitpetra.jo/Pages/viewpage.aspx?pageID=138

you can not take an motorized vehicle through the Sig but the local or ambulance can get into Petra throug another way; if you check google maps a little north of the Winged Lion Temple is a parking lot.

Thank you for the info

Saffikins, after corresponding with several tour providers I have learned that I will definitely take a carriage all the way to the museum, which is a charge of 40USD.I think that will maximize what I can see. The carriages are obtained at the visitor center and hold two people each.

When you are there in May, and if you remember and don't mind, please note if these carriages look doable for a short person since I do not know how high they are. Thank you very much in advance, and if you want to PM me, address is gulfbeach@live.com.

Saffikins, after corresponding with several tour providers I have learned that I will definitely take a carriage all the way to the museum, which is a charge of 40USD.I think that will maximize what I can see. The carriages are obtained at the visitor center and hold two people each.

When you are there in May, and if you remember and don't mind, please note if these carriages look doable for a short person since I do not know how high they are. Thank you very much in advance, and if you want to PM me, address is gulfbeach@live.com.

Thank you for this info

I will try and remember to let you know how we get on.

Define short? at 5ft 3in myself I don't think of myself as tall.... Lol

Just did Petra and am disabled. Took a horse carriage down and back. Hired a donkey while I was in bottom. Animals were well taken care of, in good condition, and not mistreated. I too am short and could get in carriage without difficulty

Just did Petra and am disabled. Took a horse carriage down and back. Hired a donkey while I was in bottom. Animals were well taken care of, in good condition, and not mistreated. I too am short and could get in carriage without difficulty

Thank you for the feedback.

We are doing a tour with Jordan Horizons, I emailed them and they advised that their guide will help us get organised. Will let you know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...