Wheelchair friendly shuttle bus in Muscat?

Biotcruisers

Hi,

My wife is confined to a wheelchair and we are on Splendour of the Seas next month. The last time we visited Muscat on a ship 4 years ago the shuttle buses were NOT user friendly for wheelchairs.

I would like to know if the situation has improved since then. Is there anyone who has recently been to Muscat who knows if the shuttle buses are now wheelchair friendly?

Grateful for any information that anyone might have.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

My wife is confined to a wheelchair and we are on Splendour of the Seas next month. The last time we visited Muscat on a ship 4 years ago the shuttle buses were NOT user friendly for wheelchairs.

I would like to know if the situation has improved since then. Is there anyone who has recently been to Muscat who knows if the shuttle buses are now wheelchair friendly?

Grateful for any information that anyone might have.

Cheers,

Steve

I would also ask this on the Ports of Call forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

We were in Muscat this past May. I did not recall seeing any indication that the shuttle busses were wheelchair friendly. I believe Muscat Port does not allow any foot traffic and thus all passengers must take the shuttle or excursion vehicle out of the port. Because of limited private excursions and extreme unfamiliarity we took the RCCL sponsored Red Bus On/Off tour and that bus met us at the ship. If there are any RCCL excursions that indicate accessibility, that may be the best option. They may use a van/bus that will meet your needs.

Good luck

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Muscat (and Oman in general) is NOT wheelchair friendly.

The footpath are quite random and mostly uneven with steps, barriers and obstacles all over the place.

Some exceptions are the new Opera House, the SQ Grand Mosque one or two shopping malls (lifts). The corniche (water-front) near the port is not too bad and has a wide walk way, but be prepared a few gaps and lose paving stones.

BUSES in Muscat are really not wheelchair friendly. none of those "kneeling" buses. It would be interesting to see if (or HOW) your cruise line would accommodate less mobile guests in Muscat.

It is very, very rare to see wheelchairs out in public.

Even at Muscat airport (where there are no aerobridges) "disabled" passengers are loaded by a catering truck style high-loader.