Dubai Flights

katz

We are currently looking at return flights from Dubai to Washington, DC. The ones with the best route for us depart around 1 am. Our cruise has an overnight in Dubai. We are considering leaving the ship late on the first night we are in port, instead of leaving the ship the actual day of disembarkation and having to spend the whole day and night either in the airport or entertaining ourselves.

Has anyone taken a late flight like this, and what did you do if you spent the day and part of the night in Dubai? Do cruiselines discourage people from leaving early?

Thank you for your help.

We did this in Istanbul in order to make a 2:00 AM flight. It was not a problem at all, as some people started to disembark as soon as the ship docked. You will however, have to clear this with your cruiseline.

The way we figure it won't be back to Dubai probably so why so hurry. We go one more stop to Abu Dhabi but that gives only a port day in Dubai. From friends who have been in the last month, they report interesting place and much to do. We are interested in the desert safari and cultural dinner. There are several airlines that offer special prices for layovers, stop overs and visits. I personally would check to see if airline or hotel has pricing on at least a day room to freshen up . I have not been able to identify flights to IDA that were not middle of night. 3 middle east airlines much cheaper than all others for economy-- pricing IDA to dBX (stop over) to Singapore then DBX to Dulles back Jan 2017 at $980 per person without sale pricing. United or American to SIN and back from DBX was in $3,000 range economy.

Le Meridien Dubai that is next door to the airport now offers day room bookings for people with a Dubai layover or a lot of time before their flight leaves. The complex has many restaurants in a pleasant setting. You could drop your luggage off once you leave the ship and spend the day doing something you may have missed on your port day in Dubai (visiting the creek area with traditional gold and spice souks, Sheik Mohammed Center for Cultural Understanding, the Museum of Islamic Civilization in Sharjah, more shopping at Dubai Mall, water taxi tour, brunch if it is a Friday, etc) Don't leave early, who knows when you will be back:)

http://www.lemeridien-dubai.com

• 2 weeks later...

We've booked an Abu Dhabi to Singapore cruise. It appears that you can fly into Dubai then take a shuttle bus to the Abu Dhabi port, although I've seen flights to Abu Dhabi as well. Do I have this correct? We always fly a day or two early so I'm trying to figure out where we want to stay. If we stay in Dubai, do you take a shuttle or cab to the port?

It appears that you can fly into Dubai then take a shuttle bus to the Abu Dhabi port, although I've seen flights to Abu Dhabi as well. Do I have this correct?
Both Dubai and Abu Dhabi are big international hub airports. Emirates is based in Dubai, and Etihad is based in Abu Dhabi. Both have flights from many parts of North America. And many other airlines also operate to both airports. And it's quite common for people to fly to one airport even though they're really going to the other city.