Alas there was no Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle

Britcruiser

We have just got back from cruising on Nautica and thought we would share our perceptions about Oceania in comparison to Azamara as we are great AZ fans.

Embarkation was slower than AZ as less information had been collected in advance and priority given to suite and veranda guests with a check-in desk ratio 5:1 - the 'one' didn't start operating until a half hour after the others.

Our stateroom amenities, service etc. was identical to AZ but bedding and towels superior quality and quantity.

Lifeboat drill was not as slick as AZ as staff exuded little authority, there was confusion about the wearing of lifejackets and there was no address from the Captain or Officers to underline its importance.

Alas there was no Meet and Mingle - which is a good opportunity to meet other guests.

We found the food to be excellent in the MDR, cafe, pool grill and speciality restaurants (these could be booked in advance had no extra charge and we as new customers were able to book two visits. Afternoon Tea served in Horizons (Looking Glass) was a delight but seriously interfered with our appetite for dinner. Overall we felt the food was a little better than AZ.

Service in the dining venue was similar to Az i.e. very good. There was never a wait for tables and all venues were well used -the extra covers in Toscana and Polo and the extra seating on the back of the cafe freed up space elsewhere.

The bar area next to the MDR was known as Baristas where coffee and cookies etc. were served. This had no atmosphere, few patrons, everchanging staff although the range of coffees was good.

Oh how we missed the Mosaic with its regular staff and guests from morning to night - this area was largely a walk thru zone except for when the excellent resident string quartet were playing. The Ambassador (equivalent of LCV hostess had a desk there but appeared only to be booking future cruises and did not interact with guests otherwise.

The Martini bar was little used but had no television.

The cabaret was similar to AZ but did not have a separate performance from the Cruise Director which is always much anticipated and appreciated on AZ - thanks to Tony, Russ and Eric.

The most used bar was Horizons - we did experience some patchy service - longish waits, wrong drink -lack of knowledge. We were glad we had the drinks package (part of TA deal)as the prices were high - the 2 for 1 happy hour most nights were well attended!

We did not use the Spa, Gym Internet or take any of the Tours (prices of which were unbelievable.

Guest relations staff were friendly and helpful - Amelia on Nautica was outstanding - Az has equal gems in their guest relations staff.

We found the security on the ship different to AZ - at first our bags etc. went thru the 'xray' but as the cruise went on we were just waved thru after our card was swiped.

There was also no encouragement to use the hand sanitizers - hence very few people did so. The MD of Toscana ,a charming man, shook hands with all guests as they left - we departed whilst he was engaged elsewhere!

What was the Big Difference? -No Captain or Officers to be seen (except Cocktail Party and Smoking Room). We only saw the Cruise Director on stage and tv. There was no welcome on return to the quayside, no barbecue, no brunch, no deck party, no evening out.

We enjoyed our O cruise but are now looking forward to sailing in August on Journey and hoping the future changes will prove positive.

Great review with some very good points I hope some one with power and authority at O reads it

I can't wait to take an AZ cruise to see if I agree

Thank you for time on this

We have just got back from cruising on Nautica and thought we would share our perceptions about Oceania in comparison to Azamara as we are great AZ fans.

Embarkation was slower than AZ as less information had been collected in advance and priority given to suite and veranda guests with a check-in desk ratio 5:1 - the 'one' didn't start operating until a half hour after the others.

Our stateroom amenities, service etc. was identical to AZ but bedding and towels superior quality and quantity.

Lifeboat drill was not as slick as AZ as staff exuded little authority, there was confusion about the wearing of lifejackets and there was no address from the Captain or Officers to underline its importance.

Alas there was no Meet and Mingle - which is a good opportunity to meet other guests.

We found the food to be excellent in the MDR, cafe, pool grill and speciality restaurants (these could be booked in advance had no extra charge and we as new customers were able to book two visits. Afternoon Tea served in Horizons (Looking Glass) was a delight but seriously interfered with our appetite for dinner. Overall we felt the food was a little better than AZ.

Service in the dining venue was similar to Az i.e. very good. There was never a wait for tables and all venues were well used -the extra covers in Toscana and Polo and the extra seating on the back of the cafe freed up space elsewhere.

The bar area next to the MDR was known as Baristas where coffee and cookies etc. were served. This had no atmosphere, few patrons, everchanging staff although the range of coffees was good.

Oh how we missed the Mosaic with its regular staff and guests from morning to night - this area was largely a walk thru zone except for when the excellent resident string quartet were playing. The Ambassador (equivalent of LCV hostess had a desk there but appeared only to be booking future cruises and did not interact with guests otherwise.

The Martini bar was little used but had no television.

The cabaret was similar to AZ but did not have a separate performance from the Cruise Director which is always much anticipated and appreciated on AZ - thanks to Tony, Russ and Eric.

The most used bar was Horizons - we did experience some patchy service - longish waits, wrong drink -lack of knowledge. We were glad we had the drinks package (part of TA deal)as the prices were high - the 2 for 1 happy hour most nights were well attended!

We did not use the Spa, Gym Internet or take any of the Tours (prices of which were unbelievable.

Guest relations staff were friendly and helpful - Amelia on Nautica was outstanding - Az has equal gems in their guest relations staff.

We found the security on the ship different to AZ - at first our bags etc. went thru the 'xray' but as the cruise went on we were just waved thru after our card was swiped.

There was also no encouragement to use the hand sanitizers - hence very few people did so. The MD of Toscana ,a charming man, shook hands with all guests as they left - we departed whilst he was engaged elsewhere!

What was the Big Difference? -No Captain or Officers to be seen (except Cocktail Party and Smoking Room). We only saw the Cruise Director on stage and tv. There was no welcome on return to the quayside, no barbecue, no brunch, no deck party, no evening out.

We enjoyed our O cruise but are now looking forward to sailing in August on Journey and hoping the future changes will prove positive.

Hi Diane,

Glad you and Alan had a good time on Nautica. Your insights were very helpful as I plan to try Oceania one of these days.

Lottie and I had a really excellent cruise on Holland Ameica although possibly our experience was coloured by the fact that we were upgraded to a fabulous suite on day 2 when our balcony cabin had innumerable plumbing problems.

However disregarding our palatial accommodation, in the main I found the food on Zuiderdam to be very good although we did have one or two bad dinners. Afternoon tea in the restaurant was a joke apart fom the Dutch tea (although we couldn't quite work out what was Dutch about it)

The crew were very charming and the Guest Relations Manager was incredibly helpful and receptive to our issue. The Officers though were completely invisible. Apart from once saying hello to the Captain, I didn't see any other officer let alone speak to them.

I thought the interior design of the ship was simply ghastly, there were tacky looking statues all round the ship. Not my taste at all. And I kid you not a public room could have three different carpets of varying design and colour. At a lunch we attended the Captain proudly boasted that they had spent $35 million on new carpeting at a recent refurbishment. As I commented to Lottie I could have spent that budget far better.

All that said our cruise was incredible value for money. We had fairly low expectations and booked it purely for the lovely med itinerary. We had Heathow flights, private transfers and two pre cruise nights in a hotel in Barcelona and it cost nowhere near a 7 nighter on Azamara.

However, I too missed the talents of particularly Russ and Tony, the Mosaic Cafe, the wonderful crew and the general ambience of Azamara.

I would have no problem cruising Holland Ameica again but I would describe it as a cruise whereas sailing Azamara is an experience.

Hope we have the chance to cruise with you and Alan again on Az before too long.

Thanks very much for informing us about some of the salient similarities and differences between Azamara and Oceania.

Based upon your experience, is it possible to compare the demographics on each line.

Thanks very much for informing us about some of the salient similarities and differences between Azamara and Oceania.

Based upon your experience, is it possible to compare the demographics on each line.

The demographics were similar to AZ. A few children and teenagers (school holidays)in family groups - mostly active retired from US plus continental Europeans, British, Australians, Canadians etc.

The ship did not provide any information regarding passenger breakdown so this is just our experience of who we met and observed.

Hello Hazel (and Lottie) Glad you had a good time despite the bad start. We struggle with the value for money opportunities on many lines. O is a similar price to AZ but we got a fairly reasonable price with tips and drinks package included which made it cheaper.

Hope to meet again - We keep up with both of your posts so know what you and Lottie are up to! regards Diane & Alan

Hi, We generally arrange a meet up via the roll call on Oceania cruises, usually after muster drill.

I agree that the officers aren't so visible on O but that's never spoilt my enjoyment of a cruise.

Agree that tour prices on O are crazy but now A has stopped the discounts they're probably on a par, we usually arrange private tours with members of the roll call or do our own thing.

Your comment re the CD putting on a show in the entertainment isn't always the case, I suppose it depends on the CD and their talents.

On Marina last month the CD Julie James gave a show in the theatre, singing jazz.

All in all the lines are pretty comparable.

Re the hand sanitizers, as adults we should be responsible for our own personal hygiene and not need to be chivvied like children. In over 50 cruises, sometimes on ships with bad outbreaks of GI (Journey from Mumbai to Athens springs to mind :eek:) we have never had any problems.

Edited by Glenndale

The demographics were similar to AZ. A few children and teenagers (school holidays)in family groups - mostly active retired from US plus continental Europeans, British, Australians, Canadians etc.

The ship did not provide any information regarding passenger breakdown so this is just our experience of who we met and observed.

Thanks very much.

Hi Diane,

I hope you and Alan are well.

Thanks for your interesting Oceania review....and it very much mirrors my own view on Oceania v Azamara. I enjoyed Marina as a ship very much, the food was good but I think Azamara is pretty much on par, except for the truly spectacular afternoon tea on Oceania. Yes, the main difference is the entertainment, which I have to say was dreadful on our Marina cruise, it was like amateur night at the local club. The CD was rarely seen, just did announcements and trivia sometimes, but there was no comparison with the talented, visible and friendly Russ, Tony and Eric. Of course there was also the complete invisibility of the Captain and officers. A lot of Oceania cruisers seem to take the view that the Captain is only there to drive the ship....but we all know what a huge difference Captains Carl and Johannes make to everyone's cruise enjoyment.

We also found that most people seemed to go to bed at 10pm. The ship was dead after that time and there was very little late night entertainment. Dancing in the Looking Glass was much missed.

I may return to Oceania if there was a bargain or an exciting itinerary but Azamara would always be my first choice.

Really hope to see you both again soon on Azamara.

Thank you for your Oceania review. Bob and I leave for Montreal on Thursday for our 1st cruise on Oceania. We'll be on the Insignia which is a "R" ship so enjoyed reading the comparison to Azamara.

Garry

[quote name=Lottie A;47192452

Thanks for your interesting Oceania review....and it very much mirrors my own view on Oceania v Azamara. I enjoyed Marina as a ship very much' date=' the food was good but I think Azamara is pretty much on par, except for the truly spectacular afternoon tea on Oceania. Yes, the main difference is the entertainment, which I have to say was dreadful on our Marina cruise, it was like amateur night at the local club. The CD was rarely seen, just did announcements and trivia sometimes, but there was no comparison with the talented, visible and friendly Russ, Tony and Eric. Of course there was also the complete invisibility of the Captain and officers. A lot of Oceania cruisers seem to take the view that the Captain is only there to drive the ship....but we all know what a huge difference Captains Carl and Johannes make to everyone's cruise enjoyment.

We also found that most people seemed to go to bed at 10pm. The ship was dead after that time and there was very little late night entertainment. Dancing in the Looking Glass was much missed.

I may return to Oceania if there was a bargain or an exciting itinerary but Azamara would always be my first choice.

.[/quote]

Agree with you Lottie. We have sailed on Riviera a number of times and have enjoyed every trip but the 'entertainment' is mostly pretty awful! We have been on 'drinks included' cruises and the bars are still dead by 9.00pm.

Also agree the afternoon teas are not to be missed!

It is the crew that makes Azamara so very special and we are really excited to be returning to Azamara in December Bali.

It is the crew that makes Azamara so very special and we are really excited to be returning to Azamara in December Bali.

During a Q&A session with Captain Jose on the recent Quest British Isles cruise, Captain Jose was asked the reason for the unique "culture" found aboard Azamara ships. Jose said it started from the top down, that he and the crew thought of the ship as their "home" and behaved as if ship's passengers were guests in the crew's "home." He said if he had guests at his home in Portugal, he would not hide on the third floor while his guests were on the first floor, and this is why he spends as much time as he does on deck 5, in the buffet, and other passenger areas on the ship. Contrast this with the typical captain who concludes his noon announcement with "see you around the ship" but rarely if ever enters passenger areas, and then only for special event appearances--as we found on recent Regent and Princess cruises.

He also said that maintaining a happy crew was an important reason for this rather special "culture," saying it's impossible for a crew member to be unhappy on deck 3 and then to pretend to be happy with passengers on deck 5 or above.

An example of Azamara "culture" is the three-person crew that was assembled to carry 600+ passengers' carry-ons down the stepped gangway when we disembarked Quest this past Saturday in Edinburgh: Philip the hotel director, Stephane the F&B manager, and Russ the cruise director. Active involvement in tasks like this by senior managers goes a long way toward keeping crew morale high, and it's noted and well-received by departing passengers.

Edited by marinaro44

• 3 weeks later...
During a Q&A session with Captain Jose on the recent Quest British Isles cruise, Captain Jose was asked the reason for the unique "culture" found aboard Azamara ships. Jose said it started from the top down, that he and the crew thought of the ship as their "home" and behaved as if ship's passengers were guests in the crew's "home." He said if he had guests at his home in Portugal, he would not hide on the third floor while his guests were on the first floor, and this is why he spends as much time as he does on deck 5, in the buffet, and other passenger areas on the ship. Contrast this with the typical captain who concludes his noon announcement with "see you around the ship" but rarely if ever enters passenger areas, and then only for special event appearances--as we found on recent Regent and Princess cruises.

He also said that maintaining a happy crew was an important reason for this rather special "culture," saying it's impossible for a crew member to be unhappy on deck 3 and then to pretend to be happy with passengers on deck 5 or above.

An example of Azamara "culture" is the three-person crew that was assembled to carry 600+ passengers' carry-ons down the stepped gangway when we disembarked Quest this past Saturday in Edinburgh: Philip the hotel director, Stephane the F&B manager, and Russ the cruise director. Active involvement in tasks like this by senior managers goes a long way toward keeping crew morale high, and it's noted and well-received by departing passengers.

Russ and Phillip are one heck of a good "tag Team". They are both quick witted and funny. Watching Russ have fun just wears me out.

Russ and Phillip are one heck of a good "tag Team". They are both quick witted and funny.
Russ and Philip are simply the best. They're a dynamic duo who add pizazz and professionalism to Quest! It's tough to pick favorites in the AZ line-up but Russ and Philip are a tough combo to beat. They're both exceptional in their respective roles. We look forward to seeing them next year.