Princess fine art no more !

curiouscat

We have as well.

Not sure if you have seen Park West do this, but they will have auctions where there will be 5-6 pieces turned backward and you bid on them sight unseen with no obligation to buy them once you see it. We purchased a very large Linda LaKinff print at a fantastic price..I'm talking about $30! We had them frame it and deliver it to our home. Framing is expensive, but their prices were not out of line with any other framing shop. The piece when framed is just stunning!! It's the first thing you see when you walk into our home!

Yep bought a few of those sets, my son has one set hanging in his house he loves them, three in the set all up frames and all about $200 from memory.

It only generates money because a lot of people like to have things to look at in their homes, like us. You don't have to buy anything you think is "ugly" and the prices for the prints are much better than in any gallery as I have compared them. Each to their own.;)

I always haul my fine art home from my cruise in the car I bought at my dentist's office. The dentist assures me that the cars he sells at the office cost way more when they are at a car lot!

Edited by SteerageJack

I always haul my fine art home from my cruise in the car I bought at my dentist's office. The dentist assures me that the cars he sells at the office cost way more when they are at a car lot!

OK, that's pretty funny. Thanks for the chuckle. :cool:

In the past, we've bought some pieces that we liked from PFA. We also enjoyed the auctions, they were low key, the auctioneer usually knew what he/she was talking about. Overall a pleasant and somewhat educational way to spend time.

Once PW took over that all changed. Carnival sideshow describes it well, loud and obnoxious. We attended two PW auctions when they first took over and then decided no more. We also found it interesting that the variety of artists/styles dropped quite a bit. We've not seen anything since that we find remotely interesting. It also seems that the percentage of art that actually sells has dropped quite a bit as well.

In my rarely humble opinion;

"Fine art" is a marketing term. No one would get exciting to buy something billed as average art, hence they call it fine art. ..........

"Oh look Janice, the Smiths got the one with the really neat blob."........

Never have kidded ourselves about the two prints that we bought (from the old Princess Fine Arts group, btw). Never thought of them as "fine art" (they weren't). In fact I looked one of them up today and saw that a copy print (not sure of the "number", unlikely a value factor anyway). It sold for $52.00. Wow, we made a whooping minus $115.00. LOL. Anyway, this was not one of the current blob style prints and we still like it as it is a reminder of the cruise with my father who is now gone. Value, only in our eyes. Investment(?), see above (-$115.00). I don't think so. It was just fun at the time. As a memory it still is fun.

Edited by ar1950

Never have kidded ourselves about the two prints that we bought (from the old Princess Fine Arts group, btw). Never thought of them as "fine art" (they weren't). In fact I looked one of them up today and saw that a copy print (not sure of the "number", unlikely a value factor anyway). It sold for $52.00. Wow, we made a whooping minus $115.00. LOL. Anyway, this was not one of the current blob style prints and we still like it as it is a reminder of the cruise with my father who is now gone. Value, only in our eyes. Investment(?), see above (-$115.00). I don't think so. It was just fun at the time. As a memory it still is fun.

Like you, I was just having a bit of fun with the whole fine art thing. My best.:)

Edited by SteerageJack

Totally agree! You can look at it each day and remember your cruise! Sure beats buying yet another t-shirt, coffee mug or key chain! ;)

DW and I have made several PW purchases on board multiple ships. We have always been very satisfied with our experience and our art. I don't buy $75,000 Picassos, we buy thing we like at prices we find are reasonable. Could I find a better deal? Sure. Do I want to scour the internet looking for one with no guarantee of what the condition is when I get it? No. I like being able to choose my frame and get something that fits my style and I know will come to me in 1 piece. I have always found the art folks friendly and willing to spend some time showing you particular works and discussing the artist. I never go on a cruise to buy art, but if we see something we like I have never hesitated to buy it.

That being said our last cruise in March on the Crown I was slightly disappointed. While I don't like having to get a bidding card I understand that it makes the process easier. But my main gripe was that this particular auctioneer did some kind of gimmick having a number of works on stage turned around. He would then say he is selling them as a lot for an undisclosed price. People needed to raise their numbers so he could call them out and his staff could record them as only the recorded numbers could then purchase the lot if they so choose. This was silly to me and only designed as a gimmick to generate buzz, there was no way anyone could record people's numbers. It was disappointing.

Other than that we enjoy looking at the art, learning a little about the artist and relaxing for an hour or so on our cruise.

I was a professional picture framer for 27 years and in our trade the term "Cruise Ship Art" is usually uttered with a curl of the lip and a roll of the eye.

Our main concern with it is that much of what is sold is not "art" in the strict sense of the word but open edition prints which are usually sold at far higher prices than your friendly local picture framer would charge.

Another problem is so-called "Limited Edition" prints which are passed off as "investments". These editions are often "limited" to 500 or more, printed on only average quality paper and are by artists no-one has ever heard of. They may be good decorations but, trust me, that is all they will ever be.

Finally, we come to the framing and this is a where our cruisers often get "had" without knowing it. There is a lot more to framing than meets the eye and cutting corners has real implications for the longevity of the artwork. Organisations like your cruise line outsource their framing and the only question they ask of the framer is "how cheaply can you do this" and the lowest number wins.

What can go wrong?

Plenty, more than I will bore you with here, but this is the website of the business I owned and it will give you a few clues as to what you should check for.

http://www.artframers.com.au/

If you see something you really like at a cruise ship auction and really must have it by all means buy it and enjoy it for what it is. If you want an investment or are paying serious money for "real" art you are better off dealing with a reputable gallery or contacting the artist directly and cutting out the middle-men,

Edited by Colin B

DW and I have made several PW purchases on board multiple ships. We have always been very satisfied with our experience and our art. I don't buy $75,000 Picassos, we buy thing we like at prices we find are reasonable. Could I find a better deal? Sure. Do I want to scour the internet looking for one with no guarantee of what the condition is when I get it? No. I like being able to choose my frame and get something that fits my style and I know will come to me in 1 piece. I have always found the art folks friendly and willing to spend some time showing you particular works and discussing the artist. I never go on a cruise to buy art, but if we see something we like I have never hesitated to buy it.

That being said our last cruise in March on the Crown I was slightly disappointed. While I don't like having to get a bidding card I understand that it makes the process easier. But my main gripe was that this particular auctioneer did some kind of gimmick having a number of works on stage turned around. He would then say he is selling them as a lot for an undisclosed price. People needed to raise their numbers so he could call them out and his staff could record them as only the recorded numbers could then purchase the lot if they so choose. This was silly to me and only designed as a gimmick to generate buzz, there was no way anyone could record people's numbers. It was disappointing.

Other than that we enjoy looking at the art, learning a little about the artist and relaxing for an hour or so on our cruise.

We actually purchased a beautiful print during one of those "gimmicks" with PW. They had 5 or 6 turned around, but you were not obligated to buy all or any. You could just purchase the one you liked or nothing at all.

If you know your art and know what you are getting, its entirely possible to buy decent art at a reasonable price on board.

The issue with Park West, regardless of vendors, is that their people are trained in tactics which are designed to exploit those people who don't necessarily know what they are getting, plus other tactics designed to get people to impulse buy things they might not have otherwise. Jumping, distractions, blind buys, etc are all meant to cede the advantage to the seller.

Based on my observations, the former PFA reps had more respect for the buyer than the Park West ones. In reality, thats probably why they aren't there anymore, as disreputable as I find park west, their tactics work.

The issue with Park West, regardless of vendors, is that their people are trained in tactics which are designed to exploit those people who don't necessarily know what they are getting, plus other tactics designed to get people to impulse buy things they might not have otherwise. Jumping, distractions, blind buys, etc are all meant to cede the advantage to the seller.

Hi Folks

I think this quote puts the issue well.

regards

John

If you know your art and know what you are getting, its entirely possible to buy decent art at a reasonable price on board.

So basically we should ALL be thankful for Park West because of their sales tactics and deception, the costs of our cruises remain reasonable. So please feel free to buy art on your cruises. I thank you and the rest of us (should) thank you. :)

Park West also has a pretty poor reputation among my former framer colleagues. The main objection is their tactic of "pouring cheap wine down the punters throats then conning them into paying too much for rubbish".

They apparently create a lot of noise and hype and competition among bidders to move stock and, of course, you are in no position to compare the price of their offerings with those available ashore.

Personally, I would rather buy a piece of original, traditional, art or craftwork from a local artist during one of my shore visits than line the pockets of these salesmen.

I went to an art auction on my last Princess cruise just for fun - and it would have been great, IF they had actually held to their schedule and only had the auction go for an hour (after the obligatory first 15 minutes where they want people to walk around and look at available art). They dragged it out for almost 2 and a half hours, "loud and obnoxious" pretty much covers it.

We have purchased some lovely art work off Princess and other liners, we have some amazing Peter Max but have to agree with the dancing olives!!! Although my hubby liked it (I have since relegated it to his office!!) My fave is a Pino which is sitting proudly in my living room. No more though!!!

It's worth noting that PW's tactics are not exclusive to them, they are not uncommon in the auction industry at all and of course, different auctioneers will do it better or worse. The best can do all of the above and you have no idea its happening.

The difference is from all accounts, PFA took a far more 'professional' path. Unfortunately, given they are no more, I have to assume that path was not financially successful.

A friend in the business once told me there are only 2 types of auctions. Stuff people 'WANT' and stuff you have to make them want...

We have purchased some lovely art work off Princess and other liners, we have some amazing Peter Max but have to agree with the dancing olives!!! Although my hubby liked it (I have since relegated it to his office!!) My fave is a Pino which is sitting proudly in my living room. No more though!!!

LOL! Even the dancing olives could look right in your home Bar! :D

The difference is from all accounts, PFA took a far more 'professional' path. Unfortunately, given they are no more, I have to assume that path was not financially successful.

I would assume they were financially successful, but, like many other things in this world, Princess would rather outsource the art auctions and collect the fees/royaltries/whatever and not have to actually worry about managing the business.

I would never buy art on a cruise ship! I'd love to meet someone who is happy with their ParkWest purchase.

Come over and visit with us. Our house is full with art auction buys, over 30 works and we are pleased with them all. This was done years ago and maybe it was better then. Haven't been to an auction since.

Geez!

If you don't like the art auction or the "art", just keep on going! I love that people assume because some of us bought some pretty pictures, that we don't know what we're doing and we are all a bunch of lemmings!

Maybe we should all critique every purchase all the rest of the people make on board!

Chef's Table? UST? Cookbooks? Bingo? FCC? Shore Excursions? To each his own! We all choose what interests us....let's not be so condescending because someone else chooses to spend their money differently than you do!

Stepping off my soapbox!:p

Edited by suzyed