Bag Lunch, Crown Princess Alaska

cruisinpoler

Hi. I searched but was unable to find posts answering this question. We are taking an independent fishing tour in Ketchikan and need to take bag lunches from the ship. Will room service bring them to us or should we go to the international cafe and pack our own? will they give us bags/something else to carry them in? Thanks!

Jen

Hi. I searched but was unable to find posts answering this question. We are taking an independent fishing tour in Ketchikan and need to take bag lunches from the ship. Will room service bring them to us or should we go to the international cafe and pack our own? will they give us bags/something else to carry them in? Thanks!

Jen

In general, passengers are not allowed to take food off of the ships.

Jen

Stick with snacks that are in their original packaging (boxed cereals, wrapped granola bars, etc. would be okay), not food from the buffet because Alaska (and Canada) have strict rules on taking food off the ship. On our 2012 cruise this notice appeared in every Patter on port days and was mentioned in the the announcement over the PA at every port:

Agricultural Notice: The U.S. and Canadian Agricultural Departments remind you that heavy fines can be imposed for bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or diary products into our ports of call.

On the Disembarkation Sheet (for Whittier) the content was slightly different:

US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE RESTRICTIONS: It is illegal to take fruits, plants, meats or dairy ashore, on the spot fines will be enforced.

Jen

No food is allowed of the ship . Bagged lunches , fruit and even coffee isn't allowed off the ship. If you have per packaged food , you can take it with me. They don't even supply bags for making lunches.

Stick with snacks that are in their original packaging (boxed cereals, wrapped granola bars, etc. would be okay), not food from the buffet because Alaska (and Canada) have strict rules on taking food off the ship. On our 2012 cruise this notice appeared in every Patter on port days and was mentioned in the the announcement over the PA at every port:

Agricultural Notice: The U.S. and Canadian Agricultural Departments remind you that heavy fines can be imposed for bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or diary products into our ports of call.

US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE RESTRICTIONS: It is illegal to take fruits, plants, meats or dairy ashore, on the spot fines will be enforced.

This!

As one Californian to another, all Californians should know about the havoc introduced pests have on our ecosystem.

Stock with commercially prepared things-- cheese and crackers (the kids lunch ones), granola bars, boxed cereal. Eat a hearty breakfast beforehand.

How are you fishing? Catch and release or having the fish frozen and shipped home? The ship won't hold it for you.

Edited by SadieN

Hopefully you are American you cannot ship fish home from Alaska to Canada.

We found this out when we where on a princess fishing excursion. But we were able to have one of the salmon caught for supper prepared by the ship for supper. You also need to purchase fishing licences and have a special on for king salmon. The licences are sold on the fishing boat. Maybe the fishing boat could provide a bag lunch for a fee so you donot have to worry about taking food off the ship. Hope you have a great time.:)

Thanks for posting this. I copied and put it on the Ask a Question forum. There is a poster telling people it is ok to do. When it was mentioned it was illegal the poster said something like, "throw down the sandwich you are under arrest..... please!" I was happy to paste this so others know there is fact behind the comment about not taking food off the ship.

I don't think coffee counts.

Also, for those shipping their salmon home..... my DH and SIL went fishing they were having fun, and well they are guys with selective hearing, so they didn't pay attention to the cost of shipping that salmon home. Now that's a YIKE!

Edited by notentirelynormal

someone posted not even coffee.

So I couldn't get coffee or tea at the place next to IC and take it off with me in a paper to go cup if I didn't finish it?

Often I have seen them stop people with coffee before they scan them off the ship although in some ports they have allowed it off.

I don't get coffee right before getting off anymore.

Sent from my iPhone

Often I have seen them stop people with coffee before they scan them off the ship although in some ports they have allowed it off.

I don't get coffee right before getting off anymore.

Sent from my iPhone

Boo..good to know as I was planning on getting hot chocolate or tea before getting off when we do our Classic Canada cruise to keep me warm in the ports as I heard they were cold ports...guess not now. :(

someone posted not even coffee.

So I couldn't get coffee or tea at the place next to IC and take it off with me in a paper to go cup if I didn't finish it?

In Alaska they will not allow you to get off the ship with any beverage in a paper cup. This is a regulation of Alaska not the cruise line. There will be signage addressing this.

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

In Alaska they will not allow you to get off the ship with any beverage in a paper cup. This is a regulation of Alaska not the cruise line. There will be signage addressing this.

hmm ok well I might ask then for our Canada trip before I go and do it and then have to waste it.

Thanks for posting this. I copied and put it on the Ask a Question forum. There is a poster telling people it is ok to do. When it was mentioned it was illegal the poster said something like, "throw down the sandwich you are under arrest..... please!" I was happy to paste this so others know there is fact behind the comment about not taking food off the ship.

I don't think coffee counts.

Also, for those shipping their salmon home..... my DH and SIL went fishing they were having fun, and well they are guys with selective hearing, so they didn't pay attention to the cost of shipping that salmon home. Now that's a YIKE!

Coffee does count. My DW had to dump a full cup of coffee in an Alaskan port.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Anything that's baked like danish, rolls with peanut butter & jelly, donuts, banana bread, etc.

Not even these items are not allowed. It's from a source outside of Alaska. The same applies in Canada as well.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Edited by Kamloops50

Just select items from the buffet that don't violate the restrictions. There's plenty to pick from that will keep you till dinner.

Bring zip lock bags.

Miss Pat your very miss-taken and everything in the buffet is in violation of the law.... The law is there to protect not only you but the land you visit.

Please respect this restriction it is there for a very real reason...

Even with Princess excursions where they don't have time to stop at a restaurant or snack bar, they bring on sealed food on the bus. Had that experience some years ago on an excursion to Tulum from Cozumel. We all got bagged lunch with canned tuna, wrapped crackers and cookies and a water.

On my last stop in Cozumel I got off the ship with coffee in a paper cup, no problem