shampoo/conditioner/body lotion

FOLcruisers

We are doing an Alaskan cruise tour in a couple weeks, sailing on Grand Princess. How are the toiletries offered in the staterooms? Should I bring my own? Also, do they use the same products in the Princess Lodges on the land portion?

TIA

Some people like them some don't . Some feel they went to a cheaper product when Princess went to the wall mounted shampoo and soap. If you have fussy hair then you should bring your own.

Some people like them some don't . Some feel they went to a cheaper product when Princess went to the wall mounted shampoo and soap. If you have fussy hair then you should bring your own.

Agreed. We were on the Grand in April the wall mounted shampoo/conditioner was OK, it did the job. My DH didn't mind it, but I was happy I brought a travel size of a name brand.

The lotion I found to be of a decent quality, but it is very fragranced so if you have anyone with allergies probably best to bring your own.

We found the bars of soap nice. I even took a few home as souvenirs ;)

Edited by jamiski

I am not fussy about my hair, but the shampoo/conditioner isn't much of a conditioner. I bring my own in the little bottles that I get in hotels.

Also, the lotion is very nice. On our last cruise, DH told the steward how much he liked the lotion and 10 tubes magically appeared in our cabin. (The steward got a very nice tip

:D)

Edited by JF - retired RRT

We like the soap rounds and the lotion. I slipped our steward a $20 and he kept giving me several bars of soap and lotion a day. He even gave me a nice bag that the suites get and it was filled with all kinds of goodies. DH likes the lotion and uses it every day. We also use the soap rounds in our shower as well. Makes us feel like we're back on the ship. Almost have to book another cruise to get more soap and lotion. :D I bring my own shampoo and conditioner.

Agreed. We were on the Grand in April the wall mounted shampoo/conditioner was OK, it did the job. My DH didn't mind it, but I was happy I brought a travel size of a name brand.

The lotion I found to be of a decent quality, but it is very fragranced so if you have anyone with allergies probably best to bring your own.

We found the bars of soap nice. I even took a few home as souvenirs ;)

I will never understand why products have to be so incredibly smelly. I'm allergic to most fragrances. I can taste them in the air and most of them give me a headache. Some women seem to drench themselves in fragrance and it's always some cheap stuff that smells like Raid and leaves a cloud behind when they walk past.

Hopefully there won't be a ton of ladies covered in smelly lotion when I'm onboard.

As for the OP's question: I would recommend bringing a small container of shampoo and one of conditioner rather than trusting to the stuff in the bottles in the shower. It would be far better to be prepared and then even if the stuff Princess provides turns out to be satisfactory it won't be much of an inconvenience to have brought along a couple of small bottles.

They're okay for me but my wife always brings her own shampoo & conditioner. She did not like the previous ones either due to the eucalyptus scent which were also OK for me.

We like the lotion but for me the shampoo/conditioner are horrible. The first time we experienced it was on a cruise shortly after Princess made the change so we weren't forewarned. I had no problem with the old shampoo and conditioner; the new stuff left my hair like a rat's nest. I couldn't even get a hairbrush through it without being in great pain and, no doubt, pulling out/breaking my hair. Luckily my husband had brought his own conditioner (don't really know why since he doesn't have much hair, but I was grateful :D) and he gave it to me. Now I always bring my own shampoo and conditioner. We also don't like the bath gel (we're soap people :D) so we always ask for extra bars an have never had a problem getting them from the steward.

Edited by capriccio

I hate being trapped in an elevator or entertainment venue next to someone who has literally bathed in a perfume ... Or a man wearing too, too much cologne. Migraine city. I find it's not the cheap stuff that is so offensive, it's the very expensive perfumes.

I think a lot depends on how particular you are about your products. Using the provided items will get your hair and body clean, but... I am very particular about what I put on my skin and hair. I keep 3 oz. refillable bottles in my travel kit, with the products I prefer. The men in my family are less particular and use whatever is provided. My dad used Ivory soap to wash himself, head to toe, for years. He eventually blamed his baldness on it :)

"some feel"?! They absolutely have gone with a cheaper product. There is no such thing as high-end combination shampoo and conditioner. Probably buying it from the maritime-supply equivalent of Walmart.

The smell of the new wall mounted shampoo is kind of lousy. The Lotus Spa shampoo from before was nice, but this is either dollar store or budget bobs brand.

I think the new stuff basically has no scent compared to the old eucalyptus products. Which I really liked especially the lotion.

We've heard a lot of negative reports about the Princess shampoo and conditioner and have decided to bring some of our leftover products from our Disney cruises. We like the H20 products that they provide.

JMO but I've always thought the old eucalyptus stuff stripped and dulled my enhanced (!!!) hair. I noticed it especially on a longer TA cruise to the point that when we arrived in Gibraltar I bought some products from Marks & Sparks. Now I always bring my own shampoo & conditioner for colour-treated hair - don't trust the 2 in 1 stuff to do a proper job.

Edited by avcruz

I absolutely hated the shampoo/conditioner they had on the ship. It left my hair limp due to the amount of conditioner in the bottle. Good thing I took my own small bottles of shampoo and conditioner...no 2 in 1 for me. :cool:

My wife brought her own conditioner. We also had our own body wash but that is something we generally always do since the smell of the ship's body wash is always an unknown and when I have used it, dries out my skin after a fee days.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm another one who takes her own shampoo and conditioner. I have very fine hair which doesn't respond well to combined shampoo/conditioners anyway but I tried the Princess stuff one day just out of curiosity and it weighed down and flattened my hair completely.