Eidfjord

We will be in Eidfjord on a HAL Cruise May 16th.

All of our other ports we are doing on our own!!

I emailed the tourist office in Eidfjord for information and have not received a response.

Has anyone been there and have ideas for us?

I have looked at one HAL tour called Waterfalls and Waffles which goes up to the Hardanger Mountain Plateau with a stop at the Haine Mountain Lodge and then stops at the Sysen Dam before returning to Eidfjord. We are in port from 10 am to 6 pm and this tour is 4 hours so there would be time do spend in town.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Mary

Hardanger/Eidsfjord is one of my favorite places in Norway. I am sure you will have a memorable day there.

You didn't mention if your tour stops at Vøringfossen (Vøring waterfall)??

The waterfall is well worth a visit.

You should also not miss the old church dating back to 1309.

As for your tour I think it will be an interesting experience a it combines the rugged area of the mountain plateau witch is part of the national park and the beauty of Eidfjord.

Did you use this email address to contact the information office?

turistinfo@visiteidfjord.no

Here is a link to some brochures. I hope they can be of some help:)

http://www.hardangerfjord.com/en/Eidfjord/Brochures1/

http://www.hardangerfjord.com/en/Eidfjord/Product/?TLp=449090&Voringsfossen-Mabodalen=

Edited by I-Cruiser

We are in Eidfjord in July and wanted to do an independent tour. I contacted flat earth (they supply the kayak tours for HAL). We were able to arrange an independent tour with them, but they can't do the same tour as that contracted with HAL.

Only issue is that Eidfjord port has our times in port as 9-3, even though all our paperwork and the HAL site says the time in port is 10-6. That is unfortunate because flat earth has some amazing longer tours that won't fit into a 9-3 schedule. In any case, they are easy to find on the web and were very responsive!

Keep us posted on what you decide to do in Eidfjord!

Thank you I-cruiser and Snowmom.

I will check out your sites and let you know what we decide. I know that the weather in May in Norway may hamper what we are able to do but we will be prepared. We live in the Pacific NW and are used to cool springs and will dress accordingly. :D

We really appreciate your help.

Mary

I emailed the tourist information center in Eidfjord and they responded very quickly. They send me the same brochure that you had sent, I-Cruiser and I think we will take their mini-bus tour to the waterfalls, do the Troll Train and walk around time permitting.

It is a little early in the year for the other tours that you mentioned Snowmom. Chances are we may still have snow!!

Thank you for your help. So looking forward to this cruise. Will try to post when we return.

Mary

You can do Eidford on your own if you wish. There is a tiny train that will take you around the town and the immediate hills/mountains. There are marked, recommended walks through and around the village which many people do from the ship. There are very easy walks immediately in front of the ship, over the bridge and the river below. There is also a beautiful hotelalso in front of where the ship docks which does delicious coffee and pastries. It's a lovely place and quite small. It's one of our favourite fjord stops

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

We are going to do back to back itineraries in Norway, which will offer us 2 days in some ports, Eidfjord being one of them. We have booked a trip with tide reiser for one of the days that visits the Nature Center and Voringsfossen. I am thinking on the other day, I'd really like us to see the Sima Power plant, and Kjeåsen Mountain Farm. We don't plan to rent a car. Are there suggestions on getting there? We are runners and could maybe hike to the farm, but want to have time to just enjoy the town also. I read it's 2 hours one way. I just can't seem to find a tour going to the two places.

• 9 months later...
We are going to do back to back itineraries in Norway, which will offer us 2 days in some ports, Eidfjord being one of them. We have booked a trip with tide reiser for one of the days that visits the Nature Center and Voringsfossen. I am thinking on the other day, I'd really like us to see the Sima Power plant, and Kjeåsen Mountain Farm. We don't plan to rent a car. Are there suggestions on getting there? We are runners and could maybe hike to the farm, but want to have time to just enjoy the town also. I read it's 2 hours one way. I just can't seem to find a tour going to the two places.

How were you able to get back & firth from the Cruise Port to the Sima Power Plant?