Upcharge breakfast; is it coming?

LMaxwell

This recent chatter about new charges (drink mixers when ordering a cocktail, room service delivery fee, $10 Alfredo's) it has me wondering if upcharge breakfast is on the way?

Often on cruise ships despite the variety offered at breakfast I seldom find the quality to be as high as lunches and dinners. Food seems to be more of the frozen and fried up variety, with lots of oil/grease and salt. To me breakfasts on cruise ships are weak. This actually presents an opportunity to introduce specialty dining for breakfast, for real made to order food distinct and better than the MDR or buffet. A place to get steak and eggs, thick cuts of specially prepared bacon, different smoked fishes, maybe they offer a complimentary mimosa.

As odious as I find a room service delivery fee, I think this is different. Room service doesn't offer a different product than it did before, now they just charge. A paid for breakfast separate from MDR could offer those willing to pay for higher quality offerings a chance to have that at ALL meals of the day, regardless of cabin category booked.

If you don't want it, it's totally optional. You can still have made to order eggs or pancakes, etc in MDR, and all the choices of the buffet are available. This is something that is actually an additional service, while being additional revenue, not just charging for something you got before.

Say the charge was $10pp; would anyone take them up on it?

Nope. If I want made-to-order eggs, I can get that in the buffet. I'm perfectly happy with fruit, cottage cheese, English muffins and maybe an egg for breakfast. To me, that's a really good breakfast. :) If I want eggs Benedict, I can go to the dining room. There's plenty of food available throughout the day.

If you want what you're suggesting, book a full suite.

If you want what you're suggesting, book a full suite.

What I am suggesting is an upscale breakfast open to any class of cabin as long as the guest is willing to pay. To be honest, I *would* be willing to pay for specialty breakfast provided it is a higher quality option than offered in MDR or buffet. If it's the same food in a different place, there is no value.

While I would gladly part with some extra money to have better breakfast, and not at the cost to those not interested, I am not likely to ever book a full suite. If the primary goal is better breakfast (which is a pretty odd and narrowly defined goal I admit) paying multiple times more for a suite would not be cost effective.

I think I may have identified an area for positive revenue gain without the offputting stench of the formerly free but now for a charge changes being implemented, with the positive spin of offering a new option for guests which should reduce crowd size in all other public areas too.

I'm perfectly happy with breakfast in the MDR when I'm in the mood for a "fancy" breakfast and the buffet when I want a large variety or something quick. (or the IC) I wouldn't pay an upcharge for an alternative dining breakfast, personally, and I consider myself a real breakfast person. I think the current offerings are ample.

Sorry but no. My everyday non-cruise breakfast usually consists of low-fat cottage cheese on a whole wheat english muffin with a cup of weak tea that I make myself and then clean up afterward. Or if I'm really feeling ambitious - scrambled egg whites. Anything currently at the buffet or in the MDR is more than fine for me!

Sabatinis used to do a brunch. Lots of great seafood and sushi on a cold buffet, followed by hot dishes and accompanied by champagne and mimosas. Of course now it is used as the venue for suite passengers.

What I have found, personally, is I am unwilling to pay small / nominal charges for low quality items, but will pay a surcharge for quality items. It seems the opposition here is mainly that people are content with current offerings, so would not choose this option, but people don't find it as offensive as charges for what used to be free; this is a new option that doesn't take away any standard options.

I'd probably never pay $3 service fee for room service, but would pay $10pp for steak and eggs. It's all about where we find value. And since I am likely to not ever book a suite this is untapped revenue, I am sure suites make up a small percentage of any ship.

I find this selfish of myself to ask but Princess has not changed the breakfast menu since I started sailing with them.

I wish they would add basic things like French Toast and Waffles to the menu. Maybe even have blueberry pancakes every day and not a speciality item.

It can't be that difficult.

I am not a buffet person. I hate to fight crowds on my vacation - I prefer to be served.

Edited by Coral

This recent chatter about new charges (drink mixers when ordering a cocktail, room service delivery fee, $10 Alfredo's) it has me wondering if upcharge breakfast is on the way?

Often on cruise ships despite the variety offered at breakfast I seldom find the quality to be as high as lunches and dinners. Food seems to be more of the frozen and fried up variety, with lots of oil/grease and salt. To me breakfasts on cruise ships are weak. This actually presents an opportunity to introduce specialty dining for breakfast, for real made to order food distinct and better than the MDR or buffet. A place to get steak and eggs, thick cuts of specially prepared bacon, different smoked fishes, maybe they offer a complimentary mimosa.

As odious as I find a room service delivery fee, I think this is different. Room service doesn't offer a different product than it did before, now they just charge. A paid for breakfast separate from MDR could offer those willing to pay for higher quality offerings a chance to have that at ALL meals of the day, regardless of cabin category booked.

If you don't want it, it's totally optional. You can still have made to order eggs or pancakes, etc in MDR, and all the choices of the buffet are available. This is something that is actually an additional service, while being additional revenue, not just charging for something you got before.

Say the charge was $10pp; would anyone take them up on it?

I think we would. I have to admit that the breakfast on Oceania and Windstar were awesome. You could even get lamb chops for breakfast on Oceania.

I love soft poached eggs and Windstar had a menu offering about 5 different variations (and I tried them all - some with avocados, some with chorizo...). Combine that with sitting outside with the sails above you... awesome.

That is the one thing I did not see in the buffet was French toast. I am not a pancake person. I did not eat in theMDR for breakfast. Do they have it in the MDR? And I would not pay for upgrade for breakfast. I don't eat much.

That is the one thing I did not see in the buffet was French toast. I am not a pancake person. I did not eat in theMDR for breakfast. Do they have it in the MDR? And I would not pay for upgrade for breakfast. I don't eat much.

Regular french toast is often in the buffet. Their James Beard french toast (fried with breadcrumbs) is often offered on the last day. I never eat it as it is too greasy to eat and then fly home with.

And this is why we are already paying for coffee at the IC...people complained and said they wanted premium coffee...you can have it, but pay for it.

People complained they wanted better steaks...now you can have it at the Crown Grill for a price.

People complained they wanted fresh pasta and Italian dishes...you can have it if you pay for it at Sabatini's.

More seafood options...eat at the Crab Shack for a fee.

The pizza from the Prego's out on deck wasn't enough... and now you can start to pay for it at Alfredo's.

Am I now going to start paying for upscale breakfast?

No, sorry, but where does this end?

As stated earlier, if you want an upscale breakfast, book a suite.

Nothing personal but I totally disagree with your suggestion. Have I eaten at these venues? Yes, I have except Alfredo's. I only occasionally eat pizza so Prego's is fine with me. The more we complain about things, the more we will begin to pay for it. But somehow I suspect that Princess will read this and it will eventually be implemented.

I have over 25 cruises with Princess, am still loyal to them, but deeply disappointed in how they handled these new fees on the Regal and soon to be across the fleet. Let's stop giving them suggestions...

I love the MDR breakfasts. Even cold cereal and an english muffin are great. The Pancakes are wonderful. My wife loves the oatmeal and the fruit.

It is all good!

I disagree. The last cruise we took (last Nov), we walked out of the MDR during breakfast. We sat there for 15 minutes and only got water and menus. Way too slow! We couldn't even get coffee! That cruise had nine sea days and they should have been properly staffed and were not.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

And this is why we are already paying for coffee at the IC...people complained and said they wanted premium coffee...you can have it, but pay for it.

People complained they wanted better steaks...now you can have it at the Crown Grill for a price.

People complained they wanted fresh pasta and Italian dishes...you can have it if you pay for it at Sabatini's.

More seafood options...eat at the Crab Shack for a fee.

The pizza from the Prego's out on deck wasn't enough... and now you can start to pay for it at Alfredo's.

Am I now going to start paying for upscale breakfast?

No, sorry, but where does this end?

As stated earlier, if you want an upscale breakfast, book a suite.

Nothing personal but I totally disagree with your suggestion. Have I eaten at these venues? Yes, I have except Alfredo's. I only occasionally eat pizza so Prego's is fine with me. The more we complain about things, the more we will begin to pay for it. But somehow I suspect that Princess will read this and it will eventually be implemented.

I have over 25 cruises with Princess, am still loyal to them, but deeply disappointed in how they handled these new fees on the Regal and soon to be across the fleet. Let's stop giving them suggestions...

When I first started sailing Princess, fresh brewed coffee was free at the Patissere. I think fancy coffees were free in the dining room (maybe I am thinking of HAL but think it was free on Princess also).

The Sun class ships had a free Pizzeria which was pretty darn good (better than Alfredos IMO).

There used to be a free seafood buffet on the Caribbean Princess and maybe some of the Crown class ships.

Sterling steakhouse had a $6 cover. Far different than the charge now -Steaks were better then also. The TexMex was like a minimal charge also. Don't remember Sabitinis but the price was much lower than now.

Fresh pasta dishes were prepared in the dining room (included with the meal) most nights.

Edited by Coral

See my post in purple to the reply.

When I first started sailing Princess, fresh brewed coffee was free at the Patissere. I think fancy coffees were free in the dining room (maybe I am thinking of HAL but think it was free on Princess also).

Agree

The Sun class ships had a free Pizzeria which was pretty darn good (better than Alfredos IMO).

Agree

There used to be a free seafood buffet on the Caribbean Princess and maybe some of the Crown class ships.

Sterling steakhouse had a $6 cover. Far different than the charge now -Steaks were better then also. The TexMex was like a minimal charge also. Don't remember Sabitinis but the price was much lower than now.

Agree

Fresh pasta dishes were prepared in the dining room (included with the meal) most nights.

I remember the smell of garlic in the MDR while walking in... and the pasta was awesome when served this way. ;)

We are celebrating our 15th anniversary in a couple of weeks. I fondly remember the tableside pasta preparation on the Grand Princess on our honeymoon! I had it every night! Of course, that was when they had a pasta course every night.

That being said, we love the crepe restaurant on Celebrity's solstice-class ships, which is a $5 pp charge and has wonderful breakfast, savory and dessert crepes. Disney also has a very successful brunch at Palo on sea days. It is so popular that it is nearly impossible to book it unless you are in a suite/concierge or are high level in the past passenger ranks.

So yes, I think something similar on Princess would sell.