Foodie Questions

friendlyfifer

I love desserts. What fabulous desserts appear on Silversea menus? Also what special requests have you made of the chef and were your requests met? I'm on the Muse later this year and so looking forward to the new dining format.

mdpa: This should be able interesting thread. Even better if you have pictures!

Great to know that you are smart and savvy in loving good desserts. Excellent suggestion to have some visuals!! From our Silver Cloud cruise last year' date=' below are just six visuals to provide a little sampling for a little of what we enjoyed. We also did just two years ago an Amazon River/Caribbean sailing on the Silver Cloud. Here is the link to the many food and dessert postings from that much longer adventure:

[b']http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696[/b]

If you have any dessert requests, dreams, special ideas, etc., just ask the day before of the dining room staff and they can most likely satisfy your request the next evening and/or later in the cruise.

Need more low-cal visual samples?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 29,355 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From the Italian-styled La Terrazza, here are a couple of the low-calorie sampling of their desserst. To be clear, the pictures have no calories. The real things, just a few more calories to walk off the next day. This second dessert satisfied some of my love for coconut.:

Africa2016PixsA36_zpsmezcfcjx.jpg

Africa2016PixsA50_zpsprpprxj6.jpg

From the Main Dining Room, here was a nice, moist cake, etc., that I enjoyed that evening as my dessert.:

Africa2016PixsA5_zps38275ahn.jpg

In the MDR when having dinner with Cruise Director Allan King, here is how they served the wonderfully traditional Italian dessert, Tiramisu, with a unique design touch. Excellent!:

Africa2016PixsA7_zps0uc87vw1.jpg

Dessert on the final night of our South African sailing? First is my rum treat!! So super good!! Second, also enjoyed at our table by my wife was this chocolate treat with these unique design/style touches.:

Africa2016PixsA5_zpsvtb2ooxn.jpg

Africa2016PixsA6_zpsiepw5hnn.jpg

TLCOhio, Very nice pictures...I will need to print some of these out and just point to them when I get hungry :D

Appreciate your kind follow-up. Yes, looking at picture might lessen the calorie count, but I am not sure that it will satisfy your hunger! Try these added five visuals below.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 208,517 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some more visuals of Silversea dessert delights! These are some from our early 2015 Silver Cloud sailing along the Amazon River, etc. Look good? Third was a special design for when on the ship during Valentine's Day on Feb. 14. Cool design style!:

DecTravel2016A%20023_zpsijbabmtc.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20022_zpsudb3xzqv.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20026_zps6s91nfft.jpg

For evening dining at their outdoor Grill area, here is a special cherry pie treat.:

DecTravel2016A%20025_zpsebkjq9z7.jpg

Finally, from Le Champagne, here is how they poured the sauce for this special Grand Marnier soufflé.:

DecTravel2016A%20024_zpsz3csswjj.jpg

I know food is a very personal thing and also, to a degree, that taste is informed by what one is accustomed to. Bearing that in mind there are some aspects of SS's desserts that we find not to our taste.

Firstly, it seems that in any sweet with cream, that cream is sweetened and whipped. So if you have a European taste for single-, double- or unsweetened whipped-cream you will be out of luck. I know it's a small point but sweetened whipped cream (like a Chantilly) really puts us off. They do have proper clotted cream - albeit not as unctuous as a Devon clotted cream - at afternoon tea so if we were really that bothered I guess we could ask for that with dessert.

The next thing is the fat used in baking sponges etc. In the UK we tend to use butter whereas in the USA a form of vegetable fat is common. This, to us, gives a slimier texture and slightly greasy finish to sponge desserts.

Lastly, what's with all the strawberries? Because I can't eat strawberries I've become acutely aware that most desserts seem to have a strawberry component whether it be a coulis, mousse or just the fruit. Now, they will quite happily make sure I don't get anything with strawberry in (anaphylactic expiry really isn't good for their reputation!) but there are plenty of other fruits. (Incidentally, I also have a bit of an issue avoiding strawberry in the USA - is the flavour very popular there, I wonder?)

Having said all that, I think we can see from Terry's photos that the desserts can be very imaginative and there is certainly no lack of choice. But I like being super-critical given the opportunity.;)

Terry, many thanks for the lovely photographs. Dessert is the best part of the meal for me and I'm sure we will see a few special ones on the new Muse.

Tampaskier: The strawberry flavor and the strawberry fruit is VERY popular in the USA.....sorry to say in your case

Appreciate the nice comments on the pictures. Usually in the MDR' date=' there are [b']three different dessert options[/b]. This includes at least one being a chocolate treat. My wife likes the chocolate items. Not me. I had to "suffer" along with just the other options. Remember to ask that night or the day before, if you have other ideas, wishes, etc. Don't be shy!!

Yes, for Tampaskier, there is lots of uses for strawberries in giving desserts a nice "look". Maybe it's not everyone's favorite, but it is easy to remove that item. Personally, I like strawberries. I can tell my wife that the dessert is "healthy" and that I am eating the fruit for good nutritional purposes. Maybe? She knows better, but it sounds good.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 47,793 views for these postings.

From July 2010 on the Silver Cloud off of the Norway coast when they still did such buffets, here was a smaller sampling of the dessert treats. Loved these buffets on the ship.:

DecTravel2016A%20038_zps8uencdwm.jpg