looking at SS after years of Celebrity

herbanrenewal

I booked Silver Galapagos recently because the early discounts, all inclusive cruise was better priced than Celebrity. Over the year Celebrity has downgraded quite a bit, so I have been considering changing lines.

I searched this thread to see if I could find what people really like/love about SS. I couldn't find a thread on the topic. Also curious to know what the butler does? Is it just a glorified name for room attendant? or are there other services?

What makes SS Special enough to justify higher fees?

Thanks for your input!

kath

You will enjoy your trip to the Galapagos. Silversea has side trips to other parks in Peru you may want to look into. Butler's on this ship are limited in there duties but just go and experience their services. I personally like Silversea butler service over Seabourns room attendant. Go with no exceptions and see if you like it.

Next week I will experience my first Silversea cruise after being a pretty loyal Celebrity cruiser. I agree with Celebrity beginning the downslide of services and up-charging. I will be happy to report back after my cruise to share my experience. It won't quite be the same, since I will not be on an Expedition cruise, but I can definitely fill in some of the curiosity.

Happy Cruising!

• 2 weeks later...

Another longtime Celebrity cruiser here who is also trying Silverseas for the first time. I am sailing on the Spirit in

August from Barcelona to Rome:).....never thought I would be able try them but circumstances have given me this

chance and I am taking it:D....looking forward to trying this :ship:!

While we came to Silversea after 17 years of being Holland America "loyalists" it sounds like we were tempted to try a different cruise line for many of the same reasons. Funny thing was that six years ago we were researching a Med cruise and actually started with Holland America as our typical go-to cruise line but weren't opposed to other options. I won't go into the details but circumstances all came together and we took our first Silversea's cruise. I can't or won't guarantee you all will be converts like us but at this point I can't see us going back to Holland America or any of the large ship lines any time soon.