Second thoughts on visiting Russia

BettyPC

I have wanted to visit St. Petersburg for a while and 2018 seems like it would work for us. We are booked on a Celebrity cruise which features 2 nights in S.P.

With all that is happening with the US & Russia I am thinking this might not be the time to commit. Has anyone else had these thoughts?

I think that most of the people we meet on the street in St Petersberg couldn't care less about what their/our leaders are doing and saying.

The Europeans might not like the British for leaving the EU, there will probably be more 'terrorist' attacks before I go to Europe and St Petersberg in May/June.

I wouldn't wave an American/British/Australian flag or discuss politics (with anyone) but I am not concerned about the general safety.

If I have any concerns, it is during national government elections. You are more likely to come across rowdy protest which could get out of hand.

Jim

Several years ago, we were considering whether to do a Black Sea Cruise in 2013 or 2014. We finally decided there was no reason to wait and we sailed in 2013. Thank goodness we did because, due to political events, stops in Istanbul and Odessa were eliminated in 2014.

You never know what is going to happen, either worldwide or in your personal life. Go to SPB now. (We were there in 2015 and lived it!)

I would book. Even when we went to SPB four years ago there were concerns about tensions. We really enjoyed our visit, right down to the teens who ran along our canal boat to wave at us from each bridge (and were rewarded when they met us at the end, hats extended);).

There were similar concerns prior to our Baltic cruise in 2014, with the issues in the Ukraine. We were also traveling with our (then) 3.5 year old son, so we went back and forth on whether or not it was insane to bring a child that young to the Baltics. About a month prior to the sailing, we finally decided to go for it, and booked our cruise. The advantages of booking last minute are that you have a better handle on the political situation, but there are no guarantees since trouble can pop up at any time. We were unable to book a suite, since all of the quiet ones were taken. I'd recommend booking no later than 5 weeks out, since airfare tends to jump within a month. The third thing we booked after the cruise and airfare was our private tour in St. Petersburg, and there was a lot of availability left (and thankfully still time to process our visa). In 2014 possibly due to concerns over the political situation, there was a lot of availability on all of the cruises that summer, but by booking late you are taking the risk that there will be very little availability/prices may be very high/you can't get the room that you want. But if you are honestly scared and aren't comfortable booking now, keeping an eye on last minute cruises might be something to consider. Just contact the St. Petersburg tour companies prior to booking to ensure that you will be able to leave the ship.

It was an amazing trip, and everyone - including our son- really loved it!

Last year we visited kasadusi turkey on the Oosterdam. Several ships had stopped because of terrorism there. If it isn't safe ships won't stop there. Some even pulled in port and didn't let people off. If you are going to be afraid to travel or let politics get in the way then you should stay close to home. We found the people in turkey to be very friendly and warm. Terrorism is not going away and might even get worse but can't let them win and if you don't visit a country cause you don't like a leader, just think how tourism in the USA would suffer cause almost all counties hate Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went last year because we figured we'd get in while we could. I don't see the political situation getting better anytime in the near future. Visas/visa-free tours might become more difficult to obtain. (And Putin could always decide to get grabby with the Baltic states -- like Estonia -- as with the Ukraine, especially if NATO and the EU weaken.)

I'd go while it's still an option. St. Petersburg was amazing.

We went last year because we figured we'd get in while we could. I don't see the political situation getting better anytime in the near future. Visas/visa-free tours might become more difficult to obtain. (And Putin could always decide to get grabby with the Baltic states -- like Estonia -- as with the Ukraine, especially if NATO and the EU weaken.)

I'd go while it's still an option. St. Petersburg was amazing.

While I have wanted to see the Baltics for awhile. This is exactly why we are going now. Like GradUT, we also went to the Black Sea a number of years ago. I'm so glad we had the opportunity to see the Crimea while we could.

GO!

This comes up every year about this time as people plan their summer cruises to the Baltic, or other possible trouble spots.

In the case of Russia, they need our currency- one (of many) reason the Russian private tours so readily accept our currency. With the sanctions in place, this is very important to the St Petersburg economy. I don't see anything happening, short of war, to threaten that.

We are headed to Russia and the Baltics this fall. We decided we wanted to see the Baltic area in the event the area becomes more closed, for whatever reason. Having lived around the world with my work, I am not concerned about traveling here. Of course, listen to the latest reports and news, and do take out travel insurance. You will see a lot of other tourists. I have always found no matter where I have traveled, people are helpful and are willing to share their country. If you are with a tour company or cruise line, they will also give good advice and will cancel the trip in the event of anything happening. Take each day, enjoy, blend in. I always carry with me contact information of the US Embassy or Consulate if I am not on a tour, just in case there are problems. Enjoy your trip!

One bit of advice I'd pass along - when I called Chase to inform them that I'd be traveling so they didn't flag my credit card charges as fraudulent, they told me that they recommended bringing rubles to Russia because if the political situation deteriorated, they might not be able to process transactions in Russia, or credit cards might not be accepted. It might be a nice backup plan to ensure you have currency for Russia. We also had some American dollars in case of emergencies.

Please please Europe St Petersburg are perfectly safe, you are less likely to be shot, mugged attacked than you are in the USA, just look up the statistics. Like anywhere you don't put yourself at risk by going alone into seedy areas and flashing money and expensive jewellery about. Local tour companies are good much better value than cruise line tours, just play with google and look up reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went on a Baltic cruise to Russia in 2014. At that time, we were concerned about Russia being cancelled. We had no issues while there and they seemed similar to us. One person on our cruise seemed intent on getting the tour guide to express remorse for Putin and his policies and that was unfair to the tour guide. I would not be as afraid of Russia as I am about other places in Europe. We were in Turkey in 2015 which we enjoyed but would not go now. We are doing a Norway cruise out of Germany. We do feel concern about Germany. I think more terror attacks are probable. Most Russians are happy you are there. They are dependent on tourism

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in St Petersburg in August (our 2nd visit) and everything was wonderful. We live in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in the winter (am there now) and everything is as it should be...which is to say perfect.. A few weeks ago we were in Guadalajara and actually saw a pretty large demonstration. And guess what? It had nothing too do with the USA or politics...but were simply the local taxi drivers demonstrating about higher gasoline prices (throughout Mexico). We read (and watch TV) about all the anti-USA demonstrations in Mexico,...but since we live here (part of the year) we must admit to being puzzled. Since arriving in early January we have not heard a single word about the political stuff...other then a local restaurant which had a sign saying they were the "best restaurant South of the wall" :D

What you see in the media, in most cases, does not reflect reality when it comes to tourism and dealing with real people. Yes, there are tensions between Russia and the USA...but this has not really impacted what you will see in St Petersburg. There are places in the world that we have visited (such as Egypt and Tunesia) that we would now avoid due to security issues. But Russia is not in that category.

Hank

Most Russians [that you will encounter on a tour during a port call] are happy you are there. They are dependent on tourism.
Minor correction there. ;) As a major shipping and manufacturing center, most residents of St.Petersburg are not at all dependent on tourism.

To answer the original question, it's hard to predict the political situation over a year in advance, but if things do turn sour, I suspect that a missed cruise port call will not be the biggest issue. Safety in port is not really the question, because most cruiselines will change the itinerary if any kind of serious risk comes up. I have been on Mediterranean sailings that have had itinerary adjustments due to altered political climates.

Honestly, if you want to go to St.Petersburg, I'd go while you have the chance. I missed the boat (pun intended) on booking a Black Sea cruise and am now waiting out the situation in Crimea.

As an American, if you do make the trip and call at St.Petersburg, just remember to leave all of your oil & gas tools and information on the ship, so that you don't risk violating the sanctions. ;)

To answer the original question, it's hard to predict the political situation over a year in advance, but if things do turn sour, I suspect that a missed cruise port call will not be the biggest issue. Safety in port is not really the question, because most cruiselines will change the itinerary if any kind of serious risk comes up. I have been on Mediterranean sailings that have had itinerary adjustments due to altered political climates.

Honestly, if you want to go to St.Petersburg, I'd go while you have the chance. I missed the boat (pun intended) on booking a Black Sea cruise and am now waiting out the situation in Crimea.

As an American, if you do make the trip and call at St.Petersburg, just remember to leave all of your oil & gas tools and information on the ship, so that you don't risk violating the sanctions. ;)

We are going to St. Petersburg this summer and I agree that if situations change the cruise lines will make the call to change the itinerary. We were in Turkey a few years ago and saw Ancient Ephasus and it was the favorite stop of our whole family. Now the cruise lines are no longer stopping there. I agree - go while you can.

One bit of advice I'd pass along - when I called Chase to inform them that I'd be traveling so they didn't flag my credit card charges as fraudulent, they told me that they recommended bringing rubles to Russia because if the political situation deteriorated, they might not be able to process transactions in Russia, or credit cards might not be accepted. It might be a nice backup plan to ensure you have currency for Russia. We also had some American dollars in case of emergencies.

We were there in Sept and most places accept US credit cards, dollars, and euros. There is no need to get any Russian currency. Just let your CC know where you will be traveling too.

Go. If the political situation becomes difficult, the cruise line will change the itinerary. Personally, I visited SPB three years ago, and it failed to meet admittedly high expectations. There are great sites, but I found the city depressing. But from a personal safety standpoint, I would have no problems returning on a cruise.

And I would have no problem traveling to Europe, especially to countries like Germany and France. The rare terrorist attack is a possibility anywhere in the world, including the USA.

• 3 months later...
While I have wanted to see the Baltics for awhile. This is exactly why we are going now. Like GradUT, we also went to the Black Sea a number of years ago. I'm so glad we had the opportunity to see the Crimea while we could.

GO!

Back in 2010 we did 24 days (2 B2B cruises). So glad we did - several days in Istanbul, private tour in Yalta, Sevastopol & Ephesus. Now all that is off limits. We are doing the Baltic & SPB in 2018 on HAL.