Is a 3 night cruise worth it?

ilikecake

I'm well aware that what is worth it to some people is not worth it to others. I guess I'm looking for input.

Dd is graduating from college in December. She will probably go to grad school the following fall. The original plan was that she would graduate in the spring and we might take a Disney cruise in May. But since she's graduating in December, she'll probably be working in May. Hubby might have a harder time getting off work in May, but he already has vacation time scheduled from Christmas eve until January 4th. I personally like the idea of driving 13 hours to see his parents on the 24th, saying "Merry Christmas" and driving 13 hours Christmas night and heading out on a 7 night cruise on the 26th. Or, flying in and flying out the next day. Nobody else likes those ideas. So, the other option is heading out from Miami on December 31 for only 3 nights. Miami is just under a 4 hour drive from our house so it's not horrible but not great, either.

Or, we could just drive somewhere and not worry about a cruise.

Also, this is my first Christmas without my parents AND my birthday is 12-31. I'm not looking forward to this Christmas at all and a vacation would be nice.

My personal opinion is that a 3 night cruise is not "worth it." It is the same amount of money and effort for me to get to the port for a 3 night cruise as it is for a longer one. The only difference (if driving) is parking cost while cruising. My airfare and transportation from airport to cruise terminal is essentially the same. In addition, I have a handicapped family member which in some ways means more effort for me.

A 3 night cruise is 2 1/2 days. You have no sea day and your port is Nassau on most cruises. Nassau is probably my least favorite port in the Caribbean.

I've done a 3 night DCL cruise twice. One was a 4/3 back to back because we couldn't get to Port Canaveral in time for a 7 night cruise. The other was a $99 bounceback offer that we combined with a WDW trip. In those situations, a 3 night was better than no cruise. But really, there are so many negatives to the short cruise. Everything feels rushed as the crew tries to get in all the most popular activities in limited time. Frankly, in our experience, there is a difference in the type of guests on the 3 night--lots of entitlement parents who feel that they are on vacation too and parenting stopped at the gangway...which results in lots of tweens running wild. They are seemingly illiterate as well as these cruises were the worst I've seen as far as kids in "adult only" areas and parents totally ignoring the signs. Yes, we've had kids in adult areas on 7 and 14 night cruises, but not to this degree.

3 night vs 7 night? I'd do 7 in a heartbeat. Do you have to do Christmas with the family 13 hours away? Can you visit his parents another time?

Do realize that cruising over the Christmas season puts you in the high season for rates and number of kids on board. But since he already has the vacation time, I'd guess that is set in stone. If not...cruising earlier in December will cost less and be every bit as much fun. But of course, you need to look at the graduation date and whether the off work time can be moved in order to make that work.

Yeah, I'd be that person who would skip the visit with the grandparents and do the 7 night cruise...but others will disagree.

My initial response is no..... but I remember taking a 3 day reposition from Vancouver to San Francisco.... so I guess my answer is yes? Good idea for a new cruiser who wants to try something different. Just be aware for shorter cruises.... you may only be getting the highlights of a regular 7 day trip rather than the full experience.

Perhaps the question is the itinery... on where you are going (ie the ports) and how you are complimenting the cruise experience. Is there a balance of sea days with new port experiences, as well was what's offered in the ports.

Edited by xlxo

We also enjoyed our 3-day repo Van-SF, but I think that would be a VERY different experience compared to a 3-day RT over the festive period - whether it's Disney and packed to the gunwales with sproglets or a booze cruise on the more cheap & cheerful lines.

There's no way I'd consider a short cruise that involved significant travel time or expense, but even 1-nighters are enjoyable when you leave or arrive from your home city on a weekday - overnight Sunday arriving Monday and straight to work makes for a nice half-empty vessel so it's ideal to pootle around and check out all the nooks & crannies aboard a ship you've never sailed on.

It's not a huge drive to any of the Florida ports, probably because we're used to the 13 hour drives to see family. Driving to Miami is a relaxing change of scenery.

Dh won't consider not seeing his parents at Christmas because they're old and he didn't see them last year (new job, so the kids and I made a trip the week before).

I might see if he'd be willing to cut the family trip a little short and go on the 4 night that leaves the 27th. We wouldn't be at sea on my birthday but that could be a good thing.

If a 3 night cruise is your only option, then it is what it is. Honestly, I have to say I wouldn't do anything less than 4 nights unless perhaps combined with something else like a parks trip.

The only thing I find the 3 days good for is when they did cruises to nowhere on new ships, so you had time to check them out.

We like 3 day cruisers. We use them for weekend getaways on RCCL and DCL at least once a year in-between the 7-11 day cruises. It gives us a weekend getaway without me having to take vacation time.

I just booked a 3 day DCL cruise last week to give me a port visit to their island. Although, my driving time is only 1.5 hours to Port Canaveral. Leaves Friday stopping at their private island, which I truly love going to (Castaway Cay), and Nassau which is not bad either for moi.

Edited by FireEater

We like 3 day cruisers. We use them for weekend getaways on RCCL and DCL at least once a year in-between the 7-11 day cruises. It gives us a weekend getaway without me having to take vacation time.

I just booked a 3 day DCL cruise last week to give me a port visit to their island. Although, my driving time is only 1.5 hours to Port Canaveral. Leaves Friday stopping at their private island, which I truly love going to (Castaway Cay), and Nassau which is not bad either for moi.

I'm also about 1.5 hours from Port Canaveral.

I'm going to play the "This could be our last family vacation, it might even be our last Christmas with both kids at home" card one more time and try to get dh to agree to the 7 day cruise. Otherwise, I think we're going to go for the 3 night.

I'm also about 1.5 hours from Port Canaveral.

I'm going to play the "This could be our last family vacation, it might even be our last Christmas with both kids at home" card one more time and try to get dh to agree to the 7 day cruise. Otherwise, I think we're going to go for the 3 night.

Because you live so close, go for it and have a great time! :D

I'm well aware that what is worth it to some people is not worth it to others. I guess I'm looking for input.

Dd is graduating from college in December. She will probably go to grad school the following fall. The original plan was that she would graduate in the spring and we might take a Disney cruise in May. But since she's graduating in December, she'll probably be working in May. Hubby might have a harder time getting off work in May, but he already has vacation time scheduled from Christmas eve until January 4th. I personally like the idea of driving 13 hours to see his parents on the 24th, saying "Merry Christmas" and driving 13 hours Christmas night and heading out on a 7 night cruise on the 26th. Or, flying in and flying out the next day. Nobody else likes those ideas. So, the other option is heading out from Miami on December 31 for only 3 nights. Miami is just under a 4 hour drive from our house so it's not horrible but not great, either.

Or, we could just drive somewhere and not worry about a cruise.

Also, this is my first Christmas without my parents AND my birthday is 12-31. I'm not looking forward to this Christmas at all and a vacation would be nice.

wait. you have the time and money for the 7 night? then yes do that. Skip driving 13 hours to see anyone. Skype or text a merry christmas.

Me? I'm staying HOME for christmas, the I'll jump on your 7 night cruise. take me, leave them. :D

For me, no three nights isn't worth it. We didn't like our 6 night a much! But I'm also not driving 13 hours for anyone or spending christmas anywhere but at home with my dh/kid. Dh hasn't seen his mom for Christmas since before we were married. nbd. He'd choose a cruise over a visit with her any day! (but we enjoy our cruises).

Edited by Gardeneroflove

Have done several west coast repo short cruises which were fine. We found a 4 day Dream cruise way to short - didn't even see half of the ship. The 7 day Fantasy was much better - we could relax and enjoy some of the activities instead of just unpacking and packing. So much to do on a Disney cruise I wouldn't recommend paying their premium prices for less than a week.

That said, even a short cruise is better than no cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Well...hubby just flat-out refused to drive 800 miles on Christmas eve, and turn around and drive the reverse 800 on Christmas day. The nerve of some people! ;) We have 4 drivers, we'd just each take a 3 hour shift and it would be easy!

I was leaning towards a 3 night cruise because it's better than nothing.

Well... :D :D hubby talked to his boss and she said they'd be working SO HARD this spring that taking the first week off of 2016 would be a great idea. :D :D So, we'll still get to drive 800 miles on Christmas eve (or maybe the day before or maybe we'll split the drive into 2 days) but we won't have to come home until December 30. Then, we can rest and recover and will head out on January 2. Woohoo!!!

I'm kind of excited. :D

Dh & I are going on a Carnival cruise in November, it'll be fun to compare the 2 lines.

Well...hubby just flat-out refused to drive 800 miles on Christmas eve, and turn around and drive the reverse 800 on Christmas day. The nerve of some people! ;) We have 4 drivers, we'd just each take a 3 hour shift and it would be easy!

I was leaning towards a 3 night cruise because it's better than nothing.

Well... :D :D hubby talked to his boss and she said they'd be working SO HARD this spring that taking the first week off of 2016 would be a great idea. :D :D So, we'll still get to drive 800 miles on Christmas eve (or maybe the day before or maybe we'll split the drive into 2 days) but we won't have to come home until December 30. Then, we can rest and recover and will head out on January 2. Woohoo!!!

I'm kind of excited.

Dh & I are going on a Carnival cruise in November, it'll be fun to compare the 2 lines.

I just realized I didn't say that we are going on a 7 night cruise! That's why there are so many smilies. :D

I just realized I didn't say that we are going on a 7 night cruise! That's why there are so many smilies. :D

Glad to hear it, and I'd be amazed if you felt that you would have preferred the 3/4 night cruise!

Hope you have an amazing time!

ex techie