NCL DSC or Grat's now cannot be changed aboard.

Ex techie

I understand where you're coming from about the itineraries on the newer NCL ships, but I'm not so 'beachy' and I've already seen all of the eastern Caribbean I think I care to--more interested in Cozumel. But I really enjoyed the Getaway itself. I'll be curious to know where you land. My next test venture is a small sailing on Celeb, but I confess I do sort of miss NCL.

I enjoyed Celeb more than my young adult daughter. I (at 60) was the next youngest person at our dinner table. The other ladies were nice....other than the one who had obvious dementia issues. She had been scheduled for the cruise with her husband who died a few months before. Family insisted she cruise alone. She was SO lost....and she kept finding us and clutching on to us. She would be carrying spa or excursion tickets and not have a clue where to go...or she would have lost her room or room key again...I tried to help, but twice had to just take her to Guest Services.

Bottom line--MUCH older crowd than on Disney, even if you looked at just the DCL cruisers with no kids. We did chat at length with one family who had kids...maybe 7 and 10....their kids loved the kid program.

We liked the food better than DCL. The enclosed pool was great on cold days. The stateroom service was great. Dining service was a bit haughty. The head server was really sweet though. The munchies were better than DCL, and the lunch outlet that had "healthy" choices at lunch served an amazing grilled salmon. Our stateroom was significantly smaller than on DCL (I'm using both our experience and the sq.ft. listed on each web site. Price was better than DCL, but less than it first appeared as the web site buried the port charges and taxes till the very end. They have changed that so it is more clear now. Overall....I'd do Celebrity again. Family is still hesitant because we do love DCL. I may win them over with the concept that we can get at least a balcony and in some cases a suite on NCL or Celebrity for the price of an inside on DCL. It may simply come down to asking which they would prefer!

DCL just priced me out of one...

We were looking at Concierge on the Fantasy next year, honestly the primary reason would be to get a cabana on Serenity Bay... For a Concierge Balcony, we were looking around $5500.

NCL will be sailing their brand new ship from Miami, same week similar itinerary. For $5800, we are getting a Deluxe Haven spa suite (2 room suite, double balcony, hot tub in room with outside view), which includes access to the private haven area, 24 hour butler, concierge service, access to the thermal spa, unlimited adult beverage package ($800 value at retail if you bought it), 250 mins of wifi, $50 per port shorex credit (we probably won't use that but still), 4 specialty dining credits each, $25 OBC and $100 Spa credit each (that last coming from TA to be fair - but partially because NCL is more generous with comms and perks at least to them). There is still a new ship premium in play I think here as well.

A similar package on Disney would be $10K? More? And other than the characters the Escape has the bells and whistles to match Fantasy if not more.

I know where you are coming from...we cancelled our October Fantasy cruise when we wanted something special for a big number anniversary, and we booked the Haven Courtyard penthouse suite with $300 onboard credit, unlimited specialty dining, unlimited beverage package, and all gratuities prepaid, for half the cost of a DCL concierge family stateroom. And after just sailing on NCL Pearl, I am not worried at all that I'll be disappointed with NCL' s service or crew friendliness.

Yes, this was my experience last week. Run around and lie down on the ground where the waiters were trying to walk. For most of our meal. And these were not 'littles'. And this was on the second seating.

There were lots of well behaved kids, the problem is it just takes one 9 yo screaming 10 feet from you to make dinner a chore. By the last night, our server team slipped Jack Daniels (or what tasted like it) into our diet cokes.

(This really happened.)

I guess I've been off the Dream long enough now that I can conclusively say: I preferred the NCL Getaway. The concierge service on Disney was FANTASTIC, and even better than described, but it's so expensive. I liked moving around the Getaway, people-watching, walking through the public areas/atriums, etc. Moving around the Dream felt much more stressful (fewer/v. cramped elevators, fewer direct routes from aft to forward, lots of little choke points, more frequent encounters with walls of people coming the opposite direction, etc). And I was on the GA in what I assume is 'high' vacation season (June) versus the dead of post-Labor Day on Dream. Aside from trying to get out of the 80s party in Spice H20 and the day one lunch buffet, I never felt 'trapped' on the Getaway.

And bringing back to the original point that I think caused me to join this thread--I really liked being able to eat what kind of meal I wanted, whenever I wanted, at any level of casual or table service, while on the GA. I really missed it badly on Dream.

Having only just cruised NCL on the Pearl, I so appreciated being to eat in a dining room at a time I chose, instead of times that are too early or too late for me on DCL. Never made a reservation and never had a wait. And no " excellent" speech either!

This particular class has a divider (wall and desk structure where the TVs are) between the sleeping and living area, not 100 percent sure (only on the new ship, no one has actually seen it yet) that there is a door between the two, curtain or just a doorway...

Interesting.

We booked the BA before it came out too and were not quite sure what the room was going to look like exactly. One thing we didn't know about is that it had a movable wall between it and the room next door and the wall leaked noise in the corner where you could hear the neighbors talking while they were sitting at their table.

Yes, this was my experience last week. Run around and lie down on the ground where the waiters were trying to walk. For most of our meal. And these were not 'littles'. And this was on the second seating.

There were lots of well behaved kids, the problem is it just takes one 9 yo screaming 10 feet from you to make dinner a chore. By the last night, our server team slipped Jack Daniels (or what tasted like it) into our diet cokes.

(This really happened.)

I guess I've been off the Dream long enough now that I can conclusively say: I preferred the NCL Getaway. The concierge service on Disney was FANTASTIC, and even better than described, but it's so expensive. I liked moving around the Getaway, people-watching, walking through the public areas/atriums, etc. Moving around the Dream felt much more stressful (fewer/v. cramped elevators, fewer direct routes from aft to forward, lots of little choke points, more frequent encounters with walls of people coming the opposite direction, etc). And I was on the GA in what I assume is 'high' vacation season (June) versus the dead of post-Labor Day on Dream. Aside from trying to get out of the 80s party in Spice H20 and the day one lunch buffet, I never felt 'trapped' on the Getaway.

And bringing back to the original point that I think caused me to join this thread--I really liked being able to eat what kind of meal I wanted, whenever I wanted, at any level of casual or table service, while on the GA. I really missed it badly on Dream.

I basically feel the same way, except I sailed on the Epic. The Magic and the Wonder don't have the same trapped and crowded feeling that the newer ships have to me, but they lack the fun stuff now. In December I did Epic, Wonder and Freedom of the Seas within a three week span and the Wonder was definitely the most disappointing experience. The Epic has a super confusing layout but it had plentiful elevators and a good amount of pool deck and interior space. Disney just doesn't feel like it does after trying other lines.

We are not concierge people at all, but have heard great things about NCL Haven. We did concierge on the Magic (before the lounge) and apart from the huge room there was little value for money for us. We don't spend a lot of time in the room. ;)

I think you would probably enjoy Oasis class; we had friends who were in a suite and they were treated like royalty on the cruise. :) Plus there is tons to do and it felt even less crowded than Disney or even NCL.

(This really happened.)

You basically explained how we feel and why we are moving away from DCL and sailing more frequently with NCL. My kids are teens and young adults now and they just love the varied activities on the newer NCL ships. I have to add that we are concierge cruisers on both lines. If you enjoyed the concierge experience on DCL which I feel is excellent, you will absolutely love the Haven experience on NCL which is just as good if not better on the newer NCL ships at a much better price point.

Edited by hencoll

• 2 weeks later...

So Princess have increased their grat's from $11.50 to $12.95 for inside, ocean view and balcony Staterooms, and mini suites and suites from $12 to £13.95.

How long before DCL increase it?

Will it be formally announced, or will they try to slip it in under the radar with an update to the website and no Guest communication?

Will they push their luck again so soon after the alcohol restrictions?

ex techie