Lanyards and Trading Disney Pins

CamilleB

Hello. We are going on the Fantasy this fall and understand that trading Disney Pins is a "thing". Haven't been to Disney in 40 years and have never been on a cruise. Going with a 9 year old and a princess loving 5 year old. Can someone explain? Thanks! :confused:

Hello. We are going on the Fantasy this fall and understand that trading Disney Pins is a "thing". Haven't been to Disney in 40 years and have never been on a cruise. Going with a 9 year old and a princess loving 5 year old. Can someone explain? Thanks! :confused:

If you do a search for "pin trading on disney cruise", you'll get several hits explaining what it's all about.

Edited by Shmoo here

If you do a search for "pin trading on disney cruise", you'll get several hits explaining what it's all about.

If you are going to take the time to post a response, then post a helpful response. A response that says do a search is such a waste of time and space. If you already know the answer and you were not going to provide it, then why did you click on the thread?

I'm actually giving out Pins as part of my Fish Extender gift exchange (arranged by/with a group of us sailing on the ship who met through a social networking site).

Here is what I am including with the set of Pins we're giving out:

What is a Tradable Pin?

It must be a metal pin bearing a “©Disney” mark on the back that

represents a Disney Event, Place or Location, Character or Icon.

Pins should be in good condition and undamaged.

Etiquette Please…and Thank You!

Please refrain from touching a Cast Member’s or Guest’s pins or lanyard. If you need a closer look, kindly ask the Cast Member or Guest wearing the lanyard if she or he can bring it into clearer view for you and for a safe trading experience, please trade one pin at a time, hand to hand with pin backs attached. When trading with a Cast Member, Guests should offer a pin that is not currently displayed on the Cast Member’s lanyard.

These are not the Droids…er, Pins you’re looking for

Not accepted for trade are plastic pins, rubber pins or other non-metal pins, “Personalized Name” pins and “Broche style” or “clasp pins”.

Who are you looking for? And where do you find them?

Cast Members around the ship who wear pin lanyards are always happy to trade with guests. We've found that the Cast Members standing outside of Cabanas always wear lanyards, so that's a great place to start! Plus, the Cast Members in the gift shops have lanyards and pin trading books behind the desk if you ask. They'll be happy to pull those out so you can peruse the pages and pages of pins! On one night of the cruise, you can experience Officer Pin Trading Night. The officers in their uniforms will be in the atrium lobby ready to trade with guests.

In the past, I've purchased large lots of trading pins off of Ebay. You need to look for a reputable seller with lots of good feedback. I can't recommend a specific seller because I last bought a lot of 200 pins about 5 years ago.

Since we don't go to the parks often anymore and this is probably our last DCL cruise for a while (maybe even forever), I want to get rid of my traders so I am giving sets of six pins per cabin through our gift exchange.

If you are going to take the time to post a response, then post a helpful response. A response that says do a search is such a waste of time and space. If you already know the answer and you were not going to provide it, then why did you click on the thread?

I do know the answer, but I felt that a better, more complete answer would be given on a site that totally deals with such things.

As to telling someone to "do a search", I did a search and got several hits on the subject. In reality, it's not unusual for people to come and post questions here before trying to find out the information for themselves (sorry, OP, I'm not addressing this comment to you). I tried to post some links to these sites, but they were blocked. So, next best, I suggested a specific search subject that would get them the information they wanted.

You can get "starter" sets from Disney stores and on the ship. The starter sets usually come w/ a lanyard and some pins so you can trade.

Be cautious buying on Ebay. Research it very well. Some sellers on Ebay have junk that CMs won't trade. Also, be cautious of pins from individuals (not CMs). They may have bought the junk pins.

Trading is just that. You trade one of your pins for one of theirs.

Note: This can get expensive quick. And addictive.