Disney - Never again

Grandma1961

I am so very disappointed with Disney. This is our first cruise. It is a surprise for my granddaughter's 8th birthday. We spent $10,000 on this cruise and everything we tried to book for her was sold out before I could get online to schedule them. For example, today was the first day I could schedule any port trips. I went online at 8:00am and The dolphin excursion, zip lining, the Royal Tea were all sold out! I was told that people who had cruised with Disney before were given first priority on these items. Now, can someone please explain to me why I would give this company any more of my money and take a 2nd cruise when I couldn't get the things I needed on the first cruise, which was the most important cruise. I am so upset with Disney. I guess one person spending $10,000 on a cruise is no big deal to Disney. I hope they choke on it. Never again!

This is not a Disney only issue. That said, keep an eye open and check every few days as people are constantly changing plans, especially with excursions, also if demand is high they can add capacity if the provider has it.

The Royal Tea and Cabanas are really the only two items that I find locked down to prior cruisers with status.

I am so very disappointed with Disney. This is our first cruise. It is a surprise for my granddaughter's 8th birthday. We spent $10,000 on this cruise and everything we tried to book for her was sold out before I could get online to schedule them. For example, today was the first day I could schedule any port trips. I went online at 8:00am and The dolphin excursion, zip lining, the Royal Tea were all sold out! I was told that people who had cruised with Disney before were given first priority on these items. Now, can someone please explain to me why I would give this company any more of my money and take a 2nd cruise when I couldn't get the things I needed on the first cruise, which was the most important cruise. I am so upset with Disney. I guess one person spending $10,000 on a cruise is no big deal to Disney. I hope they choke on it. Never again!

Another option is that if you cannot get these items (check every day - you never know what might open up) then immediately head to guest services when you board and request to be put on a waitlist. You may get lucky!

Also, the next time you cruise Disney (I know, you're angry right now, but if you did go on another Disney cruise) you would be a past passenger, so you would have an earlier booking date.

I'll just echo the "keep checking" sentiment. Unlike other cruiselines, on DCL you don't pay upfront for excursions and such. Because of that, many people book reservations "just in case" They have up until 3 days pre-cruise before they are locked in and will be charged for them. '

Many times there are openings on "sold out" excursions.

And, next time you'll be in that past cruiser group for earlier bookings.

On our last, and so far only, Disney cruise several excursions were sold out when I logged on at midnight at the first available time for me to do so as a first time cruiser. Only one of those remained sold out before the sail date. Again, keep checking.

What my entire family, grandparents included, decided after the cruise was that we much preferred excursions we arranged for ourselves, usually thru input I got here at CC and off Tripadvisor. The non-DCL excursions were often significantly cheaper, and with much smaller groups. It's a bit more planning, but it was definitely worth it.

So consider finding your own zip line and dolphin excursions. Granted, the Princess Tea is DCL specific, but the rest is doable without going thru DCL.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

That is quite the first post rant! lol!

Feel free to rant some more if you wish, however I would suggest you take several deep breaths and try to calm down.

That way we may be able to offer you suggestions, solutions and help to your situation in a more constructive way than your only question of why should you book again.

You are obviously green to cruising and the way cruising works, so I too am sorry you are disappointed by only finding out how it works now. Cruise Critic and other boards are great resources to help people plan a cruise. Unfortunately it seems you are late in finding this out.

Cruising still has small class remnants of the classic days of cruising, although a lot more watered down these days fortunately.

Yes, the more you cruise the more privileges you earn, the earlier you get to book some ticketed or paid for activities, shore excursions, make adult only dining reservations, choose the earliest time to arrive at the port etc.

DCL are not alone and this is the industry standard for mass market cruising.

You obviously feel DCL have done you wrong, but unfortunately, just like any cruise line, shore excursions are on a first come, first serve basis, and your Castaway Club level dictates that. So as above, after your first cruise, you will attain Silver Castaway Club level. The reasoning behind this is exactly the question you ask. The more you cruise the better perks you get, and that is in order to entice Guest's to come back time after time as well as enjoying the cruise.

Unfortunately dropping $10k on your first cruise for your party does not mean you will get the activities or shore ex's you wish anymore than if you booked a $4k cruise. The exception to this as a first time cruiser is if you book Concierge, and then you get the ability to request your chosen activities before anyone else who isn't Concierge, and mostly they will be met. (this is the class remnants I mentioned before, along with exclusive areas on 3 or the 4 ships).

So as it stands, as above, your best bet is to check daily, even a couple of times a day if you can to see if anyone cancels their reservations for the Royal Tea and excursions. Also go to Guest Services and Shore Excursions when aboard and ask to be wait listed for any cancellations.

Another option is that you could book a dolphin excursion privately if you so wished and maybe the zip lining?

I would suggest you spend some time reading on Cruise Critic, and ask any questions you may still have afterwards to prevent anymore "surprises" once you are aboard, and make for a more learned and happy first cruise experience.

The DCL website also has a FAQ section here:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/

And an import part of that is the Prohibited Items section here which is definitely worth reading:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/prohibited-items/

Wishing you all the best going forward.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

This isn't really a Disney CRUISE thing, this is a Disney FAN thing. It's all about being the first in line for limited resources or "rope drop".

Not sure I follow?

I can get that someone (the very few) might do very little to no research and book a DCL cruise, believe all the glossy hype and have unrealistic expectations that every request they ask for and every whim they desire will be met by Prince's in uniform, and characters reading their child a bedtime story each and every night,, even booking an inside deck 1 Stateroom 18 months out for the cheapest price, or wait until the last few months and end up paying higher rates on DCL in a lot of cruise circumstances, but that is on them.

Why is it about being Disney Fan thing, being first in line?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Since Grandma1961's thread will likely garner a lot of views from people that ARE researching how cruises work, what to expect, what if you didn't really read the T's and C's and booked a cruise on the site or via a TA who didn't know about DCL, a few more thoughts and tips!

• Your cruise could be diverted due to bad weather so you may miss or skip ports.
  • There is no compensation for missing ports due to bad weather apart from the refund of the port fee.
  • If you booked shore excursions on your own and the ship cannot dock or drop anchor and tender, that is your responsibility. The cruise line accepts no responsibility to refund you for your missed shore excursions. They WILL refund shore excursions booked through them.
  • TIPPING! Yes on top of your cruise fare, there is a charge for being served in the MDR's (Main Dining Rooms), and having your Stateroom cleaned/made up. DCL is currently charging $12 per day per person for this. That covers your Dining Room Manager, Head Server, Assistant Server and Stateroom Host.
  • Their income is dependent on you paying that tip or charge.
  • Just because you may not eat in the MDR's every evening, or ask that your Stateroom not be cleaned is NOT reason to remove that tip or charge. The MDR servers work during your breakfast, lunch and quick serve outlets. Their income is dependent on you tipping, so remember to include that $12 per day, per person into your cruising costs.
  • If your or someone in your party get's sick, falls and it is not the fault of the cruise line, it costs to see the Doc. They are independent contractors, so have travel medical insurance!
  • Book a flight home before 12pm at your risk! Ships are faily regular in being able to get into port on time. Delay's do happen! Just this week one ship was delayed and didn't dock intime for many to get to MCO before 1pm. Ship happens! So book early flights AT YOUR RISK! Or have travel insurance that will cover flight transfers.
  • Passports are not always necessary depending on the cruise. Passport books are not good for flights from foriegn countries, so again AT YOUR RISK! If someone become ill or you need to fly home from a a foriegn port, you will most likely be delayed in obtaining an emergency passport to get home. (Persons needing medical attention ommited, but not necessarilly their traviling companion)
  • Read up on cruising! Find out what it is about and be educated about it first.

ex techie

Not sure I follow?

I can get that someone (the very few) might do very little to no research and book a DCL cruise, believe all the glossy hype and have unrealistic expectations that every request they ask for and every whim they desire will be met by Prince's in uniform, and characters reading their child a bedtime story each and every night,, even booking an inside deck 1 Stateroom 18 months out for the cheapest price, or wait until the last few months and end up paying higher rates on DCL in a lot of cruise circumstances, but that is on them.

Why is it about being Disney Fan thing, being first in line?

ex techie

Spent any time on DIS? See the lengths people go to to snag those BoG and Anna/Elsa fast passes at the parks? Staying up till midnight and fighting with the Disney site?

It's a whole "get there first and beat the crowds" rope drop mentality engendered by the ever-growing crowds at the parks. It's why they don't open PC till 10 or 10:30--Disney peeps would show up at dawn if they could.

Meanwhile, people obsess about their "booking window" on the cruises, meaning exactly what time they can snag the high demand targets like cabanas, and I guess the tea OP wanted, which I assume must have princesses, because nothing else could cause this much angst. :) I don't see this stuff happening on other boards, for the most part.

Anyway, I was sincere in that it's not really DCL's fault--in a sense they are victims of their own success. And Frozen's.

Edited to add: yeah, I googled the royal tea, it is a THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR event with costume princesses, which means DCL's already tried to price it high enough to thin the demand and it's still generating posts like this one. Too many people want in, someone loses out. I guarantee this was the crux of OP's angst.

Much drama is caused by princesses these days.

Edited by perditax

It's mainly a WDW thing, everything is booked 180 days in advance and people rush to get the most desirable bookings as soon as the booking window opens.

Ah! No class or loyalty system like on the ships!

Thank you for explaining! I went to the parks around midday, flashed my CM pass, did some rides, and left. I guess if you plan plan plan it could be a pain not to go with the flow!

ex techie

Spent any time on DIS? See the lengths people go to to snag those BoG and Anna/Elsa fast passes at the parks? Staying up till midnight and fighting with the Disney site?

It's a whole "get there first and beat the crowds" rope drop mentality engendered by the ever-growing crowds at the parks. It's why they don't open PC till 10 or 10:30--Disney peeps would show up at dawn if they could.

Meanwhile, people obsess about their "booking window" on the cruises, meaning exactly what time they can snag the high demand targets like cabanas, and I guess the tea OP wanted, which I assume must have princesses, because nothing else could cause this much angst. :) I don't see this stuff happening on other boards, for the most part.

Anyway, I was sincere in that it's not really DCL's fault--in a sense they are victims of their own success. And Frozen's.

I read the cruise section sometimes. I don't post there anymore not since a long time! Thank you WM Mike for freeing me of your BS!

I don't get the we have to be there as soon as possible bit. It would just be stressful before the cruise started.

I get the OP's disappointment that they couldn't get the activities and shore ex's they wanted. But absolutely not the rage and anger for what is poor planning and knowledge of cruising. Blaming DCL for their lack of knowledge and over expecting everything. Even if they had gotten 1 of the 3 things mentioned at booking day they would have been lucky IMO. To have the expectation of a 3 and then be crushed and so venomous about it, did surprise me.

People do obsess about things, but generally I think most people have the common sense to put things into perspective before and after disappointment, and don't splash $10k without being clued up first.

But there are always the exceptions. ;)

ex techie

Edited to add: yeah, I googled the royal tea, it is a THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR event with costume princesses, which means DCL's already tried to price it high enough to thin the demand and it's still generating posts like this one. Too many people want in, someone loses out. I guarantee this was the crux of OP's angst.

Much drama is caused by princesses these days.

Agree! There is an expectation IMO from their post that they dropped $10k on a cruise so they expected Royal treatment. But $10k on a cruise is a lot of money, but not unusual on a DCL cruise these days if booked last minute and it doesn't specify how many Guest's or Cat Staterooms either.

If DCL could, they would sell 60-70% of requests for the BBB I personally think. Keep the demand there and the price high. Unfortunately on a ship you have limited space and limited crew to undertake these functions, so it probably is around 30-50% of all kids that get appointments IMO.

And for shore ex, well DCL aint the only cruise line out there, so their ship aint the only one in port that day either. They buy as many shore ex places from the vendors of the excursions as they think they will sell, as do the other cruise lines.

Get the Fantasy, Oasis or Allure, and a couple of Carnival ships and an NCL in the same port and you have 20k of people defending on a relatively small area of sometimes a small island, all wanting taxi's and shore excursions, and the same things.

JMO

ex techie

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Agree!

ex techie

For what it's worth, I agree people should research before dropping the price of a nice used car. :)

There's just something about Disney that makes people really get distressed if they feel they are missing out on something, and it makes them want it more. I even fell into the BoG hysteria last time I went to WDW--basically so I could spend $20 on a ham and cheese sandwich and a cupcake. I mean, I guess wanting something you've been told is hard to get is just human nature, but combine it with Disney and then princesses and people get genuinely *angry* if it's withheld from them.

(BTW, I don't expect OP to be back, it sounded like a one hit wonder, or else I wouldn't be quite so flippant.)

For what it's worth, I agree people should research before dropping the price of a nice used car. :)

There's just something about Disney that makes people really get distressed if they feel they are missing out on something, and it makes them want it more. I even fell into the BoG hysteria last time I went to WDW--basically so I could spend $20 on a ham and cheese sandwich and a cupcake. I mean, I guess wanting something you've been told is hard to get is just human nature, but combine it with Disney and then princesses and people get genuinely *angry* if it's withheld from them.

(BTW, I don't expect OP to be back, it sounded like a one hit wonder, or else I wouldn't be quite so flippant.)

Again I agree, but I think that if you spoke to a staff member at Universal about Harry Potter, or Minions they would express the same dismay with their Guest's.

Disney has just been around so much longer in your face, and it is or was a brand you grew up with and trust going back to your childhood as being great at customer service, doing the right thing no matter what, and making everything right.

I nearly spat soda on my laptop when Tonka's Skipper criticized the alcohol policy handling!

We have disagreed over the years back on the Dis and here on CC about what I experienced and saw as a CM and what he experienced as a Guest.

I very much doubt the OP will be back either. I hope they do so they can learn from their mistake and make their cruise better by being more informed beforehand, and not get anymore "surprises" when they get aboard.

And at the same time, I stand by what I said.

I wouldn't book an African safari vacation without really researching what I would get to experience, see, or what was the glossy brochure image that the vacations seller portrayed.

I DO feel for their grandchild, and think they have probably hyped up what they cannot book maybe as well.

Who knows?

If they come back, hopefully they will read and get educated? They can rant all they want. This isn't an emotional support board. Everyone can express sympathy and empathy, but it requires the OP to research, ask and learn.

ex techie

Important thing that I don't recall being advertised is that sign ups open at midnight eastern time on whatever day is listed (so if you lived in say California your sign up time would begin after 9pm local).

Also once upon a time there were some packages that allowed you to book earlier than normal, I'm not sure they still do that however.

/at least thats how it worked out on my cruises

I guess I need to explain myself since people are jumping to conclusions. I started researching Disney cruises when my granddaughter turned 5. I have read all the tips, got suggestions from friends who went on DCL and called them a few time s for clarification. I booked the cruise in December of 2014, one full year out. So no, Ex techie, I did not wait t until the last minute to book the cruise s e and I did do my research. No Disney ever again!

We are taking our first disney cruise in a few weeks. I am a seasoned cruiser on other lines, and I will say this is an experience like no other. I sat up until midnight to get an early boarding time and to get the excursions I wanted. I usually always book private excursions, and I did in one of our ports, but there are 6 of us. We wanted to do the dolphin excursion, but half the extreme swim, the other half the regular experience. I thouhgt it easier to coordinate thru DCL. That said, I did not get the time I wanted but I was able to book the excursion.

I have found planning for this cruise more stressful than most, and truthfully, I find the class system a little ridiculous. It is not like this on all other cruises. Everyone can book things at the same time. However, that said, I am looking forward to the experience, to see what all of the hype is about. My mom is taking myself, my brother, my SIL and my niece and nephew. This cruise is for the kids. It is their first time on a cruise ship, and I want them to love it. That is why I am staying up till midnight, jumping through hoops, participating in an FE gift exchange and every thing else I can possibly do to bring the Disney magic to my niece and nephew. Will I ever do it again? That remains to be seen. :)

I guess I need to explain myself since people are jumping to conclusions. I started researching Disney cruises when my granddaughter turned 5. I have read all the tips, got suggestions from friends who went on DCL and called them a few time s for clarification. I booked the cruise in December of 2014, one full year out. So no, Ex techie, I did not wait t until the last minute to book the cruise s e and I did do my research. No Disney ever again!

Respectfully, but this doesn't seem like a good reason to swear off an entire cruiseline, especially when you haven't even set foot on board yet.

Unfortunately there is a supply and demand issue here. Even if they didn't grant 'early access' as a loyalty perk to past cruisers and concierge, there are things to keep in mind:

*Disney people are very intense about booking things early, and there is no guarantee you would have been able to click fast enough to get the Royal Tea even with all things being equal. There are only X number slots, someone is going to lose out, and you are far from the only person spending multiple thousands of dollars on your trip.

*You mention the dollar amount you spent several times, which seems to indicate that you wanted special treatment for it. But the problem is, everyone wants special treatment at Disney, and it is doled out to 1) past cruisers, 2) people who spent even MORE money than you (concierge). Can't have that one both ways.

*As many people have suggested to you repeatedly, just keep checking anyway. It's also easy to book common excursions like dolphin encounters on your own.

I hope that after a few days the dust will settle and you will choose not to let these relatively minor issues poison the whole vacation for you, and most especially for your granddaughter.

Edited by perditax

I am sorry for your frustration. I think that Disney sets unrealistic expectations that they are having more and more trouble living up to. They advertise all of these great things onboard (like the princess tea) but limit it's availability so they are sure that have more demand than supply.

It's frustrating to pay so much money and then to experience a let down so quickly in the planning process. Especially due to DCL's class system when it comes to pre-booking. I remember a great deal of frustration on my first cruise when I couldn't get a Palo brunch reservation. On the other hand, I didn't end up trying Palo until my 5th Disney cruise and now I don't plan on doing it for number 6. If they didn't get me hooked on it that first cruise, I am become used to cruising without it.

Even without all of the extras, I am sure you and your granddaughter will have a wonderful trip. Take a breath and maybe a second look at excursions to find something else you may enjoy.

When you board the ship, make sure that you pick up tickets for Anna & Elsa and the Princess Gathering right away. Its no tea party but at least you'll ensure your granddaughter can meet all of them with a minimal wait.

I am sorry that you have such a sour taste in your mouth for the cruise and you haven't even sailed yet.

I wanted to echo getting to guest services once you board to check if they have any reservations for the tea party and if they could put you on a wait list.

Something you can not book ahead of time, but need a ticket for, is meeting the Frozen Princesses. You can ask about that at Guest Services too when you board. People will want these tickets so I suggest getting to GS right after you walk on. It is easy - that and your other request will take just a few minutes and you will have one less worry.

The Princess gatherings usually have people lining up very early before the start time - so if you have your heart set on that you will have to line up early.

I do hope you have a lovely cruise.