Azura questions

aurora2009

We have cruised almost every year since 1992 with P&O. Always cruised on Oriana or Aurora. This year I have persuaded my husband and 22 yr old daughter to try Azura out of school holidays. We will share a 3 berth cabin. I have done lots of research over the last week including looking up blogs, reviews, videos (thanks Jo, product review and cruisa), photos but still have questions!

1. What drawer / storage space is there in balcony and deluxe balcony staterooms? (my husband and daughter are runners and bring loads of kit!)

2. Does the gym have exercise mats?

3. How does the planet bar compare to crows nest?

4. Are there short tennis competitions on sea days?

Finally any observations on the advantages or disadvantages of opting for a deluxe balcony over a balcony to accommodate 3 adults (we are small!) would also be appreciated.

The planning is lots of fun :-)

Amanda

We love Azura so I'm sure you'll not be disappointed. We always have balconies and in a few weeks we're having the deluxe version but for now I can only comment on the basic balconies

1. The wardrobe space is great. As you go into your cabin, there is a small dressing area beside the shower room and there is a long open hanging rail with a shelf above it and lots of space underneath even when your clothes are hanging up. Beside that is a tall unit with shelves and it has a door on it. There is a drawer in each bedside table and in your vanity unit

3. The Planet Bar is really beautiful with subtle lighting and every evening there is a show projected onto the wall of destinations round the world. It is not at all intrusive and you can ignore it if you want. It's probably bigger than the Crows nest but similar kind of layout, and of course it's at the back.

We're expecting some perks in our superior like bottle of bubbly/ canapes on formals, fruit, flowers and chocolates on arrival and maybe a bath. I suppose the main advantage is the proper sitting area. We love Azura and our favourite cabins (not deluxe) are the aft which have huge balconies e.g. corner on B deck. The cabins in C deck all have huge balconies but are not deluxe either with part of the balcony covered and part uncovered.

Hope you love Azura as much as we do.

With 3 adults in a cabin I would definately opt for a Superior deluxe on Azura. The cabins are much bigger and your daughter will have a sofa bed. In an ordinary balcony cabin it will almost certainly be a bunk style third berth.

In my opinion, 3 people in an ordinary balcony will be cramped. Draw space isn't great but there is plenty of wardrobe and other storage.

I love the planet bar - but it is not at the front of the ship so you do get a different view! The gym has mats. Don't know about short tennis I'm afraid!

Hope that helps

Thanks for your replies. We will opt for superior deluxe for the sofa bed and bath! if anyone has a sea day copy of the horizon newspaper that will list short tennis competitions.

An extra question. Do Verona and venezia serve the same food at lunchtime? do you have any comments about daytime eating?

Amanda

Thanks for your replies. We will opt for superior deluxe for the sofa bed and bath! if anyone has a sea day copy of the horizon newspaper that will list short tennis competitions.

An extra question. Do Verona and venezia serve the same food at lunchtime? do you have any comments about daytime eating?

Amanda

Yes Verona and Venezia serve buffet food lunchtime .....one opens as the other closes....we ate in the Glass House at lunchtime sometimes ....it was lovely.....sometimes we got food from the buffet and sat on our balcony in the sun....lovely and relaxing......there is so much choice.....you can also eat in the MDR 😁 I can't help with your tennis questions as I didn't keep a copy of the Horizon....we are on Azura in 7 weeks .....can't wait

http://www.studio2.org.uk/Horizon.pdf is my scan of seven days of Horizon on a Genoa->Venice cruise on Ventura ; Azura and Ventura are almost identical. Don't recall seeing short tennis but then wasn't really looking for it :)

Having been in both a standard balcony cabin and a deluxe I would agree with the deluxe if you are going to spend any time in there other than sleeping. It's doable, but it would be a bit cramped. The deluxe gives you a whole other seating area. This is what we are doing on N527 ; we have a deluxe balcony and an inside opposite for our older children. The idea is they sleep in there (unless they want a bit of peace and quiet for some reason) and we all mix in the larger cabin.

Edited by themanwithahat