How Many Ladies' Formal Outfits?

57eric

I'm looking into a longer (>14 nights) cruise and I'm wondering how many formal outfits women usually bring. Is three enough? Four?

Thanks.

My wife tends to take a different outfit for each evening. A lot of her 'informal' outfits would still be very suitable for a 'formal' evening. At the end of the day, it is very much up to you and whatever you feel comfortable in.

I also always take a different outfit for each evening. The number of formal nights will be shown on the voyage personaliser. We have been on several cruises longer than 14 days (but not yet longer than 21 nights).

Luckily we are not limited by having to fly!

I take a different outfit for each formal night because I love dressing up. But it certainly isn't a requirement. On longer cruises, it's practical to wear things more than once. I do repeat informal outfits. I can get several wearings out of a classic LBD by changing accessories.

I take a different outfit for each formal night because I love dressing up. But it certainly isn't a requirement. On longer cruises, it's practical to wear things more than once. I do repeat informal outfits. I can get several wearings out of a classic LBD by changing accessories.

I usually like to take a different dress for every night but on a 60 day cruise ,which I took last year from Sydney to Southampton, I did have to have some repeats!!!

I know I'm in the huge minority here but for our 25 night voyage I'm taking two formal outfits. We are a family of five and even if we all travel light we end up with a lot of luggage. I adhere to the evening's dress code but I really don't care that I repeat. Hubby will bring one suit and a couple of shirts and ties. A jacket for informal nights. My girls will also have two dresses each and my son will have one dress outfit with a couple of ties to switch out.

It depends how many formal nights you have - some long voyages can be very port intensive with fewer formal nights. If they have a Transatlantic crossing at either end, there will be more formal nights. I generally take a different dress for every night but I have not been on for longer than 21 nights.

The pre voyage documentation for our recent cruise said we would have 4 formal nights so I took 4 outfits. Once we were on board we found that there would only be 3. If numbers can be reduced I am sure they can also be increased once on board so take outfits you would be happy wearing more than once. Having said that, I only notice how people look on the night and not whether they have worn the outfit before or not.

I am amazed at some of the replies. 21? 24? Quite aside from the luggage considerations, I would not have thought the closet space in the majority of cabins would accommodate anything like these numbers.

Thanks everyone who responded.

I know I'm in the huge minority here but for our 25 night voyage I'm taking two formal outfits. We are a family of five and even if we all travel light we end up with a lot of luggage. I adhere to the evening's dress code but I really don't care that I repeat. Hubby will bring one suit and a couple of shirts and ties. A jacket for informal nights. My girls will also have two dresses each and my son will have one dress outfit with a couple of ties to switch out.

...the voice of reason :)

Best wishes to you and your family for a delightful voyage - how exciting 25 nights!:) -Salacia

The pre voyage documentation for our recent cruise said we would have 4 formal nights so I took 4 outfits. Once we were on board we found that there would only be 3. If numbers can be reduced I am sure they can also be increased once on board so take outfits you would be happy wearing more than once. Having said that, I only notice how people look on the night and not whether they have worn the outfit before or not.

On our recent six-day west coastal, the pre-cruise information said one formal night. Then on board we learn it is two nights! Luckily I had another outfit that I put together that made it formal for formal night. But I would have packed somewhat differently if I had the accurate information.

On our recent six-day west coastal, the pre-cruise information said one formal night. Then on board we learn it is two nights! Luckily I had another outfit that I put together that made it formal for formal night. But I would have packed somewhat differently if I had the accurate information.

A nice pair of well tailored black trousers in a decent fabric and various tops should pass a variety of dress codes around the world. We may not get the most accurate information prior boarding, but we can hedge our bets;)

Edited by Salacia

I am amazed at some of the replies. 21? 24? Quite aside from the luggage considerations, I would not have thought the closet space in the majority of cabins would accommodate anything like these numbers.

Thanks everyone who responded.

I have never had a problem with closet space and, as I wear different dresses during the day as well, I have had 40 plus dresses in one wardrobe before! As for luggage, we live in the UK and only chose round trips from Southampton which we drive to, so we can take plenty! We do have a bit of a name for having a lot of cases with us though :o By the way, my husband takes a different shirt for every evening plus a casual shirt for every day as well. So it is not just me!! Going over the top is definitely part of the fun!

Incidentally, you can store cases under the bed. We take two sizes and put the smaller inside the larger.

...the voice of reason :)

Best wishes to you and your family for a delightful voyage - how exciting 25 nights!:) -Salacia

Thank you for your kind wishes. It will be quite a trip. Actually 21 nights San Francisco to Sydney. Two weeks in Sydney and 25 nights home. Travelling on both QV and QE. We are excited. But first, we have a week on the QM2 in Canada and New England this fall. Haven't travelled Cunard since 2008 with a crossing on the QM2. All with only two pieces of formal wear.

We have just returned from the QM2 world voyage (120) nights. Had to wear formal dresses more than once. From my experience on shorter voyages you are hardly likely to notice if anyone wears the same outfit more than once and for folks on longer trips you are all in the same situation and expect repeats, especially if flying and have less luggage. Just enjoy dressing up for an occasion. It is one of the many things that makes cruising such good fun.

I'm looking into a longer (>14 nights) cruise and I'm wondering how many formal outfits women usually bring. Is three enough? Four?

Thanks.

Hi

I will first admit three things

1. I'm a guy!

2. We have only done one 8 night crossing which finished Yesterday sadly.

3. We were in the Brittania restaurant ( lower level , late sitting , table 56).

My wife had a dress for each of the four formal nights BUT it wouldn't have mattered if she took one less or if we were on a longer cruise and wore some twice or more.

While it is an extremely elegant and wonderful evening experience every night it isn't run by the fashion police.

Enjoy and relax. If you can afford and accommodate many many outfits bravo but if for whatever restrictions you can't that is fine also. I was impressed by the great mix of elegance AND in our limited experience adult realistic attitude.

It's a wonderful experience and enjoyable and flexible for all the right reasons.

We met experienced cruisers / crossers and novices. Everyone looked great and we wouldn't have cared in the least if outfits were repeated.

Enjoy x

Hi

1. I'm a guy!

3. We were in the Brittania restaurant ( lower level , late sitting , table 56).

My wife had a dress for each of the four formal nights BUT it wouldn't have mattered if she took one less or if we were on a longer cruise and wore some twice or more.

While it is an extremely elegant and wonderful evening experience every night it isn't run by the fashion police.

Enjoy and relax. If you can afford and accommodate many many outfits bravo but if for whatever restrictions you can't that is fine also. I was impressed by the great mix of elegance AND in our limited experience adult realistic attitude.

It's a wonderful experience and enjoyable and flexible for all the right reasons.

We met experienced cruisers / crossers and novices. Everyone looked great and we wouldn't have cared in the least if outfits were repeated.

Enjoy x

Absolutely! Well said! I totally agree. Part of the fun for me is getting the clothes together and (believe it or not) packing for the trip. If I only had room for one formal dress, fine. The cruise would be every bit as special and enjoyable and I'm sure virtually no one would notice.

And I'm glad you had a wonderful time on your first Cunard cruise (of many?)

In my first few cruises with Cunard I had one formal outfit, one semi-formal and a few casual outfits (black trousers with different tops). I felt happy with that, even on a 16-night cruise. Gradually over the years I have found more clothes and often take a different outfit for each night, even if it means skimping on daywear. I can even manage that on a fly cruise for 14 days! However, I recognise that I take all those clothes because I have them and because I want to, not because anyone onboard will notice if I wear the same clothes.

Enjoy!

Hi

1. I'm a guy!

Enjoy x

Perfectly said and fully agree! I was far too excited and just happy all the time to check and consider if someone was wearing a dress twice or three times or more. Honestly, do not care. Everybody as he/she likes, unless showing up in Jeans and Flip Flops (happened!). For us it is the fun of dressing up and I love my dresses - so I can wear them more than once - as I will do again during our 19 nights for Christmas/ Carribean and EB TA. Plus: Our luggage is limited due to flying - anyhow we will have 2pcs for each of us :D. We save space for t-shirts, trousers, blouses etc. as you can also easily wash and dry them on board. Also the cleaning service is quick and prices are reasonable. Enjoy your wonderful time and just leave your worries at home! :)