QM2 - Britannia Restaurant open for luncheon on port days?

NSWP

G'day, could not find answer to my query on Cunard 'Q & A.' ...'On QM2 is the Britannia Restaurant open for luncheon on port days?'

Been on Arcadia/Aurora/Oriana, their MDR opens for luncheon on port days, but Princess ships do not. First Cunard cruise coming up, hence my query.

Thanks in anticipation.

G'day, could not find answer to my query on Cunard 'Q & A.' ...'On QM2 is the Britannia Restaurant open for luncheon on port days?'

Been on Arcadia/Aurora/Oriana, their MDR opens for luncheon on port days, but Princess ships do not. First Cunard cruise coming up, hence my query.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ah, port days. My experience is that the MDR is open for lunch on port days - but if new passengers are boarding, the MDR might not be open. So, in other words, who knows? :)

Get to love the lido !

Cheers,

S.

This has been my experience...

1. On a cruise, when the ship is merely visiting a port for the day, and most passengers are off the ship on shore excursions, the Britannia Restaurant will be open as usual for lunch for the few passengers still on board.

2. On embarkation days/major change of passengers, the Britannia Restaurant will be closed to new passengers for lunch (as Salacia says, the buffet is open).

On cruises on four Cunard ships I have have never known the dining rooms to be closed on "port" days (either because I've been on board and used the restaurant myself, or have noted that they were "open" recorded in the Daily Programme).

On major embarkation days (in say, Southampton before a crossing to New York), I have read that the MDR is often open for in-transit passengers only (as I mentioned above, not to new passengers). However, I have also heard that, on certain rare occasions, the MDR was closed even to in-transit passengers. (I hope I am correct, and I am very willing to be corrected by other experienced people here, with greater knowledge, I have never been "in-transit"). I've headed for the Kings Court, Golden Lion or Boardwalk Cafe on embarkation days.

Hope this helps :) . Have an a great time on board the astounding QM2.

Edited by pepperrn

However, I have also heard that, on certain rare occasions, the MDR was closed even to in-transit passengers. (I hope I am correct, and I am very willing to be corrected by other experienced people here, with greater knowledge, I have never been "in-transit").

I have a vague recollection of seeing an announcement in the daily programme some years ago that the Britannia Restaurant would be closed and all in-transit passengers would be accomodated in (I think) the Princess Grill. I don't remember which ship or which port we were in. It probably stuck in my memory because it was unusual. I guess if they knew the numbers were small (and some probably ashore anyway) it would make sense to use the smaller venue.

Colin

I have a vague recollection of seeing an announcement in the daily programme some years ago that the Britannia Restaurant would be closed and all in-transit passengers would be accomodated in (I think) the Princess Grill. I don't remember which ship or which port we were in. It probably stuck in my memory because it was unusual. I guess if they knew the numbers were small (and some probably ashore anyway) it would make sense to use the smaller venue. Colin
I'm sure your thinking is quite correct, and of course, besides passengers being ashore, many of the stewards and galley staff will be as well. So opening a smaller restaurant for the limited number of passengers requiring lunch makes sense, as you say. Edited by pepperrn

This has been my experience...

1. On a cruise, when the ship is merely visiting a port for the day, and most passengers are off the ship on shore excursions, the Britannia Restaurant will be open as usual for lunch for the few passengers still on board.

2. On embarkation days/major change of passengers, the Britannia Restaurant will be closed to new passengers for lunch (as Salacia says, the buffet is open).

On cruises on four Cunard ships I have have never known the dining rooms to be closed on "port" days (either because I've been on board and used the restaurant myself, or have noted that they were "open" recorded in the Daily Programme).

On major embarkation days (in say, Southampton before a crossing to New York), I have read that the MDR is often open for in-transit passengers only (as I mentioned above, not to new passengers). However, I have also heard that, on certain rare occasions, the MDR was closed even to in-transit passengers. (I hope I am correct, and I am very willing to be corrected by other experienced people here, with greater knowledge, I have never been "in-transit"). I've headed for the Kings Court, Golden Lion or Boardwalk Cafe on embarkation days.

Hope this helps :) . Have an a great time on board the astounding QM2.

Pepper, You have it exactly right. On turnover days in Southampton there may not be enough passengers in transit to keep the MDR open for lunch. I have also been told that they are shampooing the carpet on that day. Therefore, it will be closed. I think it depends on how many are actually doing the round trip cruising.

Pepper, You have it exactly right. On turnover days in Southampton there may not be enough passengers in transit to keep the MDR open for lunch. I have also been told that they are shampooing the carpet on that day. Therefore, it will be closed. I think it depends on how many are actually doing the round trip cruising.

I do know for certain that the QM2 Britannia Restaurant will definitely be closed on July 13th .......cos I'm going to an onboard function that day ;) Yippie ! :D

I do know for certain that the QM2 Britannia Restaurant will definitely be closed on July 13th .......cos I'm going to an onboard function that day ;) Yippie ! :D

Good morning Bell Boy.

I shall look forward to meeting you I hope...

27156752500_3227ec9688_z.jpg

27361451441_faabfcf0f7_z.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

Ah, port days. My experience is that the MDR is open for lunch on port days - but if new passengers are boarding, the MDR might not be open. So, in other words, who knows? :)

Get to love the lido !

Cheers,

S.

My experience is that the Britannia Restaurant is open for passengers who are already on board. Passengers boarding that day are not permitted.

There is usually a number of tables also reserved for visitors.

And the reason I know that last fact?

I have often been invited to act as one of the hosts...

9411719891_bf3e8093c8_z.jpg

Good morning Bell Boy.

I shall look forward to meeting you I hope...

27156752500_3227ec9688_z.jpg

27361451441_faabfcf0f7_z.jpg

Ha ha ! You most certainly will, looks like it's going to be a good day out.

One can always rely on Cunard Line to put on a good show. ;)

Edited by Bell Boy

I cruised on Celebrity last month and was most surprised to find that their main dining room was not open on port days. I took Cunard's standards for granted and expected the same of Celebrity. It was particularly galling given that on the first night at dinner our waiter had pointed out that the main dining room would be particularly busy at lunchtime on the next day (sea day) and we might want to avoid it. I therefore planned to go on the day when we had decided not to go into a port. No luck.