WARNING: Organizing a Meet and Mingle on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth

newcruise

Having organized Meet and Mingles in the past, I volunteered to do one for the March 10-April 4, 2016 segment of Queen Elizabeth's World Cruise. I contacted Cunard's On Board Services on January 27 and had a quick reply. However, confirmations were slow in coming back from the ship. It was not until February 24 that On Board Services received confirmation from the ship's Events Manager for our meeting. Our group of 30 Cruise Critic members was set for Friday, March 11 at 2 pm in Connexions 2/3.

About 45 minutes before we were to meet my husband and I went there to make sure everything was ready and to set up a table with the name tags I created for the group. The room was locked. We waited a few minutes in case we were just too early, but no one arrived to open the room or bring in the tea, coffee, water and cookies we thought had been arranged. So, we went to the Purser’s Desk where Theresa of Guest Services came to our rescue. She hurriedly arranged for space in the Garden Lounge and had tea, coffee, water and cookies sent over. Our group members eventually found their way to our new location and we were able to enjoy our session. On March 12 I was able to meet with Nicki, the Events Manager, to find out exactly what went wrong and was there something I should have done to make sure all was in order. No, Nicki said, there was nothing I didn’t do, it was entirely her fault. She apologized, saying that she “forgot” about our group because she had five or six groups to make arrangements for. Frankly, that statement was appalling! Forgot? Her title is “Events Manager,” why did she “forget” an event that was arranged weeks ahead of time?

I hope steps will be taken to insure that Nicki is more organized in the future.

I suggest that anyone arranging a Queen Elizabeth Meet and Mingle seek out the onboard Events Manager before your session to make sure she didn't "forget" your group!

Edited by newcruise
font

Far better; don't involve Cunard at any stage.

Merely fix a day, time and place in advance with fellow CC passengers (traditionally 2pm first sea day, in the Commodore Club) and people turn up.

The bar is open for refreshments (alcoholic and soft drinks), and the view is far superior to the one in ConneXions.

All the best meet & greets I've attended were done without informing/involving Cunard in advance.

Happy sailings for the future :) .

Edited by pepperrn

I have to agree that it's pretty incompetent for an "Events Manager" to forget an event that she was supposed to manage for that day.

Your intentions were noble but this is an excellent example on why NOT to get Cunard involved in meet and greets: you lose control over the event because it's now at the time and place of Cunard's convenience. And for what? Inviting senior officers who truthfully have other things to do?

The Commodore Club is so much more pleasant than meeting in the bowels of the ship. The flash mob approach works best. And who really needs cookies and coffee when there is plenty of food for the taking 24/7.

... The Commodore Club is so much more pleasant than meeting in the bowels of the ship. The flash mob approach works best.
Well said :)
And who really needs cookies and coffee when there is plenty of food for the taking 24/7.
Very well said :) :) Edited by pepperrn

Am I missing something, why do people want to arrange meetings?

I spend half of my life in meetings and try to avoid as many of them as possible. Especially the need for name tags. Having the watched an episode of 'The Cruise' recently (yes, I know it wasn't Cunard) there was a couple who felt the need to have name badges made to look like the name badge the ships officers ware.

I do love to meet and talk to others, but I do so throughout the whole ship over the entire duration of the cruise.

Am I missing something, why do people want to arrange meetings?
Hi Taz_1,

I can only speak for myself;

I look forward to actually meeting, and enjoying the company of, the many interesting and witty people that previously I've only been able to "chat with" on CC. Or at the very least, "putting a face" to an "on-line name" so to speak.

I also enjoy meeting friends again that I've met on previous cruises or crossings (it can be so easy to miss people on a large ship).

These "meet & greet" gatherings on the ship has in several cases, led to lasting friendships, with us meeting up on dry land, as well as on board.

I spend half of my life in meetings and try to avoid as many of them as possible. Especially the need for name tags. Having the watched an episode of 'The Cruise' recently (yes, I know it wasn't Cunard) there was a couple who felt the need to have name badges made to look like the name badge the ships officers ware. ...
I also really dislike name-badges at a meet & greet on board. So I totally agree with you.

But then I dislike the "super-organisers" with all their mass cabin-crawls, gifts to total strangers, name tags, speeches, enquiries about how much people paid for their cruise (and smugly telling you they paid less), seating set out in rows (saw that organised once!) etc.

The very worst one I saw was in the Winter Garden where passengers were told by the self-appointed leader to "shut up, no-one can hear me speak if you're all simply chatting amongst yourselves... "

The meetings I've enjoyed most have been casual gatherings; a few friends and/or new acquaintances meeting over a drink and chatting/catching up on news.

Best wishes to you, and happy sailings for the future :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Taz_1,

I can only speak for myself;

I look forward to actually meeting, and enjoying the company of, the many interesting and witty people that previously I've only been able to "chat with" on CC. Or at the very least, "putting a face" to an "on-line name" so to speak.

I also enjoy meeting friends again that I've met on previous cruises or crossings (it can be so easy to miss people on a large ship).

These "meet & greet" gatherings on the ship has in several cases, led to lasting friendships, with us meeting up on dry land, as well as on board.

I also really dislike name-badges at a meet & greet on board. So I totally agree with you.

But then I dislike the "super-organisers" with all their mass cabin-crawls, gifts to total strangers, name tags, speeches, enquiries about how much people paid for their cruise (and smugly telling you they paid less), seating set out in rows (saw that organised once!) etc.

The very worst one I saw was in the Winter Garden where passengers were told by the self-appointed leader to "shut up, no-one can hear me speak if you're all simply chatting amongst yourselves... "

The meetings I've enjoyed most have been casual gatherings; a few friends and/or new acquaintances meeting over a drink and chatting/catching up on news.

Best wishes to you, and happy sailings for the future :) .

Hi Pepperrn. You have put it far more eloquently than I did, but in essence I think the feeling is much the same. I have made friends with other Cunarders and have been invited to their home for garden parties. However, I prefer to meet over breakfast in the Lido, lunch in the MDR or a cocktail in the Commodore club.

Just under two weeks until my next cruise so who knows, maybe a chance meeting will find a friend for life.

... Just under two weeks until my next cruise so who knows, maybe a chance meeting will find a friend for life.
Have the most wonderful time, and a fantastic cruise :) . I hope you meet many life-long friends on board (we can never have too many true friends, can we?). Sincere best wishes to you :)