Princess Grill - A few questions

Marmaduke

We have always been happy with a Britannia stateroom and the service we have received but as it will be a special anniversary next year we are considering up grading to a Princess Grill suite on Queen Victoria. I have few questions regarding the Princess Grill which I hope someone here can answer for me. Any additional information which may help me decide would be welcome.

In addition to the evening fixed menu, which I believe is similar to that offered in the Britannia restaurant, there is also mention of an a la carte menu. Is this available every night or only on certain occasions e.g. formal nights ?

Do you have to book in advance to eat alfresco in the Courtyard or is it on a first come first served basis ?

Is there a proper coffee machine in the Grill restaurants that can dispense americanos and espressos with that special “creme” on top or do they just served the standard coffee made with syrup that you get on all cruise lines ? Also are specialty coffees available in the Grills lounge all day long and are these complementary ?

Is it easy to get a sun lounger on sea days in the height of summer ? I trust that it isn’t the bunfight that in can become on the main pool decks.

Is complimentary bottled water provided in the suites? I believe it was some years ago but can’t find any mention of now.

The quote function isn't working - again - but it isn't necessary at this point.

Our Grills experience is on the Queen Mary 2 and the Queen Elizabeth but as the Queen Victoria has an almost identical layout to the latter I can tell you my experience.

The à la carte menu was available most nights, not just formal nights. On the evenings where they did not have the à la carte menu the main menu was enhanced. Of course, I can't guarantee that is the same this year. A limited amount of "off-menu" ordering is possible, but it is not encouraged as it is in Queen's Grill.

I don't believe it was necessary to book the outdoor dining patio. (Perhaps others can comment on this.) Both Queen's and Princess Grill passengers use it. It is strictly "weather permitting" as would be expected.

I can't comment on coffee as we hardly ever drink it.

Deck chairs are easy to get. The Grills deck area on the QV and QE is quite large, compared to the tiny space on the QM2.

Bottled water was complimentary on all our PG voyages. Everything else in the fridge is charged for.

I would add that the PG staterooms on the QE and QV are nothing special. They are just longer versions of a standard balcony cabin and they have a tub. The balcony is tiny - really a shame for an upscale section of a ship. The balconies on Deck 4 are a little bigger than on the other four decks. We did not pay the stiff PG fare for the stateroom, but for the other amenities. The PG rooms on the Queen Mary 2 are much better in my opinion (not larger, just a better shape with a large balcony) but in my opinion the other Grills amenities - especially their location - are better on the smaller "Queens."

The Grills Lounge is a lovely room for drinks or afternoon tea. At tea time it is often full. The overflow take tea in the PG. We took tea more often in the Queen's Room because of the ambiance. The string quartet or harpist did not play in the Grills Lounge.

Edited by david,Mississauga

Just a couple of small additional comments. The outdoor Courtyard can't be booked - it is first come, first served. And in my experience the a la carte menu isn't available on the first night nor on the evening of the Grills cocktail party (presumably because unlike other evenings most diners will show up at roughly the same time and the galley could not cope with a wide range of orders).

We have always been happy with a Britannia stateroom and the service we have received but as it will be a special anniversary next year we are considering up grading to a Princess Grill suite on Queen Victoria. I have few questions regarding the Princess Grill which I hope someone here can answer for me. Any additional information which may help me decide would be welcome.

In addition to the evening fixed menu, which I believe is similar to that offered in the Britannia restaurant, there is also mention of an a la carte menu. Is this available every night or only on certain occasions e.g. formal nights ?

Do you have to book in advance to eat alfresco in the Courtyard or is it on a first come first served basis ?

Is there a proper coffee machine in the Grill restaurants that can dispense americanos and espressos with that special “creme” on top or do they just served the standard coffee made with syrup that you get on all cruise lines ? Also are specialty coffees available in the Grills lounge all day long and are these complementary ?

Is it easy to get a sun lounger on sea days in the height of summer ? I trust that it isn’t the bunfight that in can become on the main pool decks.

Is complimentary bottled water provided in the suites? I believe it was some years ago but can’t find any mention of now.

I'll try to help.

1)The menu is the same. There might be an item or 2 different from the Britannia menu. There is a nice Al a Carte addition. These are items offered every night & most are very nice. You used to get these every night, but now it's usually the second night.You can also venture off menu(more easily done in Queens Grill)If you venture off menu, it's best to give a day notice(or do it at breakfast with the Maître D)

2)To eat alfresco, it's usually first come first serve. Surprisingly, it's often not too full. Do keep an eye on the weather. Showers can come on quickly in places like the Caribbean.

3)I'm a tea person ,so I really can't comment on the coffee.

4)Loungers are pretty easy to come by. The earlier the better(NO chair hogging!)

5)The bottle water is free, other drinks you're charged for. Hope to be upgraded to a Q-suite then all drinks are free.

6)The Princess Grill rooms on QV/QE really aren't all that special. They are "longer" from entry to veranda, but not very wide. The rooms on QM2 are more spacious overall(383 ft. v/s 333 ft.)

We cruised to Copenhagen and Hamburg on QV in Jan of the year in PG.

The a la carte was offered every night except the first evening. There was a choice of about 7/8 starters on the PG a la carte menu and the same number of main courses. We found that there was sufficient variety for a 7 night cruise. As far as off menu was concerned - this was not offered as an option and although I suspect it can be done they did not seem to encourage it. The assistant restaurant manager discovered that we liked desserts and made a point of concocting a new off menu dessert for us every evening - they were superb.

The level of service was excellent - m wife was unwell on one evening and they sent a special meal down to the cabin for her. Olga, our waitress quickly learned our likes and dislikes - ie - no coffee till after the dessert etc.

We had express coffees which I think came from the Grills Lounge. Coffe for breakfast came from a flask.

The PG cabin on QV is not a patch on the QM2 PG cabins - however we grew to like it more as the week went on. The sitting area was comfortable - the bed also, although the 2 televisions were woefully outdated and need replacing with flat screens. The bathroom lacks a light over the bath so one showers in the dark.

However we liked it enough to book for a QV E Med cruise at the beginning of Sept- however we have chosen a deck 4 cabin for a bigger balcony.

Enjoy your cruise!

We cruised to Copenhagen and Hamburg on QV in Jan of the year in PG.

The a la carte was offered every night except the first evening. There was a choice of about 7/8 starters on the PG a la carte menu and the same number of main courses. We found that there was sufficient variety for a 7 night cruise. As far as off menu was concerned - this was not offered as an option and although I suspect it can be done they did not seem to encourage it. The assistant restaurant manager discovered that we liked desserts and made a point of concocting a new off menu dessert for us every evening - they were superb.

The level of service was excellent - m wife was unwell on one evening and they sent a special meal down to the cabin for her. Olga, our waitress quickly learned our likes and dislikes - ie - no coffee till after the dessert etc.

We had express coffees which I think came from the Grills Lounge. Coffe for breakfast came from a flask.

The PG cabin on QV is not a patch on the QM2 PG cabins - however we grew to like it more as the week went on. The sitting area was comfortable - the bed also, although the 2 televisions were woefully outdated and need replacing with flat screens. The bathroom lacks a light over the bath so one showers in the dark.

However we liked it enough to book for a QV E Med cruise at the beginning of Sept- however we have chosen a deck 4 cabin for a bigger balcony.

Enjoy your cruise!

"Off menu" ability is not mentioned(frequently, I've seen them in brochures)but they used to be easy to do. I've noticed from some pax, that it is harder now to do them in Princess Grill. Queen's Grill should not have a problem granting requests(as I said before, you may need a day in advance)I asked for a cold water(New England/Canada) Lobster to be baked stuffed. I requested a day in advance(always ask to see the Maître D for off menu requests)You should have NO problems.

Good afternoon.

Sailed many times in the Grills, both Princess and Queens.

Never experienced a 'bun-fight' for sun loungers indeed, availability is one of the more civilised aspects of the Grills.

Neither do you need to pre-book a place in the Courtyard. When the weather is right it is a gorgeous place to eat...

8733861283_e39e03ebdb_z.jpg

6)The Princess Grill rooms on QV/QE really aren't all that special. They are "longer" from entry to veranda, but not very wide. The rooms on QM2 are more spacious overall(383 ft. v/s 333 ft.)

Take a visual...

8734980696_d5fd258c2b_z.jpg

and dining...

8734985916_4715ffc266_z.jpg

Take a visual...

8734980696_d5fd258c2b_z.jpg

and dining...

8734985916_4715ffc266_z.jpg

Solent Richard, these photos make me yearn for my trip--only two months to wait for QG on the QE. Is that really a Christmas tree in your cabin?? I see it, but I don't believe it!

Many thanks for all your replies and to Richard for some great photos. I think that we will definitely choose Princess Grill for our aniversary cruise. There was mention of a Grills Cocktail party, is this instead of, or in addition to the normal welcome on board party held in the Queens Room?

There is a Grill's party that may or may not be in the Queen's Room, a World Club party that may be split into two depending on the numbers on board in each tier and a Senior Officers party that seems to have loads attend. Sometimes there is a small party which can be lunch time.

These are often, but by no means always, held in the Queen's Room. Depending on numbers, the drinks and canapes can be better - or worse!

Edited by cruiseluvva

Solent Richard, these photos make me yearn for my trip--only two months to wait for QG on the QE. Is that really a Christmas tree in your cabin?? I see it, but I don't believe it!

Good afternoon Ballater.

It certainly is.

Many thanks for all your replies and to Richard for some great photos. I think that we will definitely choose Princess Grill for our aniversary cruise. There was mention of a Grills Cocktail party, is this instead of, or in addition to the normal welcome on board party held in the Queens Room?

There is a Welcome Cocktail Party for Grills passengers, usually the second formal night. It is also usually shared with the Britannia Club guests.

In days gone by the canapés were somewhat more lavish as well - at least the prawns were larger.

:):)